[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

A query regarding compatibility with RSS, without RO. Admittedly, I haven't tried with the new version of SR (1.9.0.3) since I just got it via CKAN, but I've been having a distinct issue where modules just burn up in atmosphere, even ones separated at relatively low altitudes/speeds (<30km/<1000m/s). My average apogee with the first batch of releases is 60km to 70km, and there are MORE than enough parachutes to land the boosters (SR calculates an empty landing of 5 to 7m/s in the VAB), but I've managed to get around a 5 percent, at best, landing rate. Heck, I've gone 6 launches in a row with the same craft on the same(ish) launch profile, and gotten ONE booster landed, and I have four boosters per stage, two asparagus stages. Everything else burns up in the atmosphere.

I know I'm dealing with higher speeds due to RSS, but is there any set of settings I can use that will give me a modicum of increased successful landings? Stage Recovery doesn't help much if everything just burns up in the atmosphere instead of landing somewhere, and I really like the mod on Kerbin but want to be able to combine the challenge of RSS with the challenge of designing for 100 percent "capture" from SR.

9 hours ago, Onigato said:

A query regarding compatibility with RSS, without RO. Admittedly, I haven't tried with the new version of SR (1.9.0.3) since I just got it via CKAN, but I've been having a distinct issue where modules just burn up in atmosphere, even ones separated at relatively low altitudes/speeds (<30km/<1000m/s). My average apogee with the first batch of releases is 60km to 70km, and there are MORE than enough parachutes to land the boosters (SR calculates an empty landing of 5 to 7m/s in the VAB), but I've managed to get around a 5 percent, at best, landing rate. Heck, I've gone 6 launches in a row with the same craft on the same(ish) launch profile, and gotten ONE booster landed, and I have four boosters per stage, two asparagus stages. Everything else burns up in the atmosphere.

I know I'm dealing with higher speeds due to RSS, but is there any set of settings I can use that will give me a modicum of increased successful landings? Stage Recovery doesn't help much if everything just burns up in the atmosphere instead of landing somewhere, and I really like the mod on Kerbin but want to be able to combine the challenge of RSS with the challenge of designing for 100 percent "capture" from SR.

Before StageRecovery v1.9.0.1 there used to be a setting in StageRecovery/PluginData/Config.txt for this:

DeadlyReentryMaxVelocity = 4000

Since v1.9.0.1 this was moved to per-save settings (press escape in game, Settings, click the Difficulty Options button at the top, Stage Recovery) and look for the 'DRE Velocity' slider.

In my game I have stock planets sized up to match the real solar system. 4000 to 5000 seems to work well for me.

Edited by MalevolentNinja

Heya. Installed (and reinstalled twice) the actual version of SR, but, there seems to be a problem. My parts get recovered fine, but all at 1%range (beside dropping 30km near ksc). Hoped the short fixes would get rid of that, but it seems not. Any intel on that?

1 hour ago, firegun said:

@DanGer, you need to check your configs, you probably has the "Use distance override" option enabled. Seems that this option was changed with latest updates, it was the issue here and with @capi3101as can be seen on previous posts.

Disabling that one should make the mod behave as previously.

That change was reverted, but if the mod was installed after I updated, but before the last revert, then that option will be set to that option being enabled.

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That change was reverted, but if the mod was installed after I updated, but before the last revert, then that option will be set to that option being enabled.

But, shouldn't the config also get deleted, if i deinstall the mod and reinstall fresh and so be ok? I'll give it another try and kill the folders etc. by hand first. Quite broke on my latests game now ;)

Thanks for all your modding!

1 hour ago, DanGer said:

But, shouldn't the config also get deleted, if i deinstall the mod and reinstall fresh and so be ok? I'll give it another try and kill the folders etc. by hand first. Quite broke on my latests game now ;)

Thanks for all your modding!

Yes, be sure to get the latest one.

By curiosity, what is the best parameter to target to land as close as possible of the KSC when doing the reentry burn? I ask that because my stages when doing reentry with StageRecovery usually arrive at 100km of KSC.
I'm using the mod Trajectories, which indicates by a cross the expected landing site (considering drag forces). Should I consider the cross or focus on the end of the trajectory curve?

16 hours ago, ndiver said:

By curiosity, what is the best parameter to target to land as close as possible of the KSC when doing the reentry burn? I ask that because my stages when doing reentry with StageRecovery usually arrive at 100km of KSC.
I'm using the mod Trajectories, which indicates by a cross the expected landing site (considering drag forces). Should I consider the cross or focus on the end of the trajectory curve?

Dont use trajectory on an unloded craft.

Only loded crafts have air drag.

Assuming SR uses lat lng ignoring altitude to calc distense just set PE over KSC at about 24k

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the stage will enter the atmosphere (Sub-Orbital), and has parachutes or enough fuel for a powered landing. Yes it will calculate its landing speed, remove the stage from the game and give you a message that the stage has touched down. (either safely or to fast and was destroyed)

It will do nothing, if the stage will not enter the atmosphere. (It will stay in orbit)

It will Not do a landing you can watch. (once the stage gets out of your Physics range is when it does its calculations and determines stage status)

Edited by BlackHat

Doesn´t work for me anymore

Since a few days it started getting buggy (Missions won´t be recognized as complete even after fulfilling all requirements).
So I decided to uninstall it and reinstall Stage Recovery but after reinstalling (KSP even asks me if i want to update the Mod) no matter what I do the mod isn´t there in the game.

It might help if you mentioned which version of the game and mod your using. Do you also have its two dependencies installed?

Also I might be wrong, but I wouldn't think SR would have any impact on Missions and whether they complete or not.

New release, 1.9.0.4

• Fixed recalculation, needed for 1.6 where root part wasn't part[0] anymore, added search for part with no parent
  • Added new event to recalculate automatically when ship is modified.  Does not recalculate when ship is deleted
  • Updated windows with support for ClickThroughBlocker

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer Unfortunately, I still cannot choose stage recovery as recovery owner :/ Since I've seen you debugging and testing mods, I'm pretty certain you wouldn't release an update without testing it and I got curious though....

I actually noticed something odd:

Compiling stage recovery in debug mode -> works like a charm
Compiling stage recovery in release mode -> doesn't work (well, the mod on it's own does work but I cannot choose SR as recovery owner)

This is kinda strange because I cannot find any debug preprocessor directives. (I'm not aware of any other differences between debug/release versions but I wouldn't be surprised if there are any)

By the way: The latest release contains an additional 'StageRecoveryDLL.zip' file in the Plugin folder, I guess that's the one you've uploaded to dropbox earlier and you forgot to remove it?

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Compiling stage recovery in release mode -> doesn't work (well, the mod on it's own does work but I cannot choose SR as recovery owner)

Compiling in debug mode creates slightly different code

Yes, I forgot to delete it.

And I'll have to figure out why this isn't working in release mode.  Yuck

31 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@linuxgurugamer Unfortunately, I still cannot choose stage recovery as recovery owner :/ Since I've seen you debugging and testing mods, I'm pretty certain you wouldn't release an update without testing it and I got curious though....

I actually noticed something odd:

This is kinda strange because I cannot find any debug preprocessor directives. (I'm not aware of any other differences between debug/release versions but I wouldn't be surprised if there are any)

By the way: The latest release contains an additional 'StageRecoveryDD.zip' file in the Plugin folder, I guess that's the one you've uploaded to dropbox earlier and you forgot to remove it?

I need to know if you updated the RecoveryController as well.  Don't update it, just get me the version you have, or at least the log file

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.