[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

Is it possible to use this mod without the recovery functionality?  For example, to drop a buoy on Laythe and RTB?

Sorry, didnt actually check what thread search brought me to

Edited by GKSP
I didnt pay attention

I don't know if this is already known but stage recovery messes with the strut and fuel pipe, when i place the first end the game freezes for a bit and when i place the other end the strut/fuel pipe deletes itself. Also if i shift click on a ship to grab the whole craft it automatically snaps the root part to the cursor. It probably has something to do with the overlay but i'm not sure.

Edit: just noticed the thing about the struts have brought up before but still

Edited by abbe026

Been using it in 1.9 since release and haven't had any real issues that seem to be Stage Recovery specific. Are you applying the struts with the highlighting overlay turned on or off? Or running any other mods that might contribute to what you are seeing in some way?

20 minutes ago, abbe026 said:

I have a lot of other mods but im 100% sure it's stage recovery, if i remove it the problems disappear 

The only way to be 100% on this requires to replicate the issue on a clean install which runs just the mod in question (+ dependencies) and in this case, I have to say that it works perfectly fine for me:

Spoiler

s0fgz70.png

So this actually sounds like an issue between multiple mods and like every other mod issue, you should include a log file and maybe even a craft file which will allow other people (most important the mod creator) to replicate the issue. That's pretty much the most important requirement to fix something or at least, to track down an incompatibility.

13 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The only way to be 100% on this requires to replicate the issue on a clean install which runs just the mod in question (+ dependencies) and in this case, I have to say that it works perfectly fine for me:

Try it with a craft that has a much higher part count.  On my install, I could place struts and fuel lines just fine with a craft that had a small part count.  Once I had a craft that had a lot of parts, I was no longer able to.

3 hours ago, MerlinsMaster said:

Try it with a craft that has a much higher part count.  On my install, I could place struts and fuel lines just fine with a craft that had a small part count.  Once I had a craft that had a lot of parts, I was no longer able to.

Still works for me on a craft with 5995 parts. It kills my FPS and the game becomes unresponsive for a few seconds when I place a strut or fuel line (or any part) but still, it works.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

On 4/5/2020 at 2:06 AM, MerlinsMaster said:

Im having the same issue. It also started to glitch when I tried to put objects on attachment points. Uninstalling Stage recovery fixed it. 

• 1 month later...

Is there any way in game to tell what your chance of burning up on reentry is? SR works well for dumping interplanetary transfer stages back into Kerbin for recovery without needing to manually land every one, but they inevitably burn up. My ship designs generally don't accommodate heat shields and it seems like radiators don't actually help with SR's reentry calculations (or maybe I'm just not adding enough, I can't tell).

Some sort of added column in the VAB popup that mentions "maximum entry velocity for 100% reentry survival" would be neat, although I'm not sure if this mod is actually be actively developed or just maintained at this point. 

Edit: I should note that I'm using a Starship style reentry profile that can survive pretty easily when done manually. I know rads generally aren't great for reentry heating but I feel like using them to line the wildward side like makeshift tiles are the closest I can get to a heatshield without just making the whole thing look goofy. Maybe what I'm looking for is just beyond the scope of the mod, it just gets real tedious to land them by hand every time. 

Edited by Unixsystem

21 hours ago, Unixsystem said:

although I'm not sure if this mod is actually be actively developed or just maintained at this point. 

Maintained, not developed.  But, if someone were to submit a PR, I'd be happy to review and merge it.

Could you post a full report showing what's going on?  You are a little short on details

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Maintained, not developed.  But, if someone were to submit a PR, I'd be happy to review and merge it.

Could you post a full report showing what's going on?  You are a little short on details

There's no actual issue with the mod, everything appears to work as intended. It would just be nice if in the VAB GUI where we have the terminal velocity stats for each stage if we also had stats for the maximum reentry speed before risking the stage burning up. That way we could see how much ablator and/or radiators we need to ensure survival (assuming rads are even counted at all). 

That said I know you're maintaining like half of the useful utility mods at this point and ultimately it's a really minor complaint that really only helps in a handful of niche use cases. 

Radiators don’t help with reentry. That’s not even a thing IRL except possibly in some hypothetical designs. (I can’t think of any offhand)

And the stock KSP radiators aren’t even effective in flight scene since they deliberately will not transfer heat to the radiators unless the overheated part is hotter than ambient temperature. That was a response to concerns that radiators were too effective at cooling the craft during reentry, though it was an unrealistic and improper response. 

so what I’m trying to say is it’s probably not reasonable to expect SR to give craft with radiators special handling that they don’t even get during in flight gameplay. 

Edited by Starwaster

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Radiators don’t help with reentry. That’s not even a thing IRL except possibly in some hypothetical designs. (I can’t think of any offhand)

And the stock KSP radiators aren’t even effective in flight scene since they deliberately will not transfer heat to the radiators unless the overheated part is hotter than ambient temperature. That was a response to concerns that radiators were too effective at cooling the craft during reentry, though it was an unrealistic and improper response. 

so what I’m trying to say is it’s probably not reasonable to expect SR to give craft with radiators special handling that they don’t even get during in flight gameplay. 

I wasn't using them as radiators per se, just using them to physically cover up sensitive parts on the windward side of the craft since they have a higher base heat tolerance. With Heat Controls curved rads it actually doesn't look too stupid or add too much to the part count and it does help with high speed reentry. 

Again I know it's such a niche use case that I don't expect anyone to add it to the SR computation, I was just mainly curious if there's any way to figure out the actual speed of a given craft before reentry becomes a dice roll. That way I could at least clip a couple ablative heat shields into the fuel tank or something. Then I could aim my supply ships straight at Kerbin's atmosphere from Duna and then forget about them knowing that SR would take care of the rest. 

Hello! I have had to uninstall stage recovery because it was causing crashes in the VAB and elsewhere due to not being able to calculate the parachute area.

More specifically: When I would mirror parts with parachutes for use by stage recovery, it would crash after mirroring too many. Additionally, it was generally slowing down all of my builds.

Could you please fix this issue? Maybe by not letting stage recovery check recoverability until a parachute is placed, and even then, only check the recovery percentages when the refresh button is clicked?

Additionally, could you update stage recovery to 1.9?

Thank you, I appreciate you maintaining so many mods.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2020 at 11:56 AM, petlahk said:

Additionally, could you update stage recovery to 1.9?

Petlahk, It would be helpful for linuxgurugamer to see your log files to diagnose what the issue may be, so you should post a link to it in dropbox or another service.  The forum title notes it is 1.9 compatible and while I've just started a 1.9 career, seems to be working for me.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:56 PM, petlahk said:

specifically: When I would mirror parts with parachutes for use by stage recovery, it would crash after mirroring too many. Additionally, it was generally slowing down all of my builds.

What is “too many”?

and yes, a copy of the Player.log is essential.

1 hour ago, DefenderX1 said:

How's about 1.10? :)

How about you try it first?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheDicko said:

Hi, where can i find the settings for the mod?

Hi !

in game "escape" key

settings

click :difficulty options

there is the list of all mods installed; choose stage recovery one to view and change parameters

On 7/19/2020 at 4:53 PM, LTQ90 said:

Hi !

in game "escape" key

settings

there is the list of all mods installed; choose stage recovery one to view and change parameters

Thankyou ! I actually realised like 30 mins after posting, but i appreciate the reply

On 7/19/2020 at 12:53 PM, LTQ90 said:

Hi !

in game "escape" key

settings

Mine doesn't have it.

Akqipq8.jpg

Eqgeuzf.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.