ZL647

Just went the fastest I've ever gone @ Sea Level

I built a plane in an attempt to get to orbit. Failed to make orbit but had fuel left after the attempt to decided to absolutely full throttle it back to KSC Runway. I hit just slightly over 1000 m/s at around 150 meters above sea level. The instant I tried to make a slight adjustment in flight path, the plane ripped itself apart and I laughed in delight at the nice fireworks.

I'm sure others have gone faster that low, but hitting mach 3 at sea level for me is pretty serious. I laughed.

• Like 5

I can go faster with DLC Parts and a ton of engines XD

Nice tho

Edited by Kroslev Kerman

1 hour ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

I can go faster with DLC Parts and a ton of engines XD

Just attach a mk1 command pod, and several hundred SRBs and you will be fine

I had some leftover fuel at the end of a space plane mission and I needed a flat place to land so I decided to speed at around 1500m/s at 20km to the ice caps but I couldn’t go much faster than 900m/s ASL without ripping to bits

I once built a GI-Joe style orbital bombardment station (using hyperedit) and one beam went ~1000 m/s at about 1500 meters up. Fastest I've gone.

I’ve done Mach 4 or so near sea level, but up at 16 km, using jets only I’ve reached 1800 m/s (Mach 5.25) in a jet I called the Bullet Mk2.

However, even up that high the plane was barely maneuverable at all because of its dinky, triangular  wings that spanned up the entire fuselage designed entirely for speed.

The design consists of an extremely elongated fairing serving as a heat-resistant nose cone, behind that was a heat shield and the cockpit. I then used many long Mk2 fuel tanks with most fuel taken out of them to decrease mass.

The fastest i have gone is 1670m/s with a hilariously useless plane