Mod to show part name

Tonka Crash

The closest I'm aware of is kOS' tag system—it allows you give parts unique tags via the right-click menu, but on the tag input pop-up it also shows the .cfg name of the part—not quite as simple as a hover-over, but it's there and accessible both in the VAB and in flight. And you can basically ignore the rest of the features of kOS and just use that feature. 

• 3 months later...

I came up with a MM patch to add what I was looking for. I did it in a shade of gray so it's not really standing out too much but it's there if you need it. I write a lot of my own patches and finding the real name of parts has always been a nuisance to me. This simplifies that process.

//Add part name to description
@PART[*]:FINAL { @description = #$description$ <color=#7F7F7F> [$name$]</color> }

JJiUzHP.png

29 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I came up with a MM patch to add what I was looking for. I did it in a shade of gray so it's not really standing out too much but it's there if you need it. I write a lot of my own patches and finding the real name of parts has always been a nuisance to me. This simplifies that process.

//Add part name to description
@PART[*]:FINAL { @description = #$description$ <color=#7F7F7F> [$name$]</color> }

Is it possible to have it show the entire path of the cfg file?  I have so many part mods installed, and it's such a pain sometimes to figure out which mod it is.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Is it possible to have it show the entire path of the cfg file?  I have so many part mods installed, and it's such a pain sometimes to figure out which mod it is.

I don't think so. The path to the part isn't an attribute of the part.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

On windows, you can open a powershell in your GameData (hold down shift + right click some empty space in the folder) folder and search for the partname by typing: findstr /S "partname" *.cfg
This command will search though all .cfg files of your current directory and all subdirectories, looking for a string which matches your partname :)

On Linux, grep -R partname should find it as well ;)

Edit: Also, Janitors Closet displays the mod name of a part in the editor (not sure if you need to enable this feature in the settings) :)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

I figured, we're probably in plugin territory for that.

Janitor's Closet currently can show the mod a part is from when you hover over the part in the parts list.  This might be doable, but the question is, is this necessary all the time or would this be needed occassionally.  I'm  also thinking it shouldn't be too difficult to write a mod to add that info to the part info column

Thinking about this, it might be easier than I thought.  Stay tuned for further announcements :-)

14 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Edit: Also, Janitors Closet displays the mod name of a part in the editor (not sure if you need to enable this feature in the settings) :)

It is a setting

13 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

On Linux, grep -R partname should find it as well ;)

Learn something new everyday. I was never aware of the recursive option and I've used *nix commands for decades. I've always used: find . -name "*.cfg" -exec grep partname {} \;

Here you go:

PartInfo

PartInfo is a simple mod to expose the internal part name and path to the part file.  

The data shows up in the VAB/SPH when you right-click on a part in the part list

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PartInfo/releases/tag/0.0.1

I'll do a  more formal release later.  Before I do, is there any other internal information you would like to have exposed?  If any more are added, I'll add in some sort of configuration option.  Right now this is just about as simple a mod as you can get

It DOES require ModuleManager

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

PartInfo is a simple mod to expose the internal part name and path to the part file.  

partURL works for most parts, but new parts that are created through MM patches with +PART have the URL of their source part and not the URL of the patch that created them. Missing History does this for a lot of it's parts that are rescaled from squad parts. I don't think there's any fix for that.

14 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

partURL works for most parts, but new parts that are created through MM patches with +PART have the URL of their source part and not the URL of the patch that created them. Missing History does this for a lot of it's parts that are rescaled from squad parts. I don't think there's any fix for that.

Nothing can be done about that, the changes are done before being loaded into the game

If there is not already another way to do it, what about an in-game UI, that polls the MM log, pulls info from patches that are only relating to parts (those that essentially create new, or edit existing parts), and displays *that*... vOv I guess useful info would be in-game part name, "hidden" part name, source partURL, mod that is modifying/adding the part... vOv

just spit-balling here

Edited by Stone Blue

19 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

If there is not already another way to do it, what about an in-game UI, that polls the MM log, pulls info from patches that are only relating to parts (those that essentially create new, or edit existing parts), and displays *that*... vOv I guess useful info would be in-game part name, "hidden" part name, source partURL, mod that is modifying/adding the part... vOv

just spit-balling here

I'm having a nightmare just thinking about it

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:18 AM, Geonovast said:

Following onto @4x4cheesecake's Part Name patch, you could do exactly the same thing to show the part's author in the editor description. It wouldn't give you the mod exactly, but should narrow things down significantly.

//Add part AUTHOR to description
@PART[*]:FINAL { @description = #$description$ <color=#7F7F7F> [$author$]</color> }

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.