[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

On 12/19/2022 at 10:47 PM, mark7 said:

You can find my craft file and log file here, it is mostly stock with tweakscale and KCLV parts.

Please, next time provide a craft file which doesn't require me to install a dozen additional mods.  This one required TweakScale, RealFuels, RemoteTech, Ferram Aerospace (FAR) and everything that goes along with it.

I still haven't figured out what mods are needed for the part:  KCLV-CZ7A-Stage-2

According to the log file, that part is:

KIU/KIU_Chinese_Launch_Vehicle_pack/Parts/CZ-7A/Tanks/CZ7A_S2_Tank/KCLV_CZ7A_Stage_2

But it's not in the mod I downloaded with CKAN

Besides taking time to first figure out what I need to install, all these additional mods clutter up the issue.  Would be best to send a minimal craft from a minimal install to replicate the issue

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, mark7 said:

I am using 1.9.6.

Ok, what about that missing part?

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

KIU/KIU_Chinese_Launch_Vehicle_pack/Parts/CZ-7A/Tanks/CZ7A_S2_Tank/KCLV_CZ7A_Stage_2

????

On 12/18/2022 at 9:03 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.9.6

• Added RealFuels engine module:  ModuleEnginesRF
  • Added scrolling bar to  part list in editor

I finally got a chance to sit down with KSP again and that scroll bar works like a charm.

Thank-you, kindly.

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, what about that missing part?

????

OMG I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience I have caused! Actually, I don't even remember I have ever sent the following post! I guess having a fever have a greater effect then I expected  

21 hours ago, mark7 said:

I am using 1.9.6.

And the version is indeed 1.9.6.0, I myself don't understand how I figured that out...

On 12/23/2022 at 1:06 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Please, next time provide a craft file which doesn't require me to install a dozen additional mods.  This one required TweakScale, RealFuels, RemoteTech, Ferram Aerospace (FAR) and everything that goes along with it.

I still haven't figured out what mods are needed for the part:  KCLV-CZ7A-Stage-2

Besides taking time to first figure out what I need to install, all these additional mods clutter up the issue.  Would be best to send a minimal craft from a minimal install to replicate the issue

This is my bad, it is actually a part in the yet-to-release version in my mod, which, if you want, can be found here. I will also make a minimal craft to replicate the issue later.

Edit: You can find the craft file and KCLV mod here. I realize that the problem is on the yet-to-release version of KCLV so I included the mod in the link. You may wanna delete all previous install of KIU and unzip the KIU file to Gamedata. 

Edited by mark7

• 2 months later...

Hey @linuxgurugamer i've been reading about a bug in the page 12, related to using RealChutes with SR. I'm experiencing similar problems. When changing thrust limiter value (the dragable bar) or the combustible levels, it causes a huge lag and even lead to crash. I tried to delay SR calculations to 10 which is the max limit, but i still have lag after that delay passes. Do i have to select something? Everything else is working, it would be a shame to play this without knowing how much money i'm getting back :P

Edit: I uninstalled because i cannot disable the mod with the option which is inside settings (it's not working, it still calculates after i disabled each option), i'll let RC auto-calculate, cause i didn't find a better chute model, the only bad thing is that it will use huge chutes but well, it's ok. Better than have huge lags and CPU usage spikes when dragging thrust limiter or loading new vessels into VAB.
Should CKAN advise that SR and RC are not compatible or at least, u will have sttuter when using together in concrete scenarios??

Edited by NaviG

• 1 month later...

Hi, I seem to have ran into a little bit of an issue. It's a very slight issue, but it is making my game a little unbalanced.

It seems that the stage recovery mod is refunding full amount of money for fuel that my booster stages can carry... Despite all of it being burned up.
Is this a known interaction with any other mods (I have a bunch of them...)? If not, can someone provide me with a tutorial on where to find those mythical "logs", which I assume will be needed to get any support in this case? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Mimi said:

If not, can someone provide me with a tutorial on where to find those mythical "logs", which I assume will be needed to get any support in this case? Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.  Use a file sharing service, such as Dropbox or Google Drive, and upload your logs there.  Post a link to those files here.   Since log files can be very large, don't post them directly.  Instead, ensure you demonstrate your problem with the minimum KSP run and quit quickly to keep the file size down.

Edited by Brigadier

Hi, I have a problem that has also been mentioned in this thread. It's when Stage Recovery and Real Chutes are both installed together, causing lag/stuttering in the VAB. I've tested both in a stock install with the bare minimum mods installed, and there is no lag with either or both removed. Now I know that doesn't rule out Real Chutes as the culprit, but it's no longer being developed as far as I can see, so I wondered if linuxgurugamer could kindly look at the log file please to see what's going on?

