[1.10] Tilt'Em (Planetary axial tilt)

Dagger

19 hours ago, EdwardB3020 said:

I tried it but it still shows the ksc in the equateor 

Then I suppose there are two possible / alternative conclusions we can draw from that:

1. Either you installed it incorrectly; or
  2. It does indeed not work.

Any entries in the log file that point to the latter?

If kopernicus development was active I'd say just make it a part of that mod. Seems like the geniuses that got planets to work in the first place could solve the issues to integrate tilt. Everyday I hope this mod will come back. Such I small change that makes the game much more interesting.

15 hours ago, Svm420 said:

If kopernicus development was active I'd say just make it a part of that mod. Seems like the geniuses that got planets to work in the first place could solve the issues to integrate tilt. Everyday I hope this mod will come back. Such I small change that makes the game much more interesting.

Oh if you knew...

The reality is that axial tilt is no "small change", it's an entirely different way of doing the physics calculations at some points. Hence why the first (and only) working version is from Principia which just does everything on it's own. Also, if I could fix it, I could have also written it long time ago. Which I haven't. :P Dagger has really done a great job with this, which is why I refused from the very beginning to integrate it into the core of Kopernicus (and instead showed Dagger how to make it a Kopernicus plugin): Dagger deserves all the credit and attention for this.

But that attention is part of the problem I guess. Dagger hit some of the same roadblocks everyone who tried to make an axial tilt mod (including me) hit. But his mod already got a lot of (premature) attention at that point, especially by people going around and annoying, even pressuring planet makers to add Tilt'Em support immediately. As a developer, that puts such a high pressure onto you, that I can understand why Dagger seems to have abadoned it.

And to be honest I cannot see anyone voluntarily loading that pressure onto their own shoulders by forking, fixing and maintaining it.

Also Kopernicus development is very active. I willingly break it on every KSP update so it rather has to be. :P

Sorry there is assumptions in my post and more could be read. I figured dagger has been doing this on his own didn't know he already sought others input. Also didn't know you were still around Thomas hadn't seen you on the forums. I've been gone a while and and a lot of modders have moved on as life usually does. Anyway if this mod never continues life will go on just want to show my own interest in this great endeavor.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting a surface speed bug when landed, or even before launch (53m/s in this case). Otherwise the mod seems to be working really well for me in v1.6.1. I really hope Dagger returns and decides to complete this mod. Seems it could be a cornerstone of the modding community.

• 2 months later...

The mod doesn't work. It tilts the planet but not the rotation axis. Go to the config file and change the tilt for Duna to 90 degrees.  You will see that rotation axis tilt didn't change although polar caps moved to equator. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 11:55 AM, Codapop said:

I'm getting a surface speed bug when landed, or even before launch (53m/s in this case). Otherwise the mod seems to be working really well for me in v1.6.1. I really hope Dagger returns and decides to complete this mod. Seems it could be a cornerstone of the modding community.

Managed to solve this and some other bugs.

Still, I had to add a correction slider as I still can't manage to sync the orbits when in inverse rotation.

Also when switching to rotation, the LAN parameter changes and also the pariapsis/apoapsies varies around 10 meters... This means that I have to mess with the orbital stuff from KSP but that part of the code is not easy to understand :(

Edited by Dagger

I'm probably doing something wrong with my install, but for me the 1.2.0 release doesn't work (no axial tilt appears on any planet), the exception that I see in the console is:
Exception: TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'TiltEm.TiltEm' from assembly 'Tiltem, Version=1.2.0.73, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
I'm using it in a fresh KSP 1.7.3 install with the latest Kopernicus and required dependencies, and no other mods for testing.

I have also tried KSP 1.7.1 with and without Kopernicus, and KSP 1.7.2 without Kopernicus.

Edited by Spica
more info

9 hours ago, Spica said:

I'm probably doing something wrong with my install, but for me the 1.2.0 release doesn't work (no axial tilt appears on any planet), the exception that I see in the console is:
Exception: TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'TiltEm.TiltEm' from assembly 'Tiltem, Version=1.2.0.73, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
I'm using it in a fresh KSP 1.7.3 install with the latest Kopernicus and required dependencies, and no other mods for testing.

I have also tried KSP 1.7.1 with and without Kopernicus, and KSP 1.7.2 without Kopernicus.

You are right. I forgot to copy a dll aswell in the release. Now it should work.

I recommend you to get the debug version and adjust the slider when below 100K meters. I'm trying to find a way to get that exact value but I'm quite lost on that. 

If someone can help me (need to know how ksp orbit works) I think I would be able to solve it and finish the mod.

The only thing left is that the LAN value for active vessels orbits when switching to inverse rotation changes and it's periapsis/apoapsis values have some small rounding error

Here are the current issues explained: https://github.com/LunaMultiplayer/TiltEm/issues

Edited by Dagger

I think the problems you're facing come from the fact that all orbits in KSP are measured in a plane parallel to the ecliptic.

However, the reference plane that inclination and LAN are measured about for planets is the equator of that planet, not the ecliptic plane.

The angle difference between the ecliptic and planetary equator is messing up the orbital elements.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used this extensively in 1.7.3; it seems the main problems arise when physics warping (including 1x) through the arbitrary boundary of each body (typically 100km). Also causes issues if loading a quicksave in orbit. So if anyone really wants to use it instead of Principia, just keep those in mind.

Also if anyone is wondering for creating tilt configs, the tiltx and tiltz axes relate to the ascending node as follows (if I can recall correctly): 

AN = 0 degrees -->  - z

AN = 90 degrees --> -x

AN 180 degrees --> z

AN 270 degrees --> x

just imagine a unit circle with -z at 0 radians, -x at pi/2, z at pi, and x at 3pi/2

then just use trig equations to get the values you need

inclination = sqrt(x^2 + z^2)

AN = tan(x/z)      (make sure to use the angle in the correct quadrant)

this way you can match a planets tilt to the orbital inclination of its moon(s) or match the axial tilt of a tidally-locked body to the inclination of its orbit around its parent.

there definitely are a few reliability issues; notably it seems that either adding new celestial bodies or every other game load sometimes throws the tilts in a different direction.

Edited by Iodyne

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 3:54 AM, Dagger said:

You are right. I forgot to copy a dll aswell in the release. Now it should work.

I recommend you to get the debug version and adjust the slider when below 100K meters. I'm trying to find a way to get that exact value but I'm quite lost on that. 

If someone can help me (need to know how ksp orbit works) I think I would be able to solve it and finish the mod.

The only thing left is that the LAN value for active vessels orbits when switching to inverse rotation changes and it's periapsis/apoapsis values have some small rounding error

Here are the current issues explained: https://github.com/LunaMultiplayer/TiltEm/issues

do you plan on revisiting this mod its very cool

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.