[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New releaes, 1.9.1.2

• Thanks to forum user @aerospike for this:
    • Fix issue with stock engine plates being in wrong stage

Immediately after updating to 1.9.1.2, I'm getting a game hang trying to load a rocket I was working on... that used a stock engine plate.  Uninstalling or reverting to 1.9.1.1 both fix it.  Gonna fiddle around with it some more, will report back.

Update 1:  Removing plate didn't fix it.  Only other craft I had which used a (different) plate no problems.  Going through stage-by-stage to try to isolate the problem.
Update 2: Problem traced to merged-in lander containing artifact EP-18 (Forgot to remove it after opting to only use one engine).  Original lander file loaded no problem.  After Re-merging a new, plateless lander, loads perfectly.  Other craft with EP-18 had zero problems loading, so I'm confused as heck.

Edited by Tiron
Update:

1 hour ago, Tiron said:

Immediately after updating to 1.9.1.2, I'm getting a game hang trying to load a rocket I was working on... that used a stock engine plate.  Uninstalling or reverting to 1.9.1.1 both fix it.  Gonna fiddle around with it some more, will report back.

Update 1:  Removing plate didn't fix it.  Only other craft I had which used a (different) plate no problems.  Going through stage-by-stage to try to isolate the problem.
Update 2: Problem traced to merged-in lander containing artifact EP-18 (Forgot to remove it after opting to only use one engine).  Original lander file loaded no problem.  After Re-merging a new, plateless lander, loads perfectly.  Other craft with EP-18 had zero problems loading, so I'm confused as heck.

that lander, was it in the game or a seperate craft file?

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

that lander, was it in the game or a seperate craft file?

Separate Craft File.  Which didn't have any problems loading.  I'd combined it with the rocket via the 'merge' function on the loading tool, and the combined craft had loading problems.  Fixed now.

2 hours ago, Tiron said:

Separate Craft File.  Which didn't have any problems loading.  I'd combined it with the rocket via the 'merge' function on the loading tool, and the combined craft had loading problems.  Fixed now.

If you still have it, and have the rocket, could you send them to me?

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you still have it, and have the rocket, could you send them to me?

Unfortunately, I don't have the broken version anymore... but I may have figured out another aspect of the problem just now.  The root part for the lander was the engine attached to the plate, because it had to be to attach it to the rocket properly.  I just re-added the plate to the lander for bottom cover purposes, and when trying to re-root it to the engine on the plate it's freezing up.  Doing further experimentation now.

Update:  Yep, that's it.  It's throwing a hang reliably with the EP-18 and EP-25 (haven't gotten to the others, as it's a slow process to test) if the plate's parent is attached to any but the 'top' node.  Even just attaching it that way *without* a re-root causes an instant hang.  Loading a craft set up that way, hang.  Re-root it that way, hang.

Edited by Tiron
Update

On 8/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, Tiron said:

Unfortunately, I don't have the broken version anymore... but I may have figured out another aspect of the problem just now.  The root part for the lander was the engine attached to the plate, because it had to be to attach it to the rocket properly.  I just re-added the plate to the lander for bottom cover purposes, and when trying to re-root it to the engine on the plate it's freezing up.  Doing further experimentation now.

Update:  Yep, that's it.  It's throwing a hang reliably with the EP-18 and EP-25 (haven't gotten to the others, as it's a slow process to test) if the plate's parent is attached to any but the 'top' node.  Even just attaching it that way *without* a re-root causes an instant hang.  Loading a craft set up that way, hang.  Re-root it that way, hang.

Ah, so it’s a KSP bug.

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ah, so it’s a KSP bug.

Not sure but I don't think so?  It only does it with Stagerecovery 1.9.1.2 installed.  with 1.9.1.1 it doesn't seem to care *where* the parent part is.

2 hours ago, Tiron said:

Not sure but I don't think so?  It only does it with Stagerecovery 1.9.1.2 installed.  with 1.9.1.1 it doesn't seem to care *where* the parent part is.

Oh!  I didn't realize that.