To test, I loaded a basic craft with both mods installed, switched to 8x symmetry, picked a stock radial chute, then right click to rotate the camera. I repeated this with a Real Chute radial chute. Only the Real Chute produces the lag. It also happens with the nose mounted type if you try to place a few at once.

Then I performed the same test with Stage Recovery removed, no lag at all, either with the stock chute or the real chute.

Loading speed of a more complex craft file, especially with lots of chutes (Stock or Real) is also severely impacted.

Turning off Stage Recovery in settings seems to have no effect, it has to be completely removed from GameData.

Increasing the auto calculation speed to 10 seconds just delays the time for the lag to start, but then seems to be worse when it actually starts.

Logs and videos below.

Log with SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/px7pnotsz1jnr1o/With Stage Recovery.log?dl=0

Log without SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rmetonpelnhlxk/No Stage Recovery.log?dl=0

Video - Lag in VAB with SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urv83ecg0fj3x95/VAB Lag With Stage Recovery.mkv?dl=0

Video - No Lag in VAB without SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onl3luzpm69alxj/VAB - No Stage Recovery.mkv?dl=0

Craft File Used For Test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ass4fv2m6ls1h0l/Untitled Space Craft.craft?dl=0

1 hour ago, Mark L said:

snip

I've experienced this as well, but I thought it was a different mod causing it. What you posted is exactly what I experience with chutes and nose cones. I also have a similar problem with configurable containers which is why I thought maybe it was that. I should test removing SR or RealChutes and see what happens..

4 minutes ago, Nori said:

I've experienced this as well, but I thought it was a different mod causing it. What you posted is exactly what I experience with chutes and nose cones. I also have a similar problem with configurable containers which is why I thought maybe it was that. I should test removing SR or RealChutes and see what happens..

Yeah I tested it with a stock install to make sure it was nothing else. Only mods installed are Stage Recovery, FMRS, Recovery Controller, Real Chute, plus dependencies Click Through Blocker, ToolbarControl, SpaceTuxLibrary, and ModuleManager. Remove either SR or RealChute and the problem is gone. I've removed RC for now because it's not as important to me, but I would like to have both if possible.

On 5/12/2023 at 4:50 PM, Mark L said:

Yeah I tested it with a stock install to make sure it was nothing else. Only mods installed are Stage Recovery, FMRS, Recovery Controller, Real Chute, plus dependencies Click Through Blocker, ToolbarControl, SpaceTuxLibrary, and ModuleManager. Remove either SR or RealChute and the problem is gone. I've removed RC for now because it's not as important to me, but I would like to have both if possible.

You should cross post to the Realchute thread. Chris was active there just a month ago, so maybe he can look at it.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:35 PM, Mark L said:

Hi, I have a problem that has also been mentioned in this thread. It's when Stage Recovery and Real Chutes are both installed together, causing lag/stuttering in the VAB. I've tested both in a stock install with the bare minimum mods installed, and there is no lag with either or both removed. Now I know that doesn't rule out Real Chutes as the culprit, but it's no longer being developed as far as I can see, so I wondered if linuxgurugamer could kindly look at the log file please to see what's going on?

To test, I loaded a basic craft with both mods installed, switched to 8x symmetry, picked a stock radial chute, then right click to rotate the camera. I repeated this with a Real Chute radial chute. Only the Real Chute produces the lag. It also happens with the nose mounted type if you try to place a few at once.

Then I performed the same test with Stage Recovery removed, no lag at all, either with the stock chute or the real chute.

Loading speed of a more complex craft file, especially with lots of chutes (Stock or Real) is also severely impacted.

Turning off Stage Recovery in settings seems to have no effect, it has to be completely removed from GameData.

Increasing the auto calculation speed to 10 seconds just delays the time for the lag to start, but then seems to be worse when it actually starts.

Logs and videos below.

Log with SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/px7pnotsz1jnr1o/With Stage Recovery.log?dl=0

Log without SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rmetonpelnhlxk/No Stage Recovery.log?dl=0

Video - Lag in VAB with SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urv83ecg0fj3x95/VAB Lag With Stage Recovery.mkv?dl=0

Video - No Lag in VAB without SR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onl3luzpm69alxj/VAB - No Stage Recovery.mkv?dl=0

Craft File Used For Test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ass4fv2m6ls1h0l/Untitled Space Craft.craft?dl=0

Not sure why, but the lag seems to be caused by something in RC, as shown by these messages:

[RealChute]: Could not find the transform "canopy" in the library 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

These messages repeat continously

Edited by linuxgurugamer

According to your video, you are getting the lag when you have a part selected, but not yet applied.

