ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

Ouch. The station could potentially be boosted from the US side, but the controls to turn the station around in order to do that are in the Russian segment...and so is the life support. I wonder what the cosmonauts currently up there think of all this...

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I saw that the tourists are restricted from the Russian modules... Are the Russians restricted to their own modules - or can they access the whole station? 

Wonder if Axiom crew can go in Zarya, since we paid for it?

14 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I saw that the tourists are restricted from the Russian modules... Are the Russians restricted to their own modules - or can they access the whole station? 

As the news sites tell, nothing has changed onboard.

As we cab see, the sanctions are are formulated on the "except the case when the trade is nevessary" style.

Progress is still manufactured and can be rented.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tater said:

Russian EVA

Is the robotic arm an aircraft? Is it leased ESA property? Does it count as a forcibly reregistered aircraft - or parallel imports?

Ah, so many exciting questions...

World’s first space pirates?

If the ERA legally belongs to ESA (the presence of which is part of the US Orbital Segment), and the USOS is part of the ISS, but the ERA was then taken under Russian control (fully becoming part of the Russian Orbital Segment, sort of a separate spacecraft based on how astronauts have restricted entry in some circumstances) without permission, could that be called piracy?

Also what if Nauka gets moved to the ROSS in the future? I can’t remember if that is still part of the plan or not.

9 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Also what if Nauka gets moved to the ROSS in the future? I can’t remember if that is still part of the plan or not.

As far as it's known, no. ROSS is based on the next-gen modules.

12 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

If the ERA legally belongs to ESA (the presence of which is part of the US Orbital Segment), and the USOS is part of the ISS, but the ERA was then taken under Russian control (fully becoming part of the Russian Orbital Segment, sort of a separate spacecraft based on how astronauts have restricted entry in some circumstances) without permission, could that be called piracy?

It won't cross the border (it physically can't due to another standard of the grappling fixture)m so they can't arrest it.

P.S.
What is Liberia waiting for?

A whole lot of years ago it should register spacecrafts under the Liberian flag.

5 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

World’s first space pirates?

I'm not entirely kidding with the aircraft references - unlike the draft law on external administration of exiting businesses, the current decrees on leased aircraft amount to confiscation. The most recent one introduced some sort of mechanism for payments via neutral countries and local currencies, but otherwise... grabbity-grab.

Edited by DDE

8 hours ago, insert_name said:

to be fair the B-29s were interred during wartime as the USSR was neutral for most of the pacific war, so they were required to hold on to them for a bit

I mean, Boeing parts appeared to be copypastable, in context of the lack of Boeing parts in the previous posts,

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Capturing a picture of a person from 400 km away is impressive enough in its own right.

But when that distance is straight up, and the person moves sideways 7.6 kilometers per second, it's really mind-blowing.

I think straight up is a considerably better direction than horizontal through the atmosphere. The motion is what gets you.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:40 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

So when are they gonna arm wrestle?

I gather the ERA only grapples to the Russian sections and Canadarm2 only to the US sections due to grapple point design.  I wonder what happens if the Russian segment goes away?  I wonder if the ERA can be refurbished with Canadarm2 style grapples?  Or would the US and other nations buy out the Russian segments?  Who knows?

The ERA grappling effector is Buran-derived, and has nothing common to Canadarm.

They probably could develop an adaptor, but it would require various electric converters, and couldn't be used by Canadarm, so it doesn't make sense.