[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Here is a debug DLL.  It has the fix for the guiclips, and some extra debugging code.  Could you run it, and then send me the log files?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ay8vvshe4zmqwj5/DebugSR.zip?dl=0

I must have been very tired last night :-)

6 hours ago, Brigadier said:

@linuxgurugamer, missing a link, perhaps?

Yup

My apologies everyone!

Been away for a bit, work and family, you know how it is.   

@ LGG I am so sorry about testing a non stock craft.  It has been so long playing with the mods I have I had totally forgotten what stock parts even look like any more.

But as an IT guy I should know better, so my bad.   I see some others have chipped in, thank you.  Let me know if you still need a stock sample.   And thank you again for all the work on so many of the mods......   a famous Winston Chruchill quote can be used here...   

"Never in the field of version conflict, has so much been coded for so many, by so few."   

OK so not his exact quote, but it still applies.

Edited by DaveLChgo

Hi!

First of all I want to say thank you for your work on this mod! I really appreciate it!

I first installed your mod to be able to more easily complete tourist contracts in Career Mode by dropping them out of orbit in their own Mk1 Command Pod with parachutes staged for deployment at a specific Min. Pressure and Altitude. I am using StageRecovery in the VAB to confirm that my stages will/should recover successfully. Unfortunately, I just ran into an issue where Stage Recovery reported successful recovery of all of the tourists' pods, but the contract was still assessed as a failure.

In this case I had 7 command pods, with 6 tourists and one pilot. 4 were recovered by StageRecovery, and the remaining 3 command pods landed safely within physics distance of one another (in this case approx. 500m). I staged all parachutes in combination with the decouplers, and all parachutes were assigned the same autodeploy parameters: .5 atm and 5000m altitude. All 6 non-pilot pods were estimated by SR as 'yellow' risk of non-recovery. The pilot pod was estimated as 'green' by SR.

Although 6 tourists' were recovered, 4 by SR, 2 manually via the Tracking Station, the contract was assessed as a failure (2 itineraries were not completed).

I am going to attempt the mission again, this time ensuring that I recover the two other landed pods before recovering the landed pilot pod. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but during my first attempt I recovered the pilot pod prior to going to the Tracking Station and recovering the two other landed pods.

EDIT: I attempted the mission again, same result. In fact I'm pretty sure one of the SR-recovered tourists caused an immediate failure of the contract during the mission this time. It's hard for me to tell which tourist is in which pod, so I'm not entirely sure who was SR-recovered.

I'm happy to give more information as needed, I just wasn't sure exactly what to report with my initial post. I am using all stock parts, with common visual mods (Scatterer, SVE+SVT, Planetshine, etc.), Outer Planets, and [x] Science!.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edited by octeris
add more debugging information

5 hours ago, octeris said:

Hi!

First of all I want to say thank you for your work on this mod! I really appreciate it!

I first installed your mod to be able to more easily complete tourist contracts in Career Mode by dropping them out of orbit in their own Mk1 Command Pod with parachutes staged for deployment at a specific Min. Pressure and Altitude. I am using StageRecovery in the VAB to confirm that my stages will/should recover successfully. Unfortunately, I just ran into an issue where Stage Recovery reported successful recovery of all of the tourists' pods, but the contract was still assessed as a failure.

In this case I had 7 command pods, with 6 tourists and one pilot. 4 were recovered by StageRecovery, and the remaining 3 command pods landed safely within physics distance of one another (in this case approx. 500m). I staged all parachutes in combination with the decouplers, and all parachutes were assigned the same autodeploy parameters: .5 atm and 5000m altitude. All 6 non-pilot pods were estimated by SR as 'yellow' risk of non-recovery. The pilot pod was estimated as 'green' by SR.

Although 6 tourists' were recovered, 4 by SR, 2 manually via the Tracking Station, the contract was assessed as a failure (2 itineraries were not completed).

I am going to attempt the mission again, this time ensuring that I recover the two other landed pods before recovering the landed pilot pod. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but during my first attempt I recovered the pilot pod prior to going to the Tracking Station and recovering the two other landed pods.

EDIT: I attempted the mission again, same result. In fact I'm pretty sure one of the SR-recovered tourists caused an immediate failure of the contract during the mission this time. It's hard for me to tell which tourist is in which pod, so I'm not entirely sure who was SR-recovered.

I'm happy to give more information as needed, I just wasn't sure exactly what to report with my initial post. I am using all stock parts, with common visual mods (Scatterer, SVE+SVT, Planetshine, etc.), Outer Planets, and [x] Science!.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Start off with a log file, the save file and the craft in question

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Start off with a log file, the save file and the craft in question

Hi, thanks for replying. I can definitely provide those things once I am home this evening.

