ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

They need to make those rollable PV arrays into awnings for RVs... I’d buy one! (Assuming the cost is reasonable....)

For *those* rollable PV arrays, the cost is anything but reasonable for a private consumer, I'm afraid.

Rollable PV was a thing a few years ago, using thin-film silicon technology, but I think that entire market segment died when the cost of crystalline silicon dropped off a cliff. It could compete while it delivered one-third of the efficiency for one-third of the price, but then crystalline silicon PV suddenly became a hundred times cheaper, leaving the rollable PV panels both vastly more expensive and vastly less efficient. I'm not sure if the situation ever recovered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I think the installation of the new solar panels is starting today.

Yeah, I was chatting with my friend at MCC this morning he said there was an EVA (that was hours ago, dunno if it is still going).

Are they going to do the astronoming with hand-held binoculars and sharp eyes?

Or why do they need this strange glass?

To not skip something interesting around?

I was sure that a telescope is a turret looking through a narrow slot in an opaque dome.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Are they going to do the astronoming with hand-held binoculars and sharp eyes?

Or why do they need this strange glass?

To not skip something interesting around?

I was sure that a telescope is a turret looking through a narrow slot in an opaque dome.

It's a commercial station - people that go to space like seeing what's outside, and this presumably makes also "feel" more in space.

Granted, personally I would stay as far as i can from that because of the fear of breaking the glass (no matter how unlikely that is to happen), but that's just me

36 minutes ago, Beccab said:

It's a commercial station - people that go to space like seeing what's outside, and this presumably makes also "feel" more in space.

They should call it "sun bath".  It looks like "look like", not "look out".

EVA for solar panels (second try):

Helmet cam/light problem, it's not secured, so they are improvising a solution so they can see to attach some cables that have to be done at night.

• 3 weeks later...