NASA's Deep Space Gateway

Xemina

Well, Canada has formally committed to LOP-G. If I read this article right, it appears to be a $2B commitment, with the bulk of it going to MDA for Canadarm 3. And it sounds like we intend on sending canuckonauts up there too, but no word on whom or what we will hitch a ride with yet. Presumably wherever there's a seat.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Spoiler
5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, Canada has formally committed to LOP-G. If I read this article right, it appears to be a $2B commitment, with the bulk of it going to MDA for Canadarm 3.

If I get the previous discussions right, that's the answer to the question: what's the LOP-G purpose?

It's a pad for the lunar Canadarm.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, Canada has formally committed to LOP-G. If I read this article right, it appears to be a $2B commitment, with the bulk of it going to MDA for Canadarm 3. And it sounds like we intend on sending canuckonauts up there too, but no word on whom or what we will hitch a ride with yet. Presumably wherever there's a seat.

1.9B goes to supplying the astronauts with maple syrup.

17 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Well, if there's banana pancakes as well, I am all for it!

How fortunate, seeing as next week is Maslenitsa.

hello_html_m1a662f60.jpg

I’m about to get sick of pancakes.

5 minutes ago, DDE said:

How fortunate, seeing as next week is Maslenitsa.

hello_html_m1a662f60.jpg

I’m about to get sick of pancakes.

Blasphemy!

8 hours ago, tater said:

Yeah, both Crew Dragon and CST-100 would need real SMs.

CST-100 has no place to put a service module extension, though it does have those nifty RS-88s (or the hypergolic derivative) that can gimbal to thrust through the COM independently or in concert without any cosine losses. No idea what its Isp is, though:

The CST-100's service module could conceivably be adapted to plumb auxiliary propellant lines through a docking port in the center of the SM to add a drop tank to be put into place on orbit.

The Dragon 2, on the other hand, has no onboard engines suitable for LOI or Earth return. There's no way to easily adapt the architecture to add propellants for the Dracos on orbit, and even if there was, they probably don't have enough thrust for LOI. You of course do not want to use the SuperDracos due to cosine and underexpansion losses. However, Dragon 2 does have the externally-manifested cargo pay with coupling attachment. Launching with an international docking adapter inside that means that you can launch an auxiliary propulsion unit (based on the RS-88 architecture or virtually anything else) and attach in orbit, with zero modifications to Dragon 2.

Either approach converts the vehicle from an LEO ferry to a cislunar ferry, provided that the vehicle delivering the additional prop has enough residuals to perform TLI. And you get nice comfy eyeballs-in burns in both cases.

Even with the more expensive Boeing approach, you'd be delivering up to 7 crew to LOP-G for less than a quarter the cost of delivering up to 4 crew to LOP-G with Orion on SLS Block 1.

52 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Either approach converts the vehicle from an LEO ferry to a cislunar ferry, provided that the vehicle delivering the additional prop has enough residuals to perform TLI. And you get nice comfy eyeballs-in burns in both cases.

Even with the more expensive Boeing approach, you'd be delivering up to 7 crew to LOP-G for less than a quarter the cost of delivering up to 4 crew to LOP-G with Orion on SLS Block 1.

Yeah, this is true for propulsion (in effect docking it to a tug/ferry (ACES?)). Unsure what if anything would be needed for CM consumables (ECLSS, etc), or if you'd need to have that on the tug, with a small "crew" area on the tug so that the hatch is opened, and the tug takes care of excess LS needs.

32 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, this is true for propulsion (in effect docking it to a tug/ferry (ACES?)). Unsure what if anything would be needed for CM consumables (ECLSS, etc), or if you'd need to have that on the tug, with a small "crew" area on the tug so that the hatch is opened, and the tug takes care of excess LS needs.

A lot of concepts I see involve ACES replacing the SM entirely.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Roscosmos looked at just slapping a Fregat over the service engine.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Ol’ Musky Boi said:

Laughs in Casaba Howitzer

You've got to love Project Orion. Single stage to Mars and back? Yes please!

You mean single stage to Saturn and back? (with later developments)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.