ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

LEO Labs are now speculating effectively that the ASAT interceptor hit the target from behind at greater than orbital velocity, hence the bias of debris into higher apogees rather than lower perigees. This would mean it wasn't a hypervelocity collision, which has implications for the size and distribution of the pieces.

This would be unusual for interceptors, which usually just get in the way of the target. This would mean the ASAT would need to be going at greater than orbital velocity, which seems like a lot of effort to go to for not much benefit to the interceptor. It needs a much larger launcher.

There are plusses and minuses. The pieces are likely to be a lot larger and fewer of them, which means we can track a lot more of them as a percentage. This makes avoidance manoeuvres more feasible.

On the negative, the higher apogees and larger individual masses means the debris is likely to hang around for longer.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:30 PM, RCgothic said:

This would be unusual for interceptors, which usually just get in the way of the target. This would mean the ASAT would need to be going at greater than orbital velocity, which seems like a lot of effort to go to for not much benefit to the interceptor. It needs a much larger launcher.

It feels like they paid dV to make it easier on the seeker. Not unusual: the Soviets fielded co-orbital ASAT long before they began DA-ASAT experiments.

I feel extremely mad about the missile test for 2 main reasons. 
1. they could have almost killed the crew of the iss including cosmonauts THEIR OWN PEOPLE, just to advance their military

2. I am so sick I could puke with space agency’s and military’s using space as their military testing ground. I mean it’s disgusting how they would bring their violence and war to a once peaceful frontier just to advance selfish military objectives and try to get ahead of their competition (The USA, my home country). 
i mean cmon, we have already fought a war in literally every place imaginable, let’s not bring those wars to space

23 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

we have already fought a war in literally every place imaginable, let’s not bring those wars to space

Welcome.

(this next is meant to be snarky / funny)

<Looks around at all the people and history of humanity...>

You must be new here. 

7 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

to a once peaceful frontier

*yawn*

The military got there before everyone else did, and various ASAT tests have been going on since 1964. Space never was peaceful, and as soon as there would be a sufficient motivation to see an ASAT program from start to finish (e.g. ASM-135 was triggered by the Soviet US-A/MKRTs Legenda and the way it could make aircraft carriers vulnerable) it has happened. Raison d'etat, as always, trumps all.

3 hours ago, DDE said:

*yawn*

The military got there before everyone else did, and various ASAT tests have been going on since 1964. Space never was peaceful, and as soon as there would be a sufficient motivation to see an ASAT program from start to finish (e.g. ASM-135 was triggered by the Soviet US-A/MKRTs Legenda and the way it could make aircraft carriers vulnerable) it has happened. Raison d'etat, as always, trumps all.

It’s ok if countries do their military stuff there, but in a way that doesn’t fill the orbit with deadly shrapnel that endangers everything, including people. (e.g. X-37B and Russian inspector satellites didn’t generate nearly as much condemnation). Similarly, nuclear tests were banned because they produced fallout and raised the amount of radioactive isotopes like 14C in the atmosphere. 

12 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

<Looks around at all the people and history of humanity...>

You must be new here. 

trust me I know about the other missile tests, and I was mad at those, but this one is different. It was 100% reckless to test that missile and put the crew of the iss in danger

Edited by SSTO Crasher

26 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

put the crew of the iss in danger

Not in the opinion of the people conducting the test. Therefore at most you're looking at negligence and willful blindness.

5 hours ago, DDE said:

The military got there before everyone else did,

Ok this is technically wrong, the German v2 tests were the first thing to reach space BUT those tests were all failed and they did not intend to reach space on those tests. After that captured v2s were brought to America for testing during operation paper clip, which was funded by the USAF but those rockets were meant to be used for testing for future rockets.

The very first flights of Vostok and Mercury are devoted to space reconnaissance and orbital intercepts (aiming the orbital targets and observing the ground objects).

Vostok was from the same family with photospysats and warhead.
Mercury-Gemini-Apollo were steps to build the lunar outpost (first planned by the pure military Horizon Project, several years before the first space flight.).
Gemini was a part of spy/recon (and partially combat, if implement the Commanche-like rocket consoles from some project) sat MOL.
Vostok/Voskhod, Mercury, Gemini were launched by ICBM (Mercury and Gemini - by the real ICBM), V/V - by the cancelled ICBM.

From Terra with love.

Without arm race there still would be no crewed program.

18 minutes ago, DDE said:

Gagarin had a Makarov

16 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Bears and so on...

8 shells - 8 bears

Russia must have small bears. 

Spoiler

If you ask an Alaskan what pistol to carry in case of Grizzlies, he would say, 'a .22' 

(which might surprise you) 

'why so small?' you might ask. 

The answer? 

'So it won't hurt so much when the bear takes the pistol away from you and shoves it up your keester!' 

28 minutes ago, DDE said:

There's also the question of whether Gagarin had a Makarov under his seat

They have bears with AK’s in the areas where they landed

42 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Vostok was from the same family with photospysats and warhead.
Mercury-Gemini-Apollo were steps to build the lunar outpost (first planned by the pure military Horizon Project, several years before the first space flight.).
Gemini was a part of spy/recon (and partially combat, if implement the Commanche-like rocket consoles from some project) sat MOL.
Vostok/Voskhod, Mercury, Gemini were launched by ICBM (Mercury and Gemini - by the real ICBM), V/V - by the cancelled ICBM.

Vostok was funded by the military but used for peaceful reasons. Mercury-Gemini-Apollo existed for the sole reason of beating the Soviets, both salut 1 and Skylab very well could have been used for military purposes but were not. And the only reason ICBMs were used as the rockets were because those were the only rockets capable of doing so, and before the very first American launch attempt Kennedy ordered a new rocket be built (vanguard) to show that we would not use our weapons of war for space. But that rocket failed so he was forced to use an ICBM 

We need to get back on topic though

8 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

Why arm a mount with rifles?

16 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:
36 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

8 shells - 8 bears

Russia must have small bears. 

The aim is not to kill a bear, but just remind him, who is alpha-predator on the planet.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The classics

Hide contents

But the mount isn't armed. The rider is.

1_swedish-moose-cavalry.jpg

I'm not sure the lance is needed. 

The link claims that they were indeed used, at least until Ivan the Terrible put a stop to in in Siberia.  The early USSR was trying it again, but stopped when the Winter War needed real units.  All I know is that backpackers in the US are told in no uncertain terms to never try to ride a moose (it is possible to get on when the moose is in a river, presumably swimming.  Survival becomes impossible if you are still on when the moose regains its footing).

4 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

I knew a "bear" that carried an M-14 in Vietnam.
(Dave was a Marine and a giant nerd. He would have loved KSP if he hadn't passed on before the release.)

Before we all get sent to moderator-hell, here is the latest ISS news. Spacewalk set for Nov 30:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2021/11/23/spacewalk-preps-during-human-research-robotics-and-physics-today/

9 hours ago, wumpus said:

The early USSR was trying it again, but stopped when the Winter War needed real units.

I distinctly remember an April Fools about that.

max_g480_c12_r4x3_pd10

https://www.popmech.ru/weapon/10162-rogataya-kavaleriya-boevye-losi/

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

We must urgently find out a way to link it to the ISS. Some kind of orbital zoo ISS module.

Maybe a moosewheel.

Looks like the Rusdian centrifuge project is tied to the inflatable module project, so no, definitely not relevant to the ISS.

https://ria.ru/20170120/1486127952.html