[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

16 hours ago, Starwaster said:

What's wrong with it?

14 hours ago, Dfthu said:

I agree with Starwaster, I see nothing wrong here. It seems you just had the SRB and a decoupler. You had no parachutes on it to slow down so it was moving at 80.71 m/s (terminal velocity) when it hit the ground. You need to add parachute(s) so the velocity is below 12

I think that the correct phrase would be: "Terminal velocity of 80.71) (more than 12 needed)"

Why should it say "more"? The terminal velocity of your stage needs to be less than 12m/s or the stage will be destroyed all the time.

If the message would just say "less than 12" I would agree, it should be "more than 12" and it would be a hint that your terminal velocity was above the required minimum of 12m/s. But since it says "less than 12 needed", the message tells you that everything above 12m/s is too fast for a successful stage recovery.

24 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

No. You need a low terminal velocity to survive impact. 

Yes, I know that. I was only talking about the phase!

21 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Why should it say "more"? The terminal velocity of your stage needs to be less than 12m/s or the stage will be destroyed all the time.

If the message would just say "less than 12" I would agree, it should be "more than 12" and it would be a hint that your terminal velocity was above the required minimum of 12m/s. But since it says "less than 12 needed", the message tells you that everything above 12m/s is too fast for a successful stage recovery.

I think that the phase should indicate that 80.71 is more than 12 for a safe landing!

* English is not my native language and I'm not entirely fluent. Sorry if I was wrong!

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

And why would you call a disagreement in the phrasing a "bug"?

Even if it is low priority, if is wrong, is not it a bug?

Anyway, I don't know if is wrong or not.

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Dominiquini said:

think that the phase should indicate that 80.71 is more than 12 for a safe landing!

The wording currently tells you what the actual terminal velocity was.  And then it says in parens what the maximum safe value can be.

What you want is for it to say something like:

"The impact velocity was 80.71, which is 68.71 more than the maximum safe value of 12"

Frankly, I don't see the need, what it's saying is accurate and correct. 

58 minutes ago, Dominiquini said:

Even if it is low priority, if is wrong, is not it a bug?

If it was a bug, yes.  But calling a phrasing a "bug" is essentially like crying "wolf", eventually people won't bother reading your comments because they aren't accurate.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The wording currently tells you what the actual terminal velocity was.  And then it says in parens what the maximum safe value can be.

What you want is for it to say something like:

"The impact velocity was 80.71, which is 68.71 more than the maximum safe value of 12"

Frankly, I don't see the need, what it's saying is accurate and correct. 

If it was a bug, yes.  But calling a phrasing a "bug" is essentially like crying "wolf", eventually people won't bother reading your comments because they aren't accurate.

Sorry then!

Thanks for the answer!

Okay, this is definitely a bug. Terminal was 9.61 and the stage was destroyed, max allowed was 12.

oYuDzMX.png

This being a tourist shuttle, the next flight I made up with it had the same terminal velocity but did recover proper like.

Edited by superqboi

4 hours ago, superqboi said:

Okay, this is definitely a bug. Terminal was 9.61 and the stage was destroyed, max allowed was 12.

oYuDzMX.png

This being a tourist shuttle, the next flight I made up with it had the same terminal velocity but did recover proper like.

Do you run tweakscale?  The more you tweak parts on a craft, the more you have to spam the parachutes as the in-editor recovery popup gets confused and will not give you accurate info.  If this doesn't apply, disregard.  Also, I always target < 5m/s if kerbs are on board as a safety margin

On 8/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, superqboi said:

oYuDzMX.png

the problem is not the Terminal speed its the traveling speed. it was too fast and burned in the atmosphere

On 8/25/2021 at 3:19 AM, danielboro said:

the problem is not the Terminal speed its the traveling speed. it was too fast and burned in the atmosphere

Exactly.  It could be argued that the message is misleading as it never reached terminal velocity having burned up prior.  I'm pretty sure I have received "burned up on re-entry" messages, in which case the terminal velocity part of the message could just be left out

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

Exactly.  It could be argued that the message is misleading as it never reached terminal velocity having burned up prior.  I'm pretty sure I have received "burned up on re-entry" messages, in which case the terminal velocity part of the message could just be left out

I disagree .  It's knowledge which can be useful for your next craft, etc.

It specifically said that it burned up in the atmosphere.  Terminal velocity is merely the velocity something falling stops going faster due to the effect of air friction.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Anyone else having trouble that stage recovery seems not to work with the newest version of ksp 1.12.2 (using stage recovery 1.9.5.4)? I don't receive messages if a stage is destroyed of recovered. Tried re-installing it already.

I'm still on 1.11.2 myself for other reasons, but have you gone through the SR settings to make sure they weren't changed, especially since the re-install?

13 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Anyone else having trouble that stage recovery seems not to work with the newest version of ksp 1.12.2 (using stage recovery 1.9.5.4)? I don't receive messages if a stage is destroyed of recovered. Tried re-installing it already.

I realize that you haven’t asked for help yet,  but if/when you do, provide a log file for analysis

On 10/30/2021 at 12:14 AM, [email protected] said:

Just to be completely sure, these dropped stages are out of physics range, right?

On 10/30/2021 at 12:14 AM, [email protected] said:

KSP 1.12.2 and SR work for me.  I get recovery msgs all the time after launch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey LGG - you mad genius. I was just wondering if you'd know offhand whether StageRecovery would be able to play with NIMBY at all. Without testing, my hunch is that StageRecovery isn't technically "recovering" vessels, and NIMBY's restriction is placed on normal vessel recovery, so StageRecovery might just ignore NIMBY's beacons. But I'm just guessing and I can't test right now - just figured I'd ask you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 2:14 AM, [email protected] said:

I'm having the same issues as well, would like to know if theres a work around. Running both FMRS and SR

On 10/30/2021 at 3:14 AM, [email protected] said:

No logs, no support

2 hours ago, epicpupster239 said:

I'm having the same issues as well, would like to know if theres a work around. Running both FMRS and SR

No logs, no support

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.