How ask a doctor for sick leave?

Pawelk198604

I need sick leave I think I caught a cold or even flu :( 

In my country (Poland), we go to our so called first contact doctor (i know it's sounds like a Star Trek :D  )  a Pediatrist if you're kid or Internist if you're adult for
prescriptions and medical leave from work, school, university and so on. 

How to talk to a doctor? I would like a medical leave, I work in gastronomy and more specifically in a confectionery, my head hurts and I have a cold, I'm afraid that it is something virus-like :(, in the morning before work I had 37 C, now I have 36 C for a change, I do not want to infect anyone.

My manager blamed me for coming to work with an infectious disease, but she told me to stay, said that instead of going to work today, I should go to my outpatient clinic, to my doctor for medical exemption, but she doubts that the doctor will write me a sick leave, because of a runny nose. She told me that she had recently been sick that she was taking antibiotics, but she came to work despite the fact that she feels weak because she does not imagine that she would not come to work.

I wanted to tell her that maybe Maybe she infected me with a disease, so maybe You buy you my eventual prescription from the doctor xD, but I will not tell her of course because she is my boss ::( 

I must say that I admire her, she is mild aged but very strong-willed woman that would stand on her post no matter what, I would love to be more even half as organized as she :) 

We work in the catering industry, so we have contact with food does not want to have on conscience that someone will infect :( 

Tomorrow, there will probably be a lot of customers, there will probably be a lot of dishes for cleaning and tables to be wiped out, because that's what is my competence, taking care of cleanliness? But how should I do it if I still sneeze?

Earlier, I worked in the Polish KFC section, where the manager sent the employee home even if someone sneezed slightly.

This time I have a whole wet nose, my head hurts, and my manager suspects that I do not want to come to work tomorrow because of laziness, because tomorrow will be a lot of guests because it will be damn Halloween, a feast that fits the Polish like a fist to the nose! 

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=369857&p=8060926#p8060926

Edited by Pawelk198604

Your manager really should have seen your side here, my brother also worked in the fast food industry for a while and at any sign of sickness, he had to go home. I don't know whether it's the EU or national regulations for this sort of thing, but if it is, then the regulations should be the sane for you (I live in the UK). If you do need a doctors note for this, then call the receptionist and explain your situation, they'll know what to do from there. 

Hi all

MY previous employer had a very firm policy of sick people, and we weren't even close to the hospitality business. The policy was: "Don't come to work sick. EVER." Not what you would expect in a business with firm (and expensive) deadlines. But the logic was perfect. One sick person is bad and might cause us to miss a deadline (or two). IF that one sick person valiantly drags himself into work he might infect five or six people, particularly mission critical people, the bottlenecks in the productivity chain. A half dozen people sick is going to send the whole schedule for the next six months into free fall, and probably will infect every body else. 

When people obeyed this Policy we were all fine. Sick person was back at work in a few days and we usually didn't miss the deadlines because they could still do some work from home. When people didn't obey the policy other people DID get sick and deadlines were missed and the customers were very unhappy (which is never cool no matter what business you are in). I am certain some people abused the system but I think most didn't.

If your boss or manager doesn't see the wisdom of keeping sick employees away from other employees and (more importantly) the paying customers then you should probably be polishing up your CV. Either you can do better somewhere else or your boss/manager is too dumb for their job and you should be ready to assume their position when they get fired.

Anyway, Pawelk198604, hope you feel better real soon. I can empathize.

Take care, be safe. have fun.

Regards

Orc

There are food standards laws in Australia that prevent this situation.  An employer cannot penalize you for following these standards by law.  You should look into the safe service of foods laws in Poland, Mate, as it should guide you in the right direction.  I also hope you feel better - I enjoy black tea with lemon and honey when I become one of the infected.

Poland is part of the European Union and as such we can assume the same or similar standards as in the other countries.

Not sure if we have enough overview of the complete situation here to actually give hints.

Edited by Green Baron

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

It's a good practice to wear a medicine mask.

Hide contents

il_570xN.1411047655_k74p.jpg

Lol not very funny :D 

3 hours ago, Orc said:

Hi all

MY previous employer had a very firm policy of sick people, and we weren't even close to the hospitality business. The policy was: "Don't come to work sick. EVER." Not what you would expect in a business with firm (and expensive) deadlines. But the logic was perfect. One sick person is bad and might cause us to miss a deadline (or two). IF that one sick person valiantly drags himself into work he might infect five or six people, particularly mission critical people, the bottlenecks in the productivity chain. A half dozen people sick is going to send the whole schedule for the next six months into free fall, and probably will infect every body else. 

When people obeyed this Policy we were all fine. Sick person was back at work in a few days and we usually didn't miss the deadlines because they could still do some work from home. When people didn't obey the policy other people DID get sick and deadlines were missed and the customers were very unhappy (which is never cool no matter what business you are in). I am certain some people abused the system but I think most didn't.

If your boss or manager doesn't see the wisdom of keeping sick employees away from other employees and (more importantly) the paying customers then you should probably be polishing up your CV. Either you can do better somewhere else or your boss/manager is too dumb for their job and you should be ready to assume their position when they get fired.

Anyway, Pawelk198604, hope you feel better real soon. I can empathize.

Take care, be safe. have fun.

Regards

Orc

3 hours ago, James Kerman said:

There are food standards laws in Australia that prevent this situation.  An employer cannot penalize you for following these standards by law.  You should look into the safe service of foods laws in Poland, Mate, as it should guide you in the right direction.  I also hope you feel better - I enjoy black tea with lemon and honey when I become one of the infected.

In Poland, too, we have the same rules, for example, my previous employer, the Amrest corporation which is a franchisee of KFC, Burger King and PizzaHut in Poland and Europe, which incidentally has its main headquarters in Poland :-)

(I personally worked in KFC) We had a rule that even if there was a suspicion that someone has a bacterial or viral disease was sent by the manager or deputy manager, depending on who led the change home. Besides, even our Polish sanitary regulations are very clear.

As I told my doctor, she only frowned that my manager was irresponsible, that once I was a disabled worker myself, I have Asperger, that I could be more prone to fatigue and that I have a suspicion of an infectious disease and I work with food. She said it was very irresponsible that the manager goes to work during antibiotics, the doctor joked that workaholism is also a disease entity, She wrote me 3 days off from 31st October to 2 November.

Where I live in the USA you are not likely to see your primary care physician before you get better from the cold or flu.  I can literally take weeks before you get to see your doctor.  If you are REALLY sick you can go to the emergency room.  

Many people here in the food service industry need to work every hour that they can and don't get paid sick leave.  Also the boss might decide the employee is unreliable if they don't show up for work because they are sick and give them fewer hours to work or fire them entirely.  This leads a lot of people to show up for work sick and is a real problem.  

11 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

She wrote me 3 days off from 31st October to 2 November.

Good to know. As I said, if you explain the situation clear enough, they can have a clearer decision to take as well.

Take care, get well soon !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.