linuxgurugamer

[1.8.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

Recommended Posts

On 2/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, Mystique said:

What is hotkey to bring up SR's settings if I chose to hide SC icon? I remember there was something about a hotkey, but can't find it anywhere :(

I don't believe there is a key, you need to use the toolbar button

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't believe there is a key, you need to use the toolbar button

Found it all under difficulty options, no button needed, puzzle solved :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed recently that only my first stage is getting recovered despite all my stages being designed to be recoverable, this seems to have happened since the last SR update, any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave-Daring said:

I have noticed recently that only my first stage is getting recovered despite all my stages being designed to be recoverable, this seems to have happened since the last SR update, any ideas?

No idea, the last update was minor.

How about providing a log file, and the craft file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 8:05 AM, Dave-Daring said:

I have noticed recently that only my first stage is getting recovered despite all my stages being designed to be recoverable, this seems to have happened since the last SR update, any ideas?

I've noticed this as well.    SR reports Nothing destroyed - Nothing recovered, beyond first stage. Admins at mission control will need to put some creative spin on why the launches are way over budget.

LGG - I will try to post a log file and craft file.  After I dock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please open an issue on github if you can. I'll see if I can get to it this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DaveLChgo said:

Oddly enough now its working again for me.  Weird.

Could it have been related to altitude. Or maybe being out of the atmo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DaveLChgo said:

Oddly enough now its working again for me.  Weird.

Are you sure the stage isn't still up there?  KSP's destruction threshold is well below the top of the atmosphere and objects on rails do not experience drag even in atmosphere.  If your periapsis is above I believe 22km the stage will remain in orbit--even if that entire orbit is within the atmosphere!  (Careful--remember that you can't switch away from an object in atmospheric flight.  Switch to such a booster and you have to stay with it until it burns or goes splat.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget what I said earlier.   Definately not working for later stages.
Rocket is one that has been used many times in the past with stages being recovered just fine.
Stages typically have enough parachutes to get stage to less than 7m/s.

Summary:
I launched a rocket, got into orbit.  Solid Boosters were recovered as normal.
I exited game and came back to it today.  Jettisoned a later stage.  (this stage has retros to decay orbit to impact Kerbin)  I select the jettisoned stage as target.  I watch the stage decay to 24K altitude.  It then disappears.  No notice in SR as recovered or destroyed. 

I will try to upload files LGG asked for.  First time doing so, so it may take a bit of time to figure that process out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK LGG,

Not sure I did everything correctly.  But hopefully you can get at the files you need.  I wasnt sure if I could add them to an existing repository plus I couldnt find one that dealt with Stage Recovery.

So I created one.  Please feel free to copy the files you need or take over the repository if that is preferred.

Github Repository - KSP-StageRecovery

Let me know if there is anything else you need to help resolve.

Thanks for the hard work and effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2019 at 5:42 PM, DaveLChgo said:

I launched a rocket, got into orbit.  Solid Boosters were recovered as normal.
I exited game and came back to it today.  Jettisoned a later stage.  (this stage has retros to decay orbit to impact Kerbin)  I select the jettisoned stage as target.  I watch the stage decay to 24K altitude.  It then disappears.  No notice in SR as recovered or destroyed. 

Nor is it expected.  From some comments in the mod:

//Our criteria for even attempting recovery. Broken down:

  • vessel exists
  • hasn't had recovery attempted
  • isn't the active vessel
  • is around Kerbin
  • is either unloaded or packed
  • altitude is within atmosphere
  • is flying or sub orbital
  • is not an EVA (aka, Kerbals by themselves)

 

By watching it, it is the active vessel and is loaded and unpacked, therefore it won't be recovered.

On 3/30/2019 at 6:18 PM, DaveLChgo said:

OK LGG,

Not sure I did everything correctly.  But hopefully you can get at the files you need.  I wasnt sure if I could add them to an existing repository plus I couldnt find one that dealt with Stage Recovery.

So I created one.  Please feel free to copy the files you need or take over the repository if that is preferred.

Github Repository - KSP-StageRecovery

Let me know if there is anything else you need to help resolve.

Thanks for the hard work and effort.

Next time just use Dropbox, Google Drive or any other free filesharing method.  Creating a repo is kind of like killing a fly with an atomic bomb.

So, no offense, but I'm not going to look at these because your test was, unfortunately, invalid

What you need to do is to launch a vessel, have one or more stages be suborbital, verify that they are actually removed and not just on rails in the atmosphere, and then upload the log file and game file.

Also, keep in mind that if a stage is outside the atmosphere and is removed by KSP's debris remover, it won't be recovered by SR either.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey LGG,

Thanks for the reply.

I dont have any accounts at file sharing sites.  My own reasons, wont go into it.   But I think we may be not on the same wavelength.   Because what I described, I had done many times in the past and have had a successful recovery by SR.    When I mean "watch"  It is meant to say that my main ship has focus in the map view, not the jettisoned stage.   The jettisoned stage is the target. (yellow brackets)  So that I can hover the mouse and see its altitude.  

Does the above clarify that it was not the "active vessel"?

Unfortunately I do not know what unloaded or packed means within the game.  So I couldnt tell you one way or the other.    