So it's related to a fix for the stock engine plates being in the wrong stage.  I'll have to look at it later

On 8/25/2019 at 1:30 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh!  I didn't realize that.

So it's related to a fix for the stock engine plates being in the wrong stage.  I'll have to look at it later

The way it acts I'm about half tempted to think it's getting stuck in a loop trying to parse the staging, but obviously I can't be sure.  The game hangs, there's a bit of an increase in memory usage.  Not exactly 'explosive leak' level, but enough to indicate it's *trying* to do something and apparently spinning its wheels.

25 minutes ago, Tiron said:

The way it acts I'm about half tempted to think it's getting stuck in a loop trying to parse the staging, but obviously I can't be sure.  The game hangs, there's a bit of an increase in memory usage.  Not exactly 'explosive leak' level, but enough to indicate it's *trying* to do something and apparently spinning its wheels.

I've found the problem, am working on a fix now

With new SR a lot of exceptions appear in the log just after loading a vessel into VAB - a lot more than I was used to.

It seems that all these exceptions are because of ModuleDecouplerBase.

The log and stuff:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmn8ku45sa5g3o3/output_log.txt and stuff 2019-08-27-01.zip?dl=1

Edited by Gordon Dry

10 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

With new SR a lot of exceptions appear in the log just after loading a vessel into VAB - a lot more than I was used to.

The log and stuff:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmn8ku45sa5g3o3/output_log.txt and stuff 2019-08-27-01.zip?dl=1

Any vessel?  or a specific one?  If specific, please get me a craft file

10 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The log and stuff:

It's because you don't have Making History installed.

I'll see if I can get an update out this evening for it

Sorry.  It's because you are running 1.6.1.  ModuleDecouplerBase is from 1.7

That being said, I'll see if I can have a fix out this evening

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, 1.9.1.4

• Reorganized code to avoid segfaults on pre-1.7 games due to the new ModuleDecouplerBase being added in 1.7

Note that the only reason I released this was because I hadn't updated the version file to reflect 1.7.0 and newer.  Future versions will be locked to 1.7.0 and newer due to this code change

I'm on KSP 1.7.3 with SR 1.9.1.3 and RecoveryController 0.0.3.8 and I have a couple of questions.

1: I don't know if this is actually a feature that Stage Recovery is supposed to have or if I'm remembering wrong. I thought that in the past I had been able to drop an upper stage or payload from orbit back onto a suborbital trajectory and have the mod recover it for me while I do other things (assuming it met the parachute, heat shield, and/or propulsive landing criteria of course), but recent attempts haven't even resulted in a "stage destroyed" message, as if the mod just isn't handling the event. It works fine for stages jettisoned as I launch a new vehicle, but it seems like once something has achieved orbit it stops paying attention (or at least doesn't generate the expected messages).

2: It was also tricky to figure out just how many parachute modules I needed to attach via docking ports to successfully bring down an older "space bus" craft for recovery (which was replaced by a larger model with better crew capacity and more delta-V). When attaching the parachute-laden probes to the old design in the editor, SR treated each of them as separate stages (even though no staging was enabled on the docking ports), and stubbornly kept telling me that the main craft was 0% recoverable. I had to replace the docking ports with structural connections and/or move the parachutes onto the main craft in order to figure out how many were actually needed.

At first I thought that the parachutes all being on these docked probes might be responsible for SR not recovering the craft after I dropped it out of orbit, but then I realized that it still should have generated a "stage destroyed" message if that was the case, so it's probably just a separate usability issue. It's easy to find out if something like a docked escape pod ("MOOSE" etc) has enough parachutes to land safely by simply detaching it from everything else, after all, and I just keep coming back to that after trying to think up any use case that would require the current treatment of docking ports. I understand that it might not be easy to do anything about, but it would be a "very nice to have" feature/tweak/whatever if there was a way to make it treat unstaged docking ports in the editor as being one stage instead of separate stages and base its diagnostic report on the combined unit.