Stage Recovery is doing lots of calculations, trying to keep track of all the chutes.  What I see happening is the following:

You select a part

You then start waving that part around.  Notice how, when you move the mouse over the rocket, it actually puts down 8 parachutes for a moment, then removes them

It's that moment when KSP creates 8 new parachutes, and calls all the modules which are in each part.  There are at least three modules in each RC part, so you now are initializing 24 modules, and then almost immediately destroying all those modules.  If you don't have a fast computer, you are going to see the lag.

Regarding Stage Recovery, it doesn't add any modules to the parts, but, it is doing calculations anytime the ship is modified.  With what you are doing, I believe it is being called numerous times per second while your mouse is moving over the ship.  Notice that there isn't any lag when the mouse is not over the vessel.

The only think I can suggest doing is to increate the VAB Autocalculation delay a bit to try to avoid all the multiple recalculations

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure why, but the lag seems to be caused by something in RC, as shown by these messages:

These messages repeat continously

Thanks for looking at it, much appreciated. I did notice those messages when I opened the console in-game. I might make a post on the RC thread to see what's going on there, I'll just have to make do without RC for now.

Just now, Mark L said:

Thanks for looking at it, much appreciated. I did notice those messages when I opened the console in-game. I might make a post on the RC thread to see what's going on there, I'll just have to make do without RC for now.

I don't think  I've ever not used RealChute in 10 years of playing this game.. Well probably in the first few versions I played... At least since version 0.24 though.

I tried it out once a couple of years ago in my stock career game and just decided I could do without, was trying to keep part mods to a minimum in stock. I'm just starting an RO/RSS career now and going all out on part mods haha. I only really need Real Chutes for scaling to smaller vessels anyway. I would use Tweakscale instead but it doesn't scale chutes ;.;

2 hours ago, Mark L said:

I think you can ignore those messages.  From what I saw, the only issues you are having is the lag while you are dragging the camera around while having 8x symmetry AND moving the mouse over the vessel.

So, just don't wave around a chute with 8x symmetry and you might be ok

57 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think you can ignore those messages.  From what I saw, the only issues you are having is the lag while you are dragging the camera around while having 8x symmetry AND moving the mouse over the vessel.

So, just don't wave around a chute with 8x symmetry and you might be ok

Yeah, the other problem is though, that whenever I detach a part, such as, say a tank, and then re-attach it, it will lag like hell while the whole vessel is updating. So editing a ship becomes tedious and unplayable really.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 9:37 PM, Mark L said:

Yeah, the other problem is though, that whenever I detach a part, such as, say a tank, and then re-attach it, it will lag like hell while the whole vessel is updating. So editing a ship becomes tedious and unplayable really.

If you change the fuel ammount, it happens too at the time you slide the bar.

I don't understand the backend code at all, but what I don't get is why SR has to calculated anything in the VAB while we are building a rocket.... Couldn't it just calculate when we hit launch or save or something? Or make it a manual button, or only do it every x minutes. Just some random thoughts. Whenever I load a craft the game locks up for about 15-30 seconds and it is SR doing it because when I changed the SR calculate delta time, I noticed the lock up would happen that much later.

15 hours ago, Nori said:

I don't understand the backend code at all, but what I don't get is why SR has to calculated anything in the VAB while we are building a rocket.... Couldn't it just calculate when we hit launch or save or something? Or make it a manual button, or only do it every x minutes. Just some random thoughts. Whenever I load a craft the game locks up for about 15-30 seconds and it is SR doing it because when I changed the SR calculate delta time, I noticed the lock up would happen that much later.

There is a mode where you can see if there are enough chutes on each stage to do a successful recovery.

When you change things (such as mass, etc), it needs to be recalculated.

Load a craft up, and then click the SR button in the toolbar, it will bring up a window where you can see this info.

Regarding calculating, it already only does it when something changes. 

Regarding a delay, there already is a setting to delay the recalculation, you can change it in the stock settings.  The default is 1/2 a sec, you can increase it up to 10 seconds in the  stock settings page.  There are some other settings there as well which might be of interest, including a toggle where you can disable the mod

On 5/30/2023 at 9:23 PM, Mark L said:

I can't disable SR in the options either, it still calculates in the VAB, so the only solution is to remove SR or Real Chute.

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

There are some other settings there as well which might be of interest, including a toggle where you can disable the mod

That toggle doesn't seem to do anything, NaviG also reported the same thing a few posts back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.