Mod suggestion - Snackified Life Support

TomPN

I've played around with TAC Life Support a bit. I quite like the idea of a life support mod, but TAC requires quite a bit of micro-managing, especially with the food resource. I started to come up with an idea of an easier to use life support mod (more suitable for beginners?), but then I realised I have no idea how to create parts. If anybody does, and thinks this is a good idea, please send me a message.

The details for the idea are as follows:

• Kerbals require a single life support resource, called Snacks
  • 1 unit of Snacks weighs 1 kg
  • Snack containers weigh 1kg (dry mass) for every 8kg of Snacks they hold (9kg wet mass)
  • Kerbals consume 1 unit of Snacks every hour
  • If Kerbals run out of Snacks, they go into hibernation until more Snacks are provided.
    • A Kerbal in hibernation can't be controlled, like a probe core with electricity
  • Command pods hold 12 units of Snacks (2 days supply) for every Kerbal they can hold.
    • The External Command Seat only holds 3 units of Snacks
    • A Kerbal on EVA holds 3 units of Snacks, in addition to their monopropellant
  • Non-command pod parts that can hold Kerbals (e.g. the Hitchhiker capsule) holds 6 units of Snacks for every Kerbal they can hold.
  • There are intended to be several dedicated Snack containers:
    • The Tiny Snack tank (0.625m part, about the size of the Oscar-B fuel tank) holds 24 Snacks
    • The Emergency Snack Box (similar in size to the Experiment Storage Unit) holds 36 Snacks
    • The Small Snack tank (1.25m part, about the size of the Advanced Inline Stabilizer) holds 96 Snacks
    • The Large Snack tank (2.5m part, about the size of the Advanced Reaction Wheel Module, Large) holds 192 Snacks
    • The Deep-Space Snack Storer (2.5m part, about the size of the Large Holding Tank) holds 1800 Snacks, intended for a three-Kerbal, 100-day mission
    • The Mega Deep-Space Snack Container (3.75m part, about the size of the Kerbodyne S3-3600 tank) holds 9000 Snacks, intended for a three-Kerbal, 500-day mission in deep space
  • The Snackificator is a 2.5m part (about the size of the Convert-O-Tron 250) that functions in a similar manner to an ISRU:
    • 1 unit of ore + 20 units of electricity -> 10 units of Snacks
      • Conseration of mass: 10kg ore (1 unit) -> 10kg Snacks (10 units)
    • It can have a heat efficiency modifier, like how the in-game ISRU's do, and need radiators to cool it down
    • Intended for use of surface bases, to produce Snacks for colonies

If anybody has any suggestions of how this could be implemented, or made better, please comment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.