Bring back the BETA - why it's in Squad's best interest

Just now, Lisias said:

Read my post again. "final edition" is not exactly the same as "last edition".

It's the difference from the artifacts made by a Program from the ones made by a Project.

This is really diverging from the topic but my last comment on this is the F9 was being developed. Now it's development has frozen. Little to no RnD is being spent on B5. (Make this fit with the topic) KSP however, is actively being developed, changed and improved.

5 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

This is really diverging from the topic but my last comment on this is the F9 was being developed. Now it's development has frozen. Little to no RnD is being spent on B5. (Make this fit with the topic) KSP however, is actively being developed, changed and improved.

Frozen, not ended. If anything wrong are discovered, a new "edition' will be issued. So, the current one cannot be said as "final edition". But can be the last edition when the F9 reaches end of life, and the Falcon9 Program is finished.

This is the reason I'm stressing the diferences between a Program and a Project.

KSP is like Elite Dangerous - an ongoing effort to deliver a Game - it will never be "finished" - unless Squad decide to switch it's business model to something like GTA - GTA1, GTA2, GTA3, GTA4 and now GTA5 were sold separately, and even developed by different developers. It's the reason GTA is called "a Franchise", by the way: it's not even a "Program", but a series of different Projects that happens to use the same name.

Edited by Lisias
yse! yte anohter typo! =P

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

broken mess that is KSP

seems a bit of a leap to me... sure the wheels still aren't perfect but I've honestly not seen a severe bug for a long time. 

Perfect? No, of course not.

Broken mess? That's a step too far the other way... but I do get what you mean regarding the rest of your comment.

Just now, MR L A said:

seems a bit of a leap to me... sure the wheels still aren't perfect but I've honestly not seen a severe bug for a long time. 

Perfect? No, of course not.

Broken mess? That's a step too far the other way... but I do get what you mean regarding the rest of your comment.

Again, I was referring to the internals of KSP. Things that may only be apparent to mod developers who are waist deep in KSP's functionality, assets and coding to make their content. Most of the mess I was inferring, was very much developer side. What the consumer wouldn't know without actively investigating KSP's internals.

3 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Again, I was referring to the internals of KSP. Things that may only be apparent to mod developers who are waist deep in KSP's functionality, assets and coding to make their content. Most of the mess I was inferring, was very much developer side. What the consumer wouldn't know without actively investigating KSP's internals.

Sausages, Laws and Software - it's better to do not know how they are made while consumption. :D 

IMHO, this "broken mess" is not cause, but an effect. A collateral effect from the extreme mod friendly posture of Squad.

I see, too, some good opportunities for improvement :) on KSP, but I also see the consequences of such improvements on the mod scene. And, frankly, right now, my worst problems are on what i'm calling "Unholy interactions between add-ons" that I jokingly complement "is what Krakens feed on". :D 

Of course, they do some mishaps regularly, and I think they need to better address that on future releases - but, and again, IMHO, they would mishap a lot less if they didn't wanted to keep this mod friendly environment we have.

TL;DR: Yes, we must keep complaining about bugs. But we should restrict our complainings to the bugs. :) 

In regards to the Steam thing, you can opt into "betas" that are just previous versions of the game, going as far back as 1.0.5, which honestly sounds like Squad doing what they can for us, despite what Steam wants to do. Also, even though Steam doesn't let us just not update, you can also set the game to only update when you launch it. This will make it quite hard to not notice your game has been updated, and in KSP's case, will allow you to then decide to opt in to a previous version that works with your mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.