[1.11.x] Lionhead Aerospace Circular Solar Panels v5.1 (Requires Firespitter Plugin)

therealcrow999

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If you guys don't want to use the version 5.0 with Firespitter plugin, I understand. There is a download link for version 4.0 where you can just manually change the color of the panels that you want. Which was my original way I did it back in the day.

Edited by therealcrow999

• 2 weeks later...

I did a quick update to mod:

v5.1

- Darken the blue panels to match the shade of blue that stock solar panels have. I was never in favor of the original light blue of the original mod panels, they never really matched the stock game.

bw19mBj.png

ab1rNhB.png

Edited by therealcrow999

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Stone Blue @Gordon Dry :sticktongue: So I...

• Fixed the TGA format issue. It's all DDS now.
  • Partially fixed the normals problem. I remade the textures but the material seems bugged. The parts will need their material re-done and re-exported.
  • Did Localization.
  • Added stock inventory volumes.
  • Raised costs and EC ratings so that they're not all the same value and not inferior to stock (mainly since the full size panel has more surface area than the stock circular panel).
  • Replaced hard dependency on Firespitter with soft dependency on B9 Part Switch.
    • Added a partupgrade requirement for the black color since black solar cells are a later and better tech than blue cells. (Simply delete the cfg file for this if you don't want to go though that extra hoop to get to that option.)
  • Optionally kept the black cells texture as the default since that's what @therealcrow999 preferred, but also raised the default tech requirement, costs and EC ratings (when B9 Part Switch isn't installed) since black solar cells are a later and better tech than blue cells. However, black cells default (with B9PS at least. Not sure if without also counts, but I expect it to) is somehow causing the normals to mess up worse so I've made this into a separate zip for troubleshooting. Either way, this makes the normals issue more concerning. I'm tempted to assume the color tex is somehow being used for the normals.
  • Addressed other config issues. Most importantly: they were all missing the } from PART{} which can cause serious problems.

If anyone is able and willing to redo the material, that'd be great. Here is my rework so far. Otherwise, skip the black default variant and go ahead and publish the blue default variant. Included in the zips are the PSD I used to remake the normal map, spec map, and make the cell colors.

etqe4vC.png

ObrLc17.png

On 12/22/2021 at 10:33 AM, Stone Blue said:

Whats wrong with them?

Spoiler

While TGA files are the best to use if you can't produce DDS (due to having a dedicated Alpha channel and compression or bit depth options), they can swell in file size quite a bit vs the DDS version and will randomly fail to be read by KSP, leading to chances of untextured part. TGA also doesn't have provisions for being used as a normal map, which can be another issue.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2021 at 8:10 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

• Partially fixed the normals problem. I remade the textures but the material seems bugged. The parts will need their material re-done and re-exported.
  • Did Localization.
  • Raised costs and EC ratings so that they're not all the same value and not inferior to stock (mainly since the full size panel has more surface area than the stock circular panel).
  • Replaced hard dependency on Firespitter with soft dependency on B9 Part Switch.
    • Added a partupgrade requirement for the black color since black solar cells are a later and better tech than blue cells. (Simply delete the cfg file for this if you don't want to go though that extra hoop to get to that option.)
  • Optionally kept the black cells texture as the default since that's what @therealcrow999 preferred, but also raised the default tech requirement, costs and EC ratings (when B9 Part Switch isn't installed) since black solar cells are a later and better tech than blue cells. However, black cells default (with B9PS at least. Not sure if without also counts, but I expect it to) is somehow causing the normals to mess up worse so I've made this into a separate zip for troubleshooting. Either way, this makes the normals issue more concerning. I'm tempted to assume the color tex is somehow being used for the normals.
  • Addressed other config issues. Most importantly: they were all missing the } from PART{} which can cause serious problems.

If anyone is able and willing to redo the material, that'd be great. Here is my rework so far. Otherwise, skip the black default variant and go ahead and publish the blue default variant. Included in the zips are the PSD I used to remake the normal map, spec map, and make the cell colors.

Hey @JadeOfMaar, @Stone Blue, @Gordon Dry, @therealcrow999,

where can I download the newest version?

(I can only find the old one here and on CKAN.)

@N3N There's a link right there in my post. However, I never said I was adopting the mod, and the mod owner basically cancelled this mod because it was effectively just filler for the stock circular solar panel which didn't exist yet.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:58 PM, therealcrow999 said:

This is not going to be update. I feel the new stock round solar panels, do everything I wanted. If I could, I would remove this whole thread.

This mod's license is ShareAlike so whoever wants to adopt this mod and use my changes as the baseline is welcome to do so.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@N3N There's a link right there in my post. However, I never said I was adopting the mod, and the mod owner basically cancelled this mod because it was effectively just filler for the stock circular solar panel which didn't exist yet.

Hey @JadeOfMaar,

Sorry for annoying you, but this link doesn't work for me, i'm getting a 404 error.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:10 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

11 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@N3NI'm not getting that error. Maybe your antivirus (or your particular web browser) is blocking you for some reason.

Ok,

I tried everything (deactivating all add-ons and other browser and more...) I can't download it from my network.

What a pity, no mod for me.

I don't want to annoy you any further.

Edited by N3N

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

• Did Localization.

etqe4vC.png

ObrLc17.png

Reveal hidden contents

While TGA files are the best to use if you can't produce DDS (due to having a dedicated Alpha channel and compression or bit depth options), they can swell in file size quite a bit vs the DDS version and will randomly fail to be read by KSP, leading to chances of untextured part. TGA also doesn't have provisions for being used as a normal map, which can be another issue.

Somewhat of a necro but thank you for making these fixes and providing a decent amount of stability to this mod. OX10cs are too small for quite a few craft and concepts.

Edited by Pxtseryu