I apologize for what might be an obvious question, this is my first time reporting a bug, but would you prefer the log file and save file include the contract failure?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, octeris said:

Hi, thanks for replying. I can definitely provide those things once I am home this evening.

I apologize for what might be an obvious question, this is my first time reporting a bug, but would you prefer the log file and save file include the contract failure?

Thanks.

As an FYI, When reporting bugs and issues, more information is better.  It's easier to discard extra information than it is to gather missing information.

In this case, what I'd like if possible is the save file with the contract active, but not yet completed or failed.  A complete mission description would also help me to recreate the issue.

KSP Version: 1.7 (04/10/2019)

Mods installed:
[x] Science! - 5.17
000_ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.7.1
001_ToolbarControl - 0.1.6.20
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.19.0
DistantObject - 1.9.1.1
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements - 1.4.2.2
KerbalAlarmClock - 3.10.0.0
Kopernicus - 1.7.0-1
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.6.0
ModuleManager - 4.0.2
OPM/CTTP - 2.2.2
PlanetShine - 0.2.6.1
Scatterer - 0.0540
StageRecovery - 1.9.1
StockVisualEnhancements - 1.4.1

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ajgf3qq6zkhigak/AABFbGRUYnIhAf52KVm4AfcBa?dl=0 contains the craft, the Career Mode save with contract active, and output_log.txt.

The mission profile is relatively straightforward. Load up all 6 tourists + 1 pilot into the command pods and head to the launchpad. SAS on, throttle to max, and launch. I wait for 100-150m/s before pitching over about 10° East (hdg. 90°). Climb to around 10km altitude before pitching over slightly more (~20-30°). We're using 4x Terriers and 1x Reliant in the second stage, so we need all the altitude we can get from the first stage so that the Terriers in the second stage are as effective as possible.

Once the first stage runs out of fuel there are 3 separate staging events (2x side, 1x center) to drop the 4 fuel tanks out from underneath the upper stage safely. Be sure you're dropping the correct side tanks first, based on the craft's roll, or you risk the fuel tanks colliding with the unseparated tanks.

Engage the second stage and burn prograde. Depending on the ascent profile of the first stage you may or may not need to pause throttle to wait for the craft to get closer to apogee for the orbital burn. Generally speaking I've been burning prograde again immediately without waiting, as the Terriers' low TWR means they have to burn for a long time to get us enough dV to circularize. If we don't burn soon enough we risk either an extremely elliptical orbit or not reaching orbit at all. In any case, circularize/burn to a stable ~70-90km orbit.

I then wait for or time-warp to the new apoapsis (previously our periapsis) before burning retrograde until our periapsis is around ~50km or slightly lower. I remain pointed retrograde (pilot SAS) for the remainder of the mission.

Once we are just about in the atmosphere at ~50km I separate the 4 parallel pods from the top of their fuel stacks. Stage again to drop the remaining fuel/engines and you're left with a 3-stack of command pods, containing the two remaining tourists and the pilot. Fall to around ~30km or so, or until you're worried about too much atmospheric drag, and stage again to separate the remaining 3 pods. By the time you're at this point SR has usually recovered the 4 other pods. You can timewarp the remainder of the missions and everything should land safely.

Please let me know how I can help assist further. I was thinking it might be worthwhile for me to attempt to reproduce the issue on a clean install of KSP with just Stage Recovery installed, in case the mods I have installed are potentially causing the issue. I noticed that was recommended in the "Get Support" thread stickied in this forum.

Edited by octeris
mission edits

I archived my GameData folder including the mods, uninstalled the game, and did a fresh install with no mods, then added Stage Recovery. I loaded up the save game and attempted the contract and it worked perfectly, SR recovered 4 ships and all were counted as successes in the contract. The mission was successful.

So I unpacked my archived mods over top of the newly installed game, excluding the old copies of Stage Recovery and its dependencies. Loaded up the save game again and attempted the contract... and it worked perfectly. Again SR recovered 4 ships and all were counted as success in the contract.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of that, but happy to report it seems to be working again now. The only possible explanation I could come up with is that I had installed Stage Recovery or one of its dependencies targeted at an older KSP version. I don't think I would have made that mistake, but if I did I apologize.

I'll be doing more tourist contracts in the same way in the future so I'll report back if I encounter the issue again. Very sorry for any noise.

