New(ish)

unclebeer

I got this game several years ago and only put about 40 hours on it before I gave up due to insufficient hardware.   In the meantime I played Spaceflight Simulator (Android) for awhile, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Fast forward to last week and I got a new gaming laptop.  I'm flying (and re-flying) tutorials now to get acquainted with the navball and various markers.  Taking my time as much as possible.  I'll be back soon with lots of stupid questions.

Peace!

42 minutes ago, unclebeer said:

stupid questions.

They don't exist.

Welcome to the forum!  I think you'll find we're a pretty helpful bunch.  Any questions you may have, someone here can answer.

Happy crashing!

10 hours ago, unclebeer said:

I've been flying the docking tutorial for like 3 days now :P

I don't know if it's changed since I tried but I found it to be a little confusing.  This diagram really helped me (click a few times to enlarge):
zAxhwQ5.png

Edited by James Kerman
Added info

When you get close click on the nav ball velocity box so it says target (make sure you have selected your target as your target) the nav ball will now show your direction and velocity relative to the target. Just having a guess at your possible troubles. When I found this out docking became doable for me. Cancel relative velocity(green retrograde marker), then thrust towards target (pink circle) and repeat but not going above about 5m/s. 

2 hours ago, bonyetty said:

When you get close click on the nav ball velocity box so it says target (make sure you have selected your target as your target) the nav ball will now show your direction and velocity relative to the target. Just having a guess at your possible troubles. When I found this out docking became doable for me. Cancel relative velocity(green retrograde marker), then thrust towards target (pink circle) and repeat but not going above about 5m/s. 

More specifically, I typically get within a few hundred meters before I really start having trouble.  I got to within 65 meters one time before I really screwed things up.   I've figured out how to cancel the relative velocity, point towards target retrograde and burn, my problem is catching up to the daggum thing once I get close.  I know I'm missing something, because I've never seen this thing from the image shared above-uxOFLi0.jpg

3 hours ago, unclebeer said:

because I've never seen this thing from the image shared above-

Because that's from a mod.  The only alignment indicator you get in the stock game is the navball.

Also, don't go with the built in docking tutorial.  It's terrible.  You'll be better off scouring the tutorials section of the forum.

I think the biggest thing that trips people up when docking is that they're trying to translate with RCS by looking at the ship itself - which is near impossible unless your control point is orientated perfectly with the screen so that "UP" is truly "UP".   I know it got me for a long, long time.  Kill your relative velocity, target the docking port of the ship you're docking with, and point to it.  Switch to the target, select the docking port as the "Control From Here" point, and have it point at your ship.  Switch back to the ship, and puff forward with RCS.  Use the translate keys, which are IJKL, and use those to keep everything lined up.  Watch the Navball (And make sure it's in target mode), NOT your ships.  Keep the :prograde: and :targetpro: markers lines up, and you should be fine.  Just go slow, I usually dock at ~0.4 m/s.  As soon as the magnets take over, hit "T" to disable your SAS so it doesn't fight the magnets.

18 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Also, don't go with the built in docking tutorial.  It's terrible.  You'll be better off scouring the tutorials section of the forum.

I took your advice and ditched the docking tutorial.  Of course I had to change tactics and modify a stock ship for the docking ports.  Had some comical errors; instead of modding the ship once and loading it up twice I did two different ships and of course screwed up on the docking ports so I was trying to dock a clampotron to a clampotron jr., but hey at least my ships were static at 3 meters apart in the correct orientation so I'd say I'm close.  If I don't get it tonight I'll get it tomorrow.  Still having difficulties with IJKL, but I'm one of those nerds who will just keep at it till I figure it out.  I'll be building ridiculously unwieldy space stations in no time.

Even if the docking tutorial wasn't terrible, this is the better way to do it IMO since F5 and F9 are disabled in the tutorial.