[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

I seem to be having a bug (using StageRecovery and Scrapyard) where if I recover an entire vessel into the VAB, and fly it again, any SRB's that were staged previously will immediately start firing when the vessel loads. Is this a known bug or mod conflict?

On 7/4/2019 at 8:09 PM, subyng said:

I seem to be having a bug (using StageRecovery and Scrapyard) where if I recover an entire vessel into the VAB, and fly it again, any SRB's that were staged previously will immediately start firing when the vessel loads. Is this a known bug or mod conflict?

That's a Scrapyard issue.  Sounds like it's not being reset properly

On 7/4/2019 at 5:09 PM, subyng said:

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That's a Scrapyard issue.  Sounds like it's not being reset properly

Yeah, definitely post this over on Scrapyard. @severedsolo may be able to track this down.

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure it out.  I put parachutes on my liquid stages to recover them as I am on initial boost off Kerbin.  They kept getting destroyed so then I thought maybe I needed probes and batteries even though I was telling it to trigger parachutes at min safe altitude when I go to my next stage?  This is what my craft looks like now.  Can someone tell me what I"m doing wrong?

1tBqnHd.jpg

2 hours ago, jpinard said:

I am doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure it out.  I put parachutes on my liquid stages to recover them as I am on initial boost off Kerbin.  They kept getting destroyed so then I thought maybe I needed probes and batteries even though I was telling it to trigger parachutes at min safe altitude when I go to my next stage?  This is what my craft looks like now.  Can someone tell me what I"m doing wrong?

Click on the SR button to see the landing speed of those stages. You probably don't have enough parachutes.

9 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Click on the SR button to see the landing speed of those stages. You probably don't have enough parachutes.

You can see that info?  Cool!  Though I had the window open and the only info I saw was whether stuff was destroyed or survived but I will look again.

9 hours ago, ggerolamo said:

I would put (activate)  the first separator at least at the same stage as the parachutes !!

Better:

stage 6 - separator

stage 5 -parachutes

greetings

ggerolamo

So I don't need to run parachutes before I hit stage separation?  That would be good because doing it the way I am is annoying and gets me in trouble.

12 hours ago, jpinard said:

Can someone tell me what I"m doing wrong?

Do the side booster stages separate cleanly and stay clear of each other after separation? I routinely see a clean separation from my core and then the separated stages collide somewhere behind the rocket. Sometimes adding a fin to the outboard side of the booster will help the separation, or you might need sepratrons which would go in the same stage with chutes and separators

The number of chutes look fine. You don't need the probe cores and batteries unless you are trying for as powered landing recovery. Where is this supposed to be going? It has a helluva lot of dV for anywhere in Kerbin's SOI.

I traded your probe cores for fairings and added fins to the side boosters. 

Sticking with most of the same parts, this is how I would arrange staging. I never have a separator in a stage by itself, I always include any chutes and/or engines that would fire if I were going through consecutive stages.

gMYxV07.png

1 hour ago, jpinard said:

You can see that info?  Cool!  Though I had the window open and the only info I saw was whether stuff was destroyed or survived but I will look again.

Not in flight, in the VAB, wouldn't help much to find out you don't have enough parachutes only after you take off. In the VAB, click on the SR button and click on Highlight if it isn't clicked already. Each stage of your vehicle will be highlighted in red/yellow/green, and I don't think I need to explain what that indicates about landing speed/recovery value.

15 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Not in flight, in the VAB, wouldn't help much to find out you don't have enough parachutes only after you take off. In the VAB, click on the SR button and click on Highlight if it isn't clicked already. Each stage of your vehicle will be highlighted in red/yellow/green, and I don't think I need to explain what that indicates about landing speed/recovery value.

Than you kind sir.  I would have been tearing my hair out looking for those figures in flight.

The icon for this mod in my game is now just a large white square.  I had a crash and then this happened.  I use CKAN and uninstalled the mod and reinstalled and it is still just a white square.  The mod looks fine but the icon is kind of ugly and distracting on the toolbar.  I thought maybe it was the dx11 switch so I removed that, but the issue is still there.  note - I delete any remaining folders/files CKAN leaves behind.

