ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

Haven't seen a discussion thread specifically for the ISS so i decided to make one.

Looks like the crew of the ISS are having alot of fun.

At first i thought it was kind of weird to spend cargo mass on stuff like decoration and 'fun' things in general, but if you think about it, most souvenirs don't weigh much more than a few grams, so if you need to pay $10,000 for a kg for example, you only need to pay less than $100-500 for a cheap darth vader mask and lightsaber to the ISS. not much compared to the rest of the gear on the ISS. Plastic toys can also be reused for years, so they don't have to launch it up there every year, only once. 

Does the ISS have a 'special junk' bag?

I was quite pleased for the ISS when I found out NASA pays to deliver Sriracha sauce .  I'd almost be willing to pay the same amount if my supply was threatened.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/there-s-bottle-sriracha-onboard-international-space-station

Edited by James Kerman
Fixing Link

2 hours ago, James Kerman said:

I was quite pleased for the ISS when I found out NASA pays to deliver Sriracha sauce .  I'd almost be willing to pay the same amount if my supply was threatened.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/there-s-bottle-sriracha-onboard-international-space-station

Sid Gutierrez (Shuttle astronaut who lives here in Albuquerque) told us that hot sauce was like cigarettes in prison in space. Taste somehow changes for people in microgravity to the point where everything is flavorless, and the only way to make them want to eat much of anything is to put hot sauce on it so it tastes like something.

He said that by the end of a Shuttle flight people would be trading stuff for a packet of hot sauce (they brought little fast-food packets).

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Haven't seen a discussion thread specifically for the ISS so i decided to make one.

Looks like the crew of the ISS are having alot of fun.

At first i thought it was kind of weird to spend cargo mass on stuff like decoration and 'fun' things in general, but if you think about it, most souvenirs don't weigh much more than a few grams, so if you need to pay $10,000 for a kg for example, you only need to pay less than $100-500 for a cheap darth vader mask and lightsaber to the ISS. not much compared to the rest of the gear on the ISS. Plastic toys can also be reused for years, so they don't have to launch it up there every year, only once. 

Does the ISS have a 'special junk' bag?

Shipping trinkets to orbit - $10,000 per kilogram

Keeping your astronauts from going stir crazy in their collection of tin cans - priceless.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

Trust me, having lived in not dissimilar isolated conditions (serving on an SSBN), those cheap trinkets and the entertainment they bring are worth 10x their weight in gold.

3 hours ago, KSK said:

Well don’t keep us in suspense! Is it or issn’t it?

It say right there in the URL, it iss.

I've heard that salt was also quite popular to make the food palatable.  Each astronaut has input into food choices, and some of the lists are kind of interesting.  Lots of treats and snacks to keep some interest, or trying to bring a taste of home with them.  Each astronaut gets some allowance for personal items, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

JAXA has successfully retrieved a capsule of protein crystals grown on the ISS for medical research.

Capsule with ISS experiments aboard is recovered after splashing down into ocean near remote island

• Nov 11, 2018
A capsule ejected from a space cargo vessel returned to Earth on Sunday, bringing back experiment samples from the International Space Station (ISS) in the first such mission for Japan.

The Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said the capsule, measuring 84 wide and 66 cm high, made a parachute-assisted splashdown in the Pacific near the island of Minamitorishima early in the morning and was retrieved later in the day.

“I think we’ve succeeded almost as planned,” Hirohiko Uematsu, technology director of JAXA, told a press conference at the agency’s Tsukuba Space Center in Ibaraki Prefecture. “Japan has obtained the technology that is essential for us to move forward.”

JAXA is now aiming to develop a new capsule that can return home without being assisted by a space vessel, while the success of the latest mission is also expected to help in the development of Japan’s own spacecraft for manned missions in the future.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/11/11/national/capsule-iss-experiments-aboard-recovered-splashing-ocean-near-remote-island/#.W-lLPGeQ8jI

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of old floppy disks have been found on the ISS. https://www.cnet.com/news/iss-astronaut-finds-nasa-floppy-disks-in-space/

Even more entertaining, IMO, is this twitter thread:

Read the whole thing, it goes through how this guy found out what they were for, when they were from, and how some station computers run Windows 95.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:54 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Read the whole thing, it goes through how this guy found out what they were for, when they were from, and how some station computers run Windows 95.

Speaking of computers, they got 80 laptops, wich use different operating systems.

They have Windows 7,

iBnFk.jpg

And this: im not that big of a computer whiz so i don't know what OS it is. But it doesn't look like Windows to me.

AMS_2014_c.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the older gizmos still use XP or 95. Updating it could probably cause some expensive problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Comms restored, max G force reported 3.9.

Aaaaand... Come on... Chutes should be out any second now... They're saying they should be out but they are waiting for confirmation... Not going to lie this is really nerve wracking.

Voice comms established, crew feeling well, no official confirmation of chute but if they are feeling well and have comms I'd imagine it's out by now.

3.5 minutes to landing, official confirmation of chute!

• 1 year later...