ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

14 minutes ago, tater said:

They have propulsion on Axiom.

Disconnect.

Leave ISS sphere like any Soyuz/Dragon/etc.

Raise apogee desired number of km (100?)

Circularize.

Cool - I did not realize that we can move the big stuff so easily. 

(COM and floppiness comes to mind) 

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Cool - I did not realize that we can move the big stuff so easily. 

(COM and floppiness comes to mind) 

Well, it's designed to fly free, so they must have some plan in mind, and I would expect they would not leave it co-orbital with ISS.

12 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I haven’t seen any progress made by Axiom. All I see know are some fancy renders commissioned by some dude and an artist with big ambitions.

Literally on the last page, posted Wednesday:

Thales Alena (who made the US modules) is already manufacturing the first module for them.

The primary structure passed its Preliminary Design Review and Critical Design Review in conjunction with Axiom Space and NASA. After completion of primary structure component manufacture in Q2 2022, initial integration and testing operations will get underway for delivery of the first habitation module to Houston by early 2023, where Axiom will assemble, outfit, integrate, and prepare the complete spacecraft for launch.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, tater said:

*chile

We New Mexicans are persnickety about that ;)

My inner Arizonan is rolling his eyes.*

Spelling differences aside, we probably agree on what chili /chile should taste like.  You'd be surprised what people get away with on the East side of the Mississip.  It's a travesty. 

Note to the Cincinnati weirdos: that sugary, cinnamon, spaghetti filled goo is NOT right, NOT good and definitely NOT CHILI!

*Actually, I really appreciate you telling me this: I did not know there was a difference in New Mexico!  Check out the Brits, gooning up the spelling again for no good reason. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/usage-chili-chilli-chile

(what can you expect from people who feel the need to pronounce every vowel in any given word) glacier?  "glass-ii-err". SMH.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

We also have chili in NM. Chili is the Texas thing (chili con carne here doesn't get beans in it usually, though). A recipe that calls for chili powder for example is not the same as a recipe that calls for ground red chile. The latter is JUST the ground, dried chile peppers. "Chili powder" actually includes a bunch of other ingredients (oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, etc).

Since they were growing fresh, NM chile peppers (same species as Anaheim, but a different, substantially hotter cultivar), it would always be "chile" here. I know in space they lose taste to a certain degree, and really like spicy stuff. In ISS to actually eat the chiles, they will need to roast them, not sure what they have for an oven up there. Alternately they can let them dry, then grind them and no roasting is needed.

Edited by tater

49 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So how long until they figure out a little solar roaster module? They'd have up to 45 minutes to roast something under direct concentrated sunlight.

"Quick, get dinner in the solar oven! Orbital sunset in 30..."

That's a cool idea. They just need to blister the skin which is really tough, then the skin falls off leaving the part you eat.

Spoiler

This is actually where we get our green chile. Smells so good when roasting.

17 minutes ago, tater said:

cool

That was cool!  I love places like that. 

It's interesting - this little discussion has me realizing that I don't actually know whether my chili is Texas (my mom grew up there) or Arizona - we use several kinds of meat, several types of chiles, and a couple kinds of beans plus tomatoes, corn and etc. I like mine served atop a bowl of rice (but we don't put the rice in the chili). 

Has me wondering: can they even make something like that for the ISS (and how would you clean up???) - or are they limited to something like an MRE pack? 

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

It's interesting - this little discussion has me realizing that I don't actually know whether my chili is Texas (my mom grew up there) or Arizona - we use several kinds of meat, several types of chiles, and a couple kinds of beans plus tomatoes, corn and etc. I like mine served atop a bowl of rice (but we don't put the rice in the chili). 

I should add, I like all the kinds of chili/chile. I don't talk smack about other versions of chile con carne, I just observe there are differences. It's like BBQ, varies regionally... all delicious. I never had the Cleveland variety I have to admit, but I make mole—and there's some cocoa in there.

5 minutes ago, tater said:

mole—and there's some cocoa in there.

The bitterness of a good, spicy mole negra is a treat. 

Cincinnati 'chili' is not. 

I think the problem is that you sit down thinking that you are going to get a familiar blend of flavor like most SW chili....and then it's sweet and reeks of cinnamon - plus there is spaghetti in it. 

Mind you, I love cinnamon rolls, and etc...  But ugh. 

21 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I think the problem is that you sit down thinking that you are going to get a familiar blend of flavor like most SW chili....and then it's sweet and reeks of cinnamon - plus there is spaghetti in it. 

I make picadillo for our Christmas party every year that is ground beef, red chile, cinnamon, cloves, and a few other things, tomatoes, plus currants and slivered almonds. Is spicy Xmas flavors, and super good. Here in NM sometimes it gets used as a tamale filling that time of year. Really delicious.

15 hours ago, tater said:

In ISS to actually eat the chiles, they will need to roast them.

There are other ways to eat chiles, you know.

However, they have a problem in the ISS which is that all the air is recycled. They actually have to be pretty careful about what they expose to the air.

For example, sometimes I make rice with chiles. I'll dice up a couple of fresh serranoes and a habanero and toss them into the rice machine with the rice. (Also usually some carrots, and other stuff too.) Anyway, the steam from the rice cooker can sometimes make my eyes water and my nose run just by walking into the kitchen. This would be bad on the ISS, because I would have more or less just pepper-sprayed everything and everyone on the station.

They also don't use ground spices, because little particles will just float around.

Instead, I have heard they usually use infused liquids. Like they will add salt to something by adding salty water.

I have had chili in Cincinnati, and like most things it can be good or bad.

If I make a tomato sauce it is not at all uncommon for me to add some cinnamon, some chocolate, some fresh chiles, etc. into it. These are complementary tastes, IMO, which is why traditional Mexican dishes often include both cinnamon and chocolate.

It's not really the fault of the people in Cincinnati if you are not expecting their food to taste the way that they like it to taste. (Or at least, that some of them like it to taste. Not everyone there likes it.)

2 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

There are other ways to eat chiles, you know.

NM chiles are generally roasted because the skin is pretty thick/tough compared to a jalepeño peppers, seranos, etc. You could certainly dice them really fine raw (using a knife to pre-chew them in a sense), but it's just not done much here. I eat green chile rather a lot, and in fact I can't recall any dish where they were unroasted if fresh in 30 years—I'm sure someone must. If I was to chop some unroasted chile, and throw it in green chile stew, there's a decent chance I end up with the skin separating anyway, and I'd end up with meat, green chile, and a bunch of little squares of fairly indigestible skin.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tater said:

NASA is still evaluating things from what I hear.

I thought the debris cloud they were moving from came from the Chinese ASAT from 2007. 

A chunk of Chinese satellite almost hit the International Space Station. They dodged it – but the space junk problem is getting worse (theconversation.com)

Was this incorrect - or did they have to move again after a different ASAT debris field endangered the station?