Thanks for keeping this mod going, and all the others you maintain -- I use quite a few of them! :)

On 8/27/2019 at 11:08 PM, Tallinu said:

I'm on KSP 1.7.3 with SR 1.9.1.3 and RecoveryController 0.0.3.8 and I have a couple of questions.

1: I don't know if this is actually a feature that Stage Recovery is supposed to have or if I'm remembering wrong. I thought that in the past I had been able to drop an upper stage or payload from orbit back onto a suborbital trajectory and have the mod recover it for me while I do other things (assuming it met the parachute, heat shield, and/or propulsive landing criteria of course), but recent attempts haven't even resulted in a "stage destroyed" message, as if the mod just isn't handling the event. It works fine for stages jettisoned as I launch a new vehicle, but it seems like once something has achieved orbit it stops paying attention (or at least doesn't generate the expected messages).

2: It was also tricky to figure out just how many parachute modules I needed to attach via docking ports to successfully bring down an older "space bus" craft for recovery (which was replaced by a larger model with better crew capacity and more delta-V). When attaching the parachute-laden probes to the old design in the editor, SR treated each of them as separate stages (even though no staging was enabled on the docking ports), and stubbornly kept telling me that the main craft was 0% recoverable. I had to replace the docking ports with structural connections and/or move the parachutes onto the main craft in order to figure out how many were actually needed.

At first I thought that the parachutes all being on these docked probes might be responsible for SR not recovering the craft after I dropped it out of orbit, but then I realized that it still should have generated a "stage destroyed" message if that was the case, so it's probably just a separate usability issue. It's easy to find out if something like a docked escape pod ("MOOSE" etc) has enough parachutes to land safely by simply detaching it from everything else, after all, and I just keep coming back to that after trying to think up any use case that would require the current treatment of docking ports. I understand that it might not be easy to do anything about, but it would be a "very nice to have" feature/tweak/whatever if there was a way to make it treat unstaged docking ports in the editor as being one stage instead of separate stages and base its diagnostic report on the combined unit.

Thanks for keeping this mod going, and all the others you maintain -- I use quite a few of them! :)

What mode are you playing in? In my experience at least, the mod only works in Career Mode.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:34 AM, Sandriell said:

What mode are you playing in? In my experience at least, the mod only works in Career Mode.

I am indeed playing Career, although I would expect the recovery of science and/or Kerbals (where applicable) to function in the other modes.

So I have finally been able to try the versions that came up after my little contribution to the whole engine plate issue:
* 1.9.1.4: engines are not considered as a part of the same stage as the engine plate and if I remember correctly, now it seems that "ConsolidateStages" is broken, because every one of the 7 engines on my plate is considered as a separate stage. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot, and now it seems I have trashed the config somehow (see below)
* 1.9.1.3: engines are in 1 stage together, but still in a different stage than the engine plate. Engines attached to the plate get no highlight at all (neither red nor green).
* 1.9.1.2: can't test it because somewhere in the process of starting and shutting down KSP multiple times and switching out SR versions in between I must have corrupted something, because now the UI for SR doesn't show up no matter which version I use. (button on toolbar is visible).

Is there some method that SR uses to remember window positions? So that I can reset it? I can't find any obvious file for this.

Hey im trying to download this mod but I can't connect to spacedock for some reason. Is it down? If so, is there another way to download the mod? I don't know how github works so looking at the source code link didn't help me. The zip I got didn't have anything but a few pngs in the game data folder so I'm confused

Edited by geeawf

51 minutes ago, geeawf said:

Hey im trying to download this mod but I can't connect to spacedock for some reason. Is it down? If so, is there another way to download the mod? I don't know how github works so looking at the source code link didn't help me. The zip I got didn't have anything but a few pngs in the game data folder so I'm confused

Welcome to the forum :)

Yeah, Spacedock seem to have some issues right now.

To download a mod from github, you need to navigate to the release section of the repository: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/StageRecovery/releases

It contains a list of mod versions, the latest one is on top of it (also labels as "latest release"), together with a download link.
I've described this procedure in my tutorial as well ("Download the correct mod version"):

Don't forget to download and install the dependencies (linked in the OP) as well ;) 

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.