[Artwork] High-res Kerbin Wallpaper

whatisthisidonteven

Hey guys, I recently got the extended edition of Photoshop CS6 (I previously had the regular one) and decided to give its fancy 3D features a spin, making this wallpaper.

I made it in two versions, a scaled down 1600x800 version for lower res monitors and a 2048x1024 resolution one for higher res monitors. I will add more resolutions as I go along.

The clouds are actually Earth's cloud map (Thanks Radion for that idea, who's video also partially inspired me to make this wallpaper).

The flat map of Kerbin that was used comes from an unknown author (If you know who made it, please say so so I can include the appropriate credits)

id50z5.jpg

iOspA.jpg

JyGL1.jpg

Anl7H.jpg

F48Y9.jpg

75Yxe.jpg

Enjoy guys!

Edited by whatisthisidonteven

Very nicely done, but kind of oddly-sized, don't you think? More common resolutions are 1366x768, 1440x900, 1650x1080, 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.

Just pointing it out for future reference in case you were unaware. Nice job though, seriously.

Very nicely done, but kind of oddly-sized, don't you think? More common resolutions are 1366x768, 1440x900, 1650x1080, 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.

Just pointing it out for future reference in case you were unaware. Nice job though, seriously.

The reason I made them the odd sizes is so that they can be scaled up and down between a more wide variety of resolutions without as much quality loss. If you have a specific request for a resolution post it here and I'll scale it for you.

Also if anyone knows where I can find a Mercator Projection (or other flat projection) map for Minmus and the Mun please say so, Adding the Mun and Minmus to this picture would be nice but I do not know any utilities for creating a flat map of the planets

Why is the picture all grainy as if you had saved it in 16 bit?

I may have messed up some settings somewhere, I'll go back to the PSD file and edit it a bit.

EDIT** Yep, it's fixed now.

I would love some 3840x1080 KSP wallpapers ;)

I'll see what I can do

1920 x 1200.

Added to the OP as well as a few other resolutions

i love it! could you tell me, how did you get kerbin in such a nice style? did you take a ingame screenshot and changed it?

I obtained a flat map of Kerbin and wrapped it around a sphere using Photoshop's mini 3D studio, I then obtained the cloud map of Earth and also wrapped it around a sphere and changed the layer mode to screen to give it that nice effect it has.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.