ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

17 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

Nothing that cannot be fixed with a piece of duct tape.:cool:

Duct tape is advanced rocket science.

What they'll do to the leak is probably not a lot more sophisticated than that, but the trick is finding where to stick the tape or equivalent. Slow leaks are hard enough to find when you aren't inside the pressurized vessel you''re testing, breathing the mixture you're testing with, and surrounded by vacuum of space.

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Probably bad seal somewhere. ISS is not exactly a spring chicken anymore :) There is also a (lesser) chance it's the effect of a collision - maybe micrometeoroid, maybe a small piece of space trash.

Or maybe... mini-Kraken hidden somewhere is chewing on the hull trying to escape :D

Colliders of two parts unexpectedly intersect and cause parts trembling.

11 hours ago, Moach said:

The most Kerbal thing to do in such a case: 

Scatter a bunch of M&M's in the cabin and watch where they drift; There's your hole! Then find a bottle that looks not too important, and plug the hole with the cork.   There! I fixed it! Who said rocket science was hard? :D *munch munch* ...do we have any more M&M's? *munch*

i wouldn't doubt that they have some canned smoke on board just for this purpose. 

Only thing I've heard was that they need to sleep in one of the hatch module instead... did say about air pressure getting lower a bit faster than usual but that's it.

I do hope that it's a clear punch hole though. If it turns out to be like the connection sealant, or even worse, corrosion or fatigue... then we'd have to think reeeally fast. Even most buildings on Earth have to be refurbished somewhere halfway through their expected lifetime...

Isn't this the leak they've known for months now, but had more important stuff to do, rather than this depressing issue? I forget where I got this from, but the leak is still within spec for the ISS, but it's above the usual and they just want to figure out what happened.

1 hour ago, s_gamer101 said:

Could you hear a leak of this size? I mean there is air streaming out, doesn‘t this produce a sound?

Yes. It's ringing in ears, right before getting unconscious.

Also, why call it "hole"?

It's the "unannounced extra aperture".

"Has anyone seen my phone charger?" "No but it must be there... somwhere between all those cables"

At least there are no cables that are going through the hatch. When the Progress craft crashed into the Mir, they had trouble sealing the damaged module begause they had to remove all the cables first before they could close tha hatch.

But you're right, this mess won't make it easyer to find a leak.

The executive director of Roscosmos for crewed programs, Sergei Krikalyov, admitted that the leakage may be located on the Russian part of ISS.

He is sad that they made an unhealthy excitement out of this, declaring the Americans guilty in advance. Actually, currently nobody knows, and all airlocks should be closed in any case.

Also, there can be no leakage at all, and the pressure has changed due to the life support system work.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://www.interfax.ru/russia/723015

Edited by kerbiloid

On 8/23/2020 at 5:59 AM, s_gamer101 said:

Could you hear a leak of this size? I mean there is air streaming out, doesn‘t this produce a sound?

We haven't been told what "this size" is. The ISS is a noisy place, what with all the air that is moving around in it all the time.

A leak from full pressure to vacuum would probably have a pretty distinctive acoustic signature. Likely very high frequency, especially if the leak path was narrow. Acoustic leak detectors usually use microphones and look for ultrasonic noise humans can't hear with their own ears.

1 hour ago, tater said:

I got the impression they noticed the leak from data that the air levels (which usually drop slowly over time, so some leaking/loss I guess is normal) were lower than expected by some small amount.

That's correct, the leak levels are constantly monitored and were observed to be leaking air at a slightly higher rate than usual, however because of events like a series of spacewalks which vent some air they did not have a good window to properly observe this phenomenon until now.

46 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

How did they find the previous leak? (If I remember correctly, this isn‘t the first one)

Last time they were probably able to correlate it with the Soyuz when it docked to the Station. (Hole was inside the orbital module of that ship.) That's a much smaller space to look around in, and they found the hole in the wall.

If this leak is more like a faulty seal on one of the docked sections, there wouldn't be an easy hole to spot. And many vehicles have come and left while it's been going on, so it's something on the station. It will take a little more work to find where the problem is.