I totally get the overkill reference for the github, but no biggie it was good practice in seeing what the github process is.

Let me know if the above now makes it a valid test.  Or if you would prefer another one.

Again thanks for all the work you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK  more data is good, so I ran two tests.  Both sub orbital, focusing on the capsule the whole time.   
Very simple rockets.

First test was a 4 stage rocket named "SR Test".
The second was a 6 stage rocket named "SR Test 6Stages".  

I put the craft files and log files in the github repository.

Let me know if you need anything.

And as always your efforts never go unappreciated in this house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @linuxgurugamer, what setting do I need to change if wan't to have 100% fund recovery value wherever I land on Kerbin?

(I kinda mess up the settings in my head)

thanks:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer, what setting do I need to change if wan't to have 100% fund recovery value wherever I land on Kerbin?

(I kinda mess up the settings in my head)

thanks:)

Go into the Settings.  On the settings page, enable the "Enable Flat Rate Model", and then change the Flat Rate: Recovery Modifier (%) to 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am having a similar issue to what DaveLChgo is reporting. I can regularly reproduce the issue, but I haven't yet figured out what the trigger is. The test craft I built can recover the side boosters (stage 1) every time, but the core will only automatically recover when I launch vertically without trying to make orbit. When I do this I can separate in atmosphere or in space, it doesn't seem to matter.

When I follow the normal launch profile (pitch over, get apoapsis >70, separate before periapsis >20; suborbital) is when I experience the issue. As far as I can see, stage 2 satisfies all of the prerequisites you listed above. I separate the craft and I can see it fall back into the atmosphere (as an icon or from the map) until it hits the planet and disappears with no notification of a stage being recovered. If I timewarp ahead for a few hours it still doesn't show up. 

I've used this mod (both this version, and the older ones) for years now, so I've come to know what to expect. If you would like me to upload my files as well, I would be happy to do so, but since you have DaveLChgo's upload I wasn't sure if it would be necessary. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to maintain this mod, it's one of my favorites.

Edit: It seems to be based on distance from KSC. Whenever the 2nd stage lands more than 1/4 of the circumference around the planet it disappears rather than attempting a recovery. Circling the planet and landing the stage near KSC seems to cause it to disappear as well. This does not seem to apply to 1st stage parts; I was able to recover them from the opposite side of Kerbin. 

Edited by Atrius129

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who are having issues, could you try reverting to the previous version, please.  Download it manually from Spacedoc and replace the dll.

I haven't had a lot of time to look at this, but I am doing a bit now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I need test vessels which do not have any mod parts on them, unless those parts are causing the problem.

I just looked at both of @DaveLChgo's craft, and they have numerous mods.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:24 PM, DaveLChgo said:

OK  more data is good, so I ran two tests.  Both sub orbital, focusing on the capsule the whole time.   
Very simple rockets.

First test was a 4 stage rocket named "SR Test".
The second was a 6 stage rocket named "SR Test 6Stages".  

I put the craft files and log files in the github repository.

Let me know if you need anything.

And as always your efforts never go unappreciated in this house.

Please remove the mods from those craft, I can't  use them.  They appear to need multiple mods installed, and I don't have that sort of time.

I'll continue testing on my own, but could really use some stock craft which show the problem.

Using Mechjeb (I do have that installed) to do the launch would be fine, just tell me your settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed your instructions with the .dll replacement from 1.9.0.7 it it seems to have corrected the issue since all 5 of my attempts to recover the 2nd stage has been successful. I'm still testing and will edit this post if anything comes up. 

@DaveLChgo would you be able to upload the craft without mods as LGG requested? To do that, I would have to rebuild the craft and rebreak the mod. If you haven't fixed it yet it would probably be easier for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Atrius129 said:

I followed your instructions with the .dll replacement from 1.9.0.7 it it seems to have corrected the issue since all 5 of my attempts to recover the 2nd stage has been successful. I'm still testing and will edit this post if anything comes up. 

@DaveLChgo would you be able to upload the craft without mods as LGG requested? To do that, I would have to rebuild the craft and rebreak the mod. If you haven't fixed it yet it would probably be easier for you.

If you have a reasonably short list of mods, or a .ckan file, I could use that with your craft

For both of you, please describe the stages:

Liquid or solid?

If liquid, is there any fuel left?

And, if liquid, are you trying to use Powered Recovery?

 

I  have an idea of what's going on, would be helpful to know the answers

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Atrius129 said:

Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZesB3Smna8K00SUT4Vnn2ruHwaAWv1x5/view?usp=sharing

I had to remove the procudural tanks and KER Chip, but this should be all stock and almost identical to my test craft. I did run this a couple of times and I can do the exact same mission profile. 

I used Mechjeb to launch this, and all three were recovered.

What I thought might have been a problem is a problem, but not related to this issue.

I noticed that you are running 1.7.0, did you see the same issue on 1.6.1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a debug DLL.  It has the fix for the guiclips, and some extra debugging code.  Could you run it, and then send me the log files?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Here is a debug DLL.  It has the fix for the guiclips, and some extra debugging code.  Could you run it, and then send me the log files?

Thanks

@linuxgurugamer, missing a link, perhaps?

Edited by Brigadier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.