5 hours ago, jpinard said:

The icon for this mod in my game is now just a large white square.  I had a crash and then this happened.  I use CKAN and uninstalled the mod and reinstalled and it is still just a white square.  The mod looks fine but the icon is kind of ugly and distracting on the toolbar.  I thought maybe it was the dx11 switch so I removed that, but the issue is still there.  note - I delete any remaining folders/files CKAN leaves behind.

I'm having the same issue as jpinard here. Also for some reason when I did have it working, parts that I sent back from the Mun to Kerbin just up and vanish. Does't give a lost or recovered option. Only seems to work for parts in the ascent process.

5 hours ago, jpinard said:

It may be the toolbar or toolbarcontroller. They will be updated in a day or so, I’ll take a look at this tomorrow

5 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

Also for some reason when I did have it working, parts that I sent back from the Mun to Kerbin just up and vanish. Does't give a lost or recovered option. Only seems to work for parts in the ascent process.

That's probably KSP doing cleanup.  Post a log when it happens and ping me, I'll take a look

New release, 1.9.1.1

• Fixed issue with showing remaining fuel on one stage and another stage not having liquid fuel (ie: solid), was getting GUI errors
  • Moved RegisterToolbar into it's own file
  • Added InstallChecker
  • Updated AssemblyVersion.tt

I can confirm that, but it'd probably be better to get a log from someone with fewer mods. For Some reason I don't get a message anymore on the final craft/pod, but if I look up the flight history the craft did crash and the pilot did die. Works as intended for the entire ascent part - tbh I figured it was just me and using JNSQ/Tweakchute

On 7/24/2019 at 3:37 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

That's probably KSP doing cleanup.  Post a log when it happens and ping me, I'll take a look

New release, 1.9.1.1

• Fixed issue with showing remaining fuel on one stage and another stage not having liquid fuel (ie: solid), was getting GUI errors
  • Moved RegisterToolbar into it's own file
  • Added InstallChecker
  • Updated AssemblyVersion.tt

Thank you - you fixed the all white icon!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have noticed some irregularities with Stage Recovery (great mod, thank you so much for maintaining it!) percentage calculation in the Editor GUI and the Engine Plates from the Making History expansion.

After looking more closely, it seems like stuff attached to the "engine nodes" is seen by SR as belonging to the stage below the engine plate and therefore the mass calculation for the stage with the engine plate at the bottom is incorrect.

Hki7hTb.jpg

I poked around the code a bit and at first glance the issue seems to be located in EditorGUI.cs in

StageParts DetermineStage(Part parent) {...}

where parts are only checked if they implement the IStageSeparator interface, but some logic is missing to correctly handle the 2 different types of nodes of the engine plates.

I know you have a lot of work to do with maintaining so many great mods. Maybe I could find some time this week to have a go at it myself (and find a fix and create PR on github) but I can't promise anything.

Trying to debug some repeated freezes occuring in the VAB, which is very tricky given the number of mods I have installed, but I seem to be getting a series of StageRecovery related errors occuring in the log at the time of the freeze. Can anyone tell me what they mean and if they might be causing my problem? Can upload full logs if anyone wants to have a look.

