Download corrupted

I downloaded 1.5.1 from the KSP Store. However, on unpacking the .zip the file appears to be corrupted:

qRbpovj.jpg

I've tried downloading it multiple times with Firefox, Chrome and Edge - same result. Any ideas about how to solve that?

Edited by Chemp

11 hours ago, severedsolo said:

First thing I would try is using a different zip manager just to rule that out (Windows has built in support for zips - just right click>Open With>File Explorer)

That would be odd, I've been using WinRar for 10-15 years, and have never encountered an issue with any KSP file.  I have yet to download 1.5 though. 

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

That would be odd, I've been using WinRar for 10-15 years, and have never encountered an issue with any KSP file.  I have yet to download 1.5 though.

Agreed, I've never had any issues either, but it's the common denominator in every attempt (except Windows itself of course) so it's good to eliminate it.

16 hours ago, severedsolo said:

First thing I would try is using a different zip manager just to rule that out (Windows has built in support for zips - just right click>Open With>File Explorer)

Thank you for the quick answer. It's odd indeed, I'm sure the problem is on my end but I can't figure it out.

I used the built-in utility to unzip, which also throws an error: 0x80004005. I can skip the dialog but other files inside the zip pop up with the same error.

BauxpsE.jpg

Googling yielded some promising results but after trying everything that even seemed remotely connected, including uninstalling Java and mucking with the registry, I'm back where I started. :(

Edit: I guess I should be more specific. I tried:

• run regsvr32 jscript.dll and regsvr32 vbscript.dll in the command prompt
  • uninstall Java
  • try 7-zip
  • repair the .zip with winrar
  • try to disable Microsoft 6to4 adapters (I had none)
  • Run antivirus and malewarebytes to see if I picked up something (nothing, yay!)
Edited by Chemp

I've never encountered anything 7zip can't handle which leaves us with two possibilities:

1) The store zip is actually corrupted (seems unlikely, as I feel like there would be more reports, but it's a possibility, I can't check this for you as I run the game on Steam, perhaps @UomoCapra can weigh in on that)

2) Something on your computer is interfering.

I can't help with 1) but there's a couple of things you can do to eliminate 2)

First - try a Clean boot  - if this works, something on your PC is interfering (anti virus probably).

I do have one other idea, but it's a bit technical and wouldn't like to recommend it if it isn't absolutely necessary - so try the clean boot first.

Edited by severedsolo

I'm sure its something on my side. I just can't figure it out.

I tried the clean boot, thank you. Never knew that was so easy, I learned something new today :)

So after rebooting, I redownloaded the file from the store and tried again. Same error message.

However, I found out something: it only occurs with larger files; smaller zips are perfectly fine.

5 hours ago, Chemp said:

However, I found out something: it only occurs with larger files; smaller zips are perfectly fine.

Huh. I wonder. This is a long shot but check the drive you are downloading/extracting it to is formatted NTFS - you can check this by right clicking the drive in My Computer and clicking properties. Fat32 doesn't like large files.

Assuming that's ok (and I'd be amazed if it wasn't, Windows has used NTFS as default for years) - I think we need to establish whether it's the download or your OS.

Download a Linux Live Image - I'm going to recommend Linux Mint because if you are coming from Windows, it's easy to use.

If you have a DVD burner, burn the image to DVD using ImgBurn (be warned it may try to install some adware, unselect all the options for those) - make sure you use the lowest burn speed and use the verification options.

If you don't have a DVD burner, use LiLo to make a bootable USB stick instead (be warned, this will wipe any data on the USB stick).

Boot into the Linux Live Environment (exact way to do this varies by PC, but usually you spam F8 or F12 until you get the boot menu, and then select the drive/usb stick from the menu). DO NOT INSTALL LINUX - just use the live environment.

You probably won't be able to save files in the Linux Live Environment (I forget exactly how it works, whether you can download them but it's lost on reboot, or if it just won't do it at all) but you can access your Windows partition from Linux and download/try to extract it to there. If you get stuck on that bit, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

If THAT works, then you have a serious OS problem, in which case I am going to recommend you reinstall Windows. If it doesn't, it's 100% the store and you should contact Squad Support.

Edited by severedsolo

17 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

You could also try downloading it to a different physical drive or usb drive.

22 hours ago, severedsolo said:

This is a long shot but check the drive you are downloading/extracting it to is formatted NTFS - you can check this by right clicking the drive in My Computer and clicking properties. Fat32 doesn't like large files.

HDD formatted NTFS, as expected, but even FAT32 should be able to handle anything under 4GB. I tried downloading to a different HDD - same error.

22 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Download a Linux Live Image - I'm going to recommend Linux Mint because if you are coming from Windows, it's easy to use.

It just finished downloading and interestingly, the file is perfectly fine even though it's bigger than the KSP zip. I won't try the Linux approach until the weekend, if anything goes wrong I don't want to be in a hurry to fix it: I need my PC for work, too. But I tried something else: I logged into the KSP store through my phone, downloaded the file and copied it over to the PC - it extracts without throwing errors.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or not... On one hand, that means that my OS handles zips just fine (as it always did in the past), on the other hand it might indicate that my PC isn't communicating properly with my router anymore. Some additional info: My internet connection is over the 4G mobile network. The router is actually just an glorified antenna with a SIM inside. https://i.imgur.com/YLno3UA.jpg Reception on my PC is through a WiFi dongle in a USB port.

1 hour ago, Chemp said:

I'm not sure if I should be happy or not... On one hand, that means that my OS handles zips just fine (as it always did in the past), on the other hand it might indicate that my PC isn't communicating properly with my router anymore. Some additional info: My internet connection is over the 4G mobile network.

If it worked after copying it over, I would say that Linux is not needed - you know your OS can handle it, you are just mangling the zip (for whatever reason).

At this point, I really don't know what to suggest, except make sure that your drivers for the dongle are up to date (you don't mention explicitly, but I assume you downloaded the zip to your phone through the same router). It may also be worth uninstalling the dongle through Device Manager and reinstalling it.

It's obviously your router mangling the packets or something, but that's something that is well beyond my expertise and you probably need a tech support forum to help you (or contact the official support for your dongle if that's available.) - I'll recommend Ten Forums, I used to volunteer there many years ago, and they are a knowledgeable bunch

Edited by severedsolo

20 hours ago, severedsolo said:

At this point, I really don't know what to suggest, except make sure that your drivers for the dongle are up to date (you don't mention explicitly, but I assume you downloaded the zip to your phone through the same router). It may also be worth uninstalling the dongle through Device Manager and reinstalling it. 

I could slap myself. Updating the driver did it.

Thank you for all your help! That was AAA tech support :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.