Thanks for your help linuxgurugamer. I really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, octeris said:

KSP Version: 1.7 (04/10/2019)

Mods installed:
[x] Science! - 5.17
000_ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.7.1
001_ToolbarControl - 0.1.6.20
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.19.0
DistantObject - 1.9.1.1
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements - 1.4.2.2
KerbalAlarmClock - 3.10.0.0
Kopernicus - 1.7.0-1
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.6.0
ModuleManager - 4.0.2
OPM/CTTP - 2.2.2
PlanetShine - 0.2.6.1
Scatterer - 0.0540
StageRecovery - 1.9.1
StockVisualEnhancements - 1.4.1

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ajgf3qq6zkhigak/AABFbGRUYnIhAf52KVm4AfcBa?dl=0 contains the craft, the Career Mode save with contract active, and output_log.txt.

The mission profile is relatively straightforward. Load up all 6 tourists + 1 pilot into the command pods and head to the launchpad. SAS on, throttle to max, and launch. I wait for 100-150m/s before pitching over about 10° East (hdg. 90°). Climb to around 10km altitude before pitching over slightly more (~20-30°). We're using 4x Terriers and 1x Reliant in the second stage, so we need all the altitude we can get from the first stage so that the Terriers in the second stage are as effective as possible.

Once the first stage runs out of fuel there are 3 separate staging events (2x side, 1x center) to drop the 4 fuel tanks out from underneath the upper stage safely. Be sure you're dropping the correct side tanks first, based on the craft's roll, or you risk the fuel tanks colliding with the unseparated tanks.

Engage the second stage and burn prograde. Depending on the ascent profile of the first stage you may or may not need to pause throttle to wait for the craft to get closer to apogee for the orbital burn. Generally speaking I've been burning prograde again immediately without waiting, as the Terriers' low TWR means they have to burn for a long time to get us enough dV to circularize. If we don't burn soon enough we risk either an extremely elliptical orbit or not reaching orbit at all. In any case, circularize/burn to a stable ~70-90km orbit.

I then wait for or time-warp to the new apoapsis (previously our periapsis) before burning retrograde until our periapsis is around ~50km or slightly lower. I remain pointed retrograde (pilot SAS) for the remainder of the mission.

Once we are just about in the atmosphere at ~50km I separate the 4 parallel pods from the top of their fuel stacks. Stage again to drop the remaining fuel/engines and you're left with a 3-stack of command pods, containing the two remaining tourists and the pilot. Fall to around ~30km or so, or until you're worried about too much atmospheric drag, and stage again to separate the remaining 3 pods. By the time you're at this point SR has usually recovered the 4 other pods. You can timewarp the remainder of the missions and everything should land safely.

Please let me know how I can help assist further. I was thinking it might be worthwhile for me to attempt to reproduce the issue on a clean install of KSP with just Stage Recovery installed, in case the mods I have installed are potentially causing the issue. I noticed that was recommended in the "Get Support" thread stickied in this forum.

Later messages seem to indicate you solved your problem (there's a reason it's recommended to uninstall old versions of mods before installing the latest!) I do have a comment about your mission profile.

This sounds like you're just hauling tourists to orbit.  It also sounds like you have decouplers.  Assuming you have radial parachutes may I suggest an alternative design that would provoke outrage at NASA but it will fly:  Put your pilot in a capsule, put your tourists in the crew module (meant for aircraft but it works in space), take a heat shield and invert it and stick it on the nose of your rocket.  Then attach a decoupler and a nose cone.

Simply putting a capsule on top of crew modules is very prone to lawn-darting a heat shield on the front will create enough drag that it will slow anyway so long as it's not too long.

If that's not enough you can provoke even more howls from NASA by radially mounting more crew capsules--each needs the shield/decoupler/nosecone setup but you can fly it with only one command pod (although if it gets big enough adding a reaction wheel is a good idea.)

I have flown suborbital tourist contracts with a slab of 5 stacks of IIRC 3 capsules as one rocket.  (Note:  I modified the number of available contracts, with the stock game you can't have enough tourist contracts active to fill such a bird.)

10 hours ago, octeris said:

Glad to hear it's resolved.

I took a look at the log file anyway, and noticed that you are running KSP with mods installed in the Steam directory.  This generally isn't a good idea, since Steam will sometimes update a game without letting you know.  Even when you do know, Steam sometimes leaves stuff around.  It's highly recommended that if you use mods, to leave the Steam install in a pristine state and copy the game directory elsewhere, then add the mods to the copy and play it from there.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dark_Xenio said:

Hi there guys, I have one question, will this mod be updated to be compatibile with latest KSP version?

The best way to find out is to try the current version first, a lot of mods don't need updating (this time).  If not, all you can do is wait and see.   But given this is a LGG maintained mod, I would assume 1) It works already, and 2) If it doesn't, it will very shortly. 

Hello,

I have been using stage recovery for a week but i discovered that i cannot access the stock settings. When i try to open SR settings from the toolbar (stock or blizzy doesnt matter) it says the settings are in the stock settings GUI but i cannot find it anywhere in stock settings. Can someone help me? I had 55 mods and tried to disable them all to only enable stage recovery to no avail. 