[ERR 09:02:01.375] StageRecovery: No parent part found

[ERR 09:02:08.177] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class RecoveryController:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RecoveryController.RecoveryController.onVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 09:02:08.179] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	RecoveryController.RecoveryController.onVesselWasModified (.Vessel v)
	EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
	RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:AddTransmitter()
	RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:SetState(Boolean)
	RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleRTAntenna:OnStart(StartState)
	Part:ModulesOnStart()
	<Start>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)
[LOG 09:02:08.182] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTDataTransmitter::OnLoad
[LOG 09:02:08.182] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Find TRANSMITTER success.
[LOG 09:02:08.182] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Add TRANSMITTER success.
[ERR 09:02:08.186] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class RecoveryController:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RecoveryController.RecoveryController.onVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 09:02:08.188] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 09:02:08.191] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTDataTransmitter::OnLoad
[LOG 09:02:08.191] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Find TRANSMITTER success.
[LOG 09:02:08.191] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Add TRANSMITTER success.
[ERR 09:02:08.196] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class RecoveryController:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 09:02:08.197] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 09:02:08.200] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTDataTransmitter::OnLoad
[LOG 09:02:08.200] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Find TRANSMITTER success.
[LOG 09:02:08.200] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntenna: Add TRANSMITTER success.
[ERR 09:02:08.205] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class RecoveryController:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 09:02:08.207] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 09:05:20.807] Exception handling event onEditorShipModified in class StageRecovery:System.StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Lingoona.NativeMethods:useGrammar (string,int,string[],int)
  at Lingoona.Grammar.useGrammar (System.String template, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.Localization.Localizer.FormatWithLingoona (System.String template, System.String[] parameterList) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.Localization.Localizer._Format (System.String template, System.String[] parameterList) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP.Localization.Localizer.Format (System.String template, System.String[] list) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSPUtil.LocalizeNumber (Single value, System.String format) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BaseField.GetStringValue (System.Object host, Boolean gui) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BaseFieldList.Save (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModule.Save (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.ModuleTankManager.OnBeforeSerialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object:INTERNAL_CALL_Internal_InstantiateSingle (UnityEngine.Object,UnityEngine.Vector3&,UnityEngine.Quaternion&)
  at UnityEngine.Object.Internal_InstantiateSingle (UnityEngine.Object data, Vector3 pos, Quaternion rot) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate[Part] (.Part original, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeSystem.RenderProceduralDragCube (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeList.SetDragWeights_Procedural () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeList.SetDragWeights () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.StageRecovery.GetChuteArea (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.EditorGUI.BreakShipIntoStages () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.EditorGUI.Recalculate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.StageRecovery.ShipModifiedEvent (.ShipConstruct sc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[ShipConstruct].Fire (.ShipConstruct data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.Utils.UpdateEditorGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.ModuleSwitchableTank.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate (UnityEngine.Object,bool)
  at UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate (UnityEngine.Object obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeSystem.SetupPartForRender (.Part part, UnityEngine.GameObject partObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeSystem.RenderProceduralDragCube (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.StageRecovery.GetChuteArea (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.EditorGUI.BreakShipIntoStages () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.EditorGUI.Recalculate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.StageRecovery.ShipModifiedEvent (.ShipConstruct sc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[ShipConstruct].Fire (.ShipConstruct data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.Utils.UpdateEditorGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AT_Utils.ModuleSwitchableTank.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate (UnityEngine.Object,bool)
  at UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate (UnityEngine.Object obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeSystem.SetupPartForRender (.Part part, UnityEngine.GameObject partObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[EXC 09:05:25.380] StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
	Lingoona.Grammar.useGrammar (System.String template, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parameters)
	KSP.Localization.Localizer.FormatWithLingoona (System.String template, System.String[] parameterList)
	KSP.Localization.Localizer._Format (System.String template, System.String[] parameterList)
	KSP.Localization.Localizer.Format (System.String template, System.String[] list)
	KSPUtil.LocalizeNumber (Single value, System.String format)
	BaseField.GetStringValue (System.Object host, Boolean gui)
	BaseFieldList.Save (.ConfigNode node)
	PartModule.Save (.ConfigNode node)
	AT_Utils.ModuleTankManager.OnBeforeSerialize ()
	UnityEngine.Object.Internal_InstantiateSingle (UnityEngine.Object data, Vector3 pos, Quaternion rot)
	UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation)
	UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate[Part] (.Part original, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation)
	DragCubeSystem.RenderProceduralDragCube (.Part p)
	DragCubeList.SetDragWeights_Procedural ()
	DragCubeList.SetDragWeights ()
	StageRecovery.StageRecovery.GetChuteArea (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts)
	StageRecovery.EditorGUI.BreakShipIntoStages ()
	StageRecovery.EditorGUI.Recalculate ()
	StageRecovery.StageRecovery.ShipModifiedEvent (.ShipConstruct sc)
	EventData`1[ShipConstruct].Fire (.ShipConstruct data)
	AT_Utils.Utils.UpdateEditorGUI ()
	AT_Utils.ModuleSwitchableTank.OnDestroy ()
	UnityEngine.Object.DestroyImmediate (UnityEngine.Object obj)
	DragCubeSystem.SetupPartForRender (.Part part, UnityEngine.GameObject partObject)
	DragCubeSystem.RenderProceduralDragCube (.Part p)
	DragCubeList.SetDragWeights_Procedural ()
	DragCubeList.SetDragWeights ()
	StageRecovery.StageRecovery.GetChuteArea (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts)
	StageRecovery.EditorGUI.BreakShipIntoStages ()
	StageRecovery.EditorGUI.Recalculate ()
	StageRecovery.StageRecovery.ShipModifiedEvent (.ShipConstruct sc)
	EventData`1[ShipConstruct].Fire (.ShipConstruct data)
	AT_Utils.Utils.UpdateEditorGUI ()
	AT_Utils.ModuleSwitchableTank.OnDestroy ()

