Hello,

I haven't been playing ksp for long, but I've noticed a distinct lack of any cameras in the game (I mean as parts, obviously there is "the camera"). This seems a little strange, seeing as space travel in real life often involves cameras in some form. Whether on rovers, attached to rockets or in telescopes, they're everywhere, but the only "camera" in ksp is a huge infrared telescope. As well as adding realism, cameras could be used as a science tool, and potentially even be used to boost popularity and funds like photos do in actual space programs. Maybe camera views could be switched between by using "C" to change which camera you're seeing through, and "photos" from the cameras could be saved like screenshots.

Here are a few ideas for different camera types, any of which I think would be a great addition to the game:

• A rocket-side camera- Maybe a gopro sized thing which you could stick on the side of rockets to film as they launch
  • A moveable mastcam or camera system- Would be great for rovers, like the ones on opportunity or curiosity
  • A tiny, hull-mounted camera for probes or rovers- like the navigation cameras on on Curiosity, could maybe make lower quality photos
  • A large fixed camera- maybe for higher quality photos
  • A space telescope part- yes, there's the SENTINEL, but it would be nice if there was something else, maybe to look at stars or very distant planets and take photos, like the Hubble space telescope.

BlueDog Design Bureau has a nice selection of cameras: a low tech film camera that must be returned, a mid tech that sends some science back but has to be returned for full science and a digital high tech camera that can transmit 100%

4 hours ago, FellowBob said:

I know there are mods, I just think cameras would be a great addition to the game in general.

I see your point, but if we already have a mod capable of doing it then why would it be added to stock. 

6 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I see your point, but if we already have a mod capable of doing it then why would it be added to stock. 

Stability.  Purity.  There's plenty of reasons.

When they stop adding stuff to the game is when the game dies.

Just now, Geonovast said:

Stability.  Purity.  There's plenty of reasons.

When they stop adding stuff to the game is when the game dies.

That's what I was thinking. Also, it just seems like a logical thing to have in a spaceship game. I feel like it's missing something without any cameras or telescopes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.