[SOLVED] The setting was in Game Difficulty options.

Edited by zakna2g
addition

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have recently starting playing again and as per usual I have installed stage recovery, this time by linuxgurugamer, who is awesome and cares a lot for the orphans. I am running into a little snag however, previously if I deorbited a stage from orbit (after having switched away) it would recover. With this version the stage will not recover, there is not even a message reported. Is this a change in the mod or is there something else going on? This is on a manual install where I have not updated anything as of yet.

If this is not expected, I will start testing with a clean install with just stage recovery installed.

Chrisitian

Edit: Stages dropped during ascent are recovered as per usual

Edited by invultri

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 8:56 AM, invultri said:

Hi all,

I have recently starting playing again and as per usual I have installed stage recovery, this time by linuxgurugamer, who is awesome and cares a lot for the orphans. I am running into a little snag however, previously if I deorbited a stage from orbit (after having switched away) it would recover. With this version the stage will not recover, there is not even a message reported. Is this a change in the mod or is there something else going on? This is on a manual install where I have not updated anything as of yet.

If this is not expected, I will start testing with a clean install with just stage recovery installed.

Chrisitian

Edit: Stages dropped during ascent are recovered as per usual

Oddly enough, it seems to work when the stage would go below the 20km line and I am focussed on a craft in the Mun SOI. If I am in the tracking station, main ksp view or focussed on a craft in Kerbin SOI the stage is not recovered.

3 hours ago, invultri said:

Oddly enough, it seems to work when the stage would go below the 20km line and I am focussed on a craft in the Mun SOI. If I am in the tracking station, main ksp view or focussed on a craft in Kerbin SOI the stage is not recovered.

Stages are only recovered when they go below the IIRC 22km line.  A stage that doesn't go that low will simply remain in "space" (even if it is actually orbiting entirely in the atmosphere!) and not be recovered.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:17 PM, Loren Pechtel said:

Stages are only recovered when they go below the IIRC 22km line.  A stage that doesn't go that low will simply remain in "space" (even if it is actually orbiting entirely in the atmosphere!) and not be recovered.

Actual PE was -100, so it is not the problem of stages not getting low enough. There is also plenty of fuel left for a powered landing. It really seems to be the "Active" SOI that I am in, if I am at a craft at the Mun the recovery goes fine, which I will use as a workaround for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone using this ( v 1.9.1 ) successfully with the Breaking Ground / 1.7.2 release?

I had it working fine with my 1.7.0 release version, but I'm not even seeing the toolbar show up with 1.7.2.  

I have the pre-req modules installed ( same mod list as 1.7.0 minus OPM and Kopernicus which aren't supported yet in 1.7.2 ).  Don't see toolbar in VAB or in-flight.  Got the Mini AVC prompt when started up to allow it to check for updates, so it saw the module at least that much.

First time trying to debug a mod, so happy to look in log files, but not sure which ones / where to check.

-----

EDIT:

I was able to resolve the problem.  I was missing the unBlur DLL file, which is a new dependency for the Toolbar controller mod.  Or at least new compared to the versions I was using with 1.7.0, as I didn't have unBlur with that install somehow and it was working.

Edited by coredumpster
Solved it

And just a final follow-up.  Once I fixed the missing unBlur helper bit, this works just fine for me now with 1.7.2 and Breaking Ground installed.

Not that I'd expected otherwise, but wanted to confirm that it's working with the latest version of KSP + DLC.

2 hours ago, coredumpster said:

Anyone using this ( v 1.9.1 ) successfully with the Breaking Ground / 1.7.2 release?

I had it working fine with my 1.7.0 release version, but I'm not even seeing the toolbar show up with 1.7.2.  

I have the pre-req modules installed ( same mod list as 1.7.0 minus OPM and Kopernicus which aren't supported yet in 1.7.2 ).  Don't see toolbar in VAB or in-flight.  Got the Mini AVC prompt when started up to allow it to check for updates, so it saw the module at least that much.

First time trying to debug a mod, so happy to look in log files, but not sure which ones / where to check.

-----

EDIT:

I was able to resolve the problem.  I was missing the unBlur DLL file, which is a new dependency for the Toolbar controller mod.  Or at least new compared to the versions I was using with 1.7.0, as I didn't have unBlur with that install somehow and it was working.

16 minutes ago, coredumpster said:

And just a final follow-up.  Once I fixed the missing unBlur helper bit, this works just fine for me now with 1.7.2 and Breaking Ground installed.

Not that I'd expected otherwise, but wanted to confirm that it's working with the latest version of KSP + DLC.

UnBlur is a new dependency.  Glad to hear it's  all working

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.