I've also noticed that *during* the freezes I get continuous logspam including the following:

[LOG 09:06:47.137] DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for aquila.cargo.bay.s1p5.2

Is it possible that the part (a mod-added cargo bay) is breaking the drag calculations, causing StageRecovery to freak out and freeze the game?

The freezes seem to occur either when loading a vessel or attaching a part to it.

Edited by baldamundo

3 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Trying to debug some repeated freezes occuring in the VAB, which is very tricky given the number of mods I have installed, but I seem to be getting a series of StageRecovery related errors occuring in the log at the time of the freeze. Can anyone tell me what they mean and if they might be causing my problem? Can upload full logs if anyone wants to have a look.

First, please don’t upload large files to the forum, it causes problems with mobile devices.

secondly, why not provide the logs and save some time immediately.  You will be asked for them, try saving some people some time.

Hello @linuxgurugamer

I was able to come up with a (crude) fix for handling the engine plates from the Making History DLC. I'm not entirely happy with the solution because it relies way to much on hard coded assumptions about Engine Plates, but I'm not yet familiar enough with the KSP API regarding parts to rewrite the code for determining stages in a cleaner and more robust way.

Anyway, I've created a PR on github so you can see how I did it: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/StageRecovery/pull/2

Best regards and thank you again for maintaining so many great mods! :cool:

6 minutes ago, Aerospike said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer

I was able to come up with a (crude) fix for handling the engine plates from the Making History DLC. I'm not entirely happy with the solution because it relies way to much on hard coded assumptions about Engine Plates, but I'm not yet familiar enough with the KSP API regarding parts to rewrite the code for determining stages in a cleaner and more robust way.

Anyway, I've created a PR on github so you can see how I did it: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/StageRecovery/pull/2

Can you explain what the fix is for?  What's not working with engine plates?

It helps to read back a bit :-)

Ok.  It's actually not that crude.  Engine plates made by Squad are different than engine plates made by other mods, so that kind of explains why there is an issue.

And the reason it's a problem is because the Squad engine plates also have a ModuleDecouple, which is why you are seeing the results

I need to review your code, but overall, it's clean and does the job.

Good work!

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, Aerospike said:

Hello @linuxgurugamer

Just an FYI, I made a slight change to your code:

if (checking.Modules.Contains("ModuleDynamicNodes") && checking.Modules.Contains("ModuleDecouple"))

The problem is caused by the same part having a ModuleDecouple, if the ModuleDecouple isn't there, then there won't be a problem

There may be other ways to do this, but this does the job, and it's not a time-critical piece of code

LGG, one thing I have noticed is that S/R regularly gets confused on very large boosters/SRBs using Tweakscaled parachutes (the stock parachutes will scale). I will put parachutes on a part until I get a <6m/s recovery speed, but if I just leave the VAB and come back, now S/R will give a completely different answer on recovery speed, which is always higher than what I saw the first time. I've lost some big boosters and SRBs because the actual flight says I have a much higher landing speed than that quoted by S/R.

To reproduce, take the BDB Sarnus SRB and scale it up to 10m. Use the stock radial parachute, scale it up to 400% and add enough until S/R says it's good. Leave and reenter and the recovery speed values will have changed. 

It's probably just a matter of it getting confused over the Tweakscaled parachutes, so the size of the booster doesn't matter, but you need something with enough mass that it doesn't go to 0.0 recovery speed on the first parachute.

12 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

LGG, one thing I have noticed is that S/R regularly 

To reproduce, take the BDB Sarnus SRB and scale it up to 10m. Use the stock radial parachute, scale it up to 400% and add enough until S/R says it's good. Leave and reenter and the recovery speed values will have changed. 

Always nice when a specific example is provided

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.