Mysterious cloud on Mars.

Scotius

Something unusual popped up on Mars photos recently.

Elongated_cloud_on_Mars_node_full_image_

ESA confirms that it's indeed a cloud, because there is a shadow noticeable below it. Also, it looks like it originates from vicinity of Arsia Mons volcano. Recent eruption?

Edited by Scotius
A typo.

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

but should we rule out a large deposit of subsurface water that got exposed and is boiling/sublimating?

Plausible, but seems to be in a weird location, on the side of a mountain.    Very plausible that a large landslide would expose such a deposit, but I'm no geologist, but that seems like an odd spot for such a deposit to have formed. 

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Plausible, but seems to be in a weird location, on the side of a mountain.    Very plausible that a large landslide would expose such a deposit, but I'm no geologist, but that seems like an odd spot for such a deposit to have formed. 

Also would have to be a big landslide and a big deposit to produce such a large cloud.

Although, I guess there is a cloud that big on Mars regardless of how it got there, so that's exciting.

Edited by cubinator

6 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Although, I guess there is a cloud that big on Mars regardless of how it got there, so that's exciting.

Very exciting!   Regardless of the actual source, it'll be something new and interesting.    Wonder if it's the burning wreckage of an alien ship?   :D

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Very exciting!   Regardless of the actual source, it'll be something new and interesting.    Wonder if it's the burning wreckage of an alien ship?   :D

"Those damn Earthling satellites NEVER use their %#&%)% blinkers!"

The article @Shpaget linked says it is a lee cloud, a regular seasonal phenomenon. Has been observed 2009, -12 and 15.

Lee clouds on earth can be for example tail of varying length of fractus clouds from turbulence, or lenticularis clouds from waves on the lee side of mountains.

At least future inhabitants will have some weather phenomena to observe ;-)

--------

Different phenomenon of dynamics, but equally of orographic nature, lee vortices "behind" the Canary islands:

https://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/60000/60766/Canary.A2002186.1155.1km.jpg

Edited by Green Baron

13 hours ago, Scotius said:

Something unusual popped up on Mars photos recently.

Elongated_cloud_on_Mars_node_full_image_

ESA confirms that it's indeed a cloud, because there is a shadow noticeable below it. Also, it looks like it originates from vicinity of Arsia Mons volcano. Recent eruption?

Cloud or not, that planet looks beautiful in the pic

ESA puts it as a probable interpretation. Idk if there is spectroscopy of it. One can find reports of the cloud from 2002 and 2005 as well (Nasa).

I am on the side of atmospheric origin. But we cannot totally rule out a volcanologic cause but afaik there is no more crustal heat available or mantle convection going on on Mars that could cause it. Though this is half a speculation/question ...

Edited by Green Baron

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

ESA puts it as a probable interpretation. Idk if there is spectroscopy of it. One can find reports of the cloud from 2002 and 2005 as well (Nasa).

I am on the side of atmospheric origin. But we cannot totally rule out a volcanologic cause but afaik there is no more crustal heat available or mantle convection going on on Mars that could cause it. Though this is half a speculation/question ...

Are there any working seismometers on Mars?

5 hours ago, Scotius said:

I look at those colossal shield volcanoes, and try to imagine the scale of eruptions they were capable of. Entire planet must have been shaking like a glob of jelly! :confused:

You'd have been able to hear it halfway round the globe except the atmosphere probably wasn't as thick as Earth's even then...

Afaik (but i may be wrong) Marsian volcanism is assumed to have been mostly effusive, though the lesser gravity causes gases to bubble out at greater depth than on earth. Some plinian fireworks shows may have occurred :cool: Marsian Volcanoes grew so huge because the magma chambers may have been larger than those on earth and Mars has no plate tectonics, thus the lava dikes and vents remained stable over longer periods of time and, equally important, there is much less erosion than on earth.

On earth, after 10s of millions of years, there is not much left even even of great mountain ranges, after a few 100 millions of years surface features are completely gone and only the outcrops of the metamorphic basement tells: here was a mountain range. But there is no general rule for the speed of erosion.

Mars surface features like the volcanoes are very old compared to earth. I mean very old. :beardedkerbal:

Edited by Green Baron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.