ISS Discussion Thread

NSEP

10 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Alternate version. "Roscosmos presents a possible mockup for future Russian space station"

https://t.me/oper_goblin/16716

On 7/27/2022 at 2:13 AM, Nightside said:

What does Russia need to operate it's section of the ISS, aren't its modules pretty much self contained stations? Does it produce enough power on its own?

It did, way back when. Zarya's arrays are folded. It's possible that all the panels are noticeably degraded, but there's experience with mounting a third panel on a DOS core (e.g. Salyut-7) and Nauka has fresh solar arrays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jesus:

Leak visible NOW

SpaceX Crew-6 is in February.

Next Russian Crew mission is March.

I think we should not send our astronaut home on that vehicle.

Possible solutions:

1. Send Crew-6 with 1 crew, then the 3 Soyuz crew return with that 1 astronaut in August.

2. Send Crew-6 with 3 crew, and the US astronaut (Rubio) stays til August. The Soyuz scheduled for March goes with 1 cosmonaut, and the remaining 2 cosmonauts stay tile  Sept.

In any of those cases the launches could be moved up in time.

Drop CST-100 to 1 crew, take all home on Starliner. Only stays like a week anyway. Unsure how the coolant impacts Soyuz capability on return, as they come home pretty fast anyway. So maybe they want to come back on their own vehicle.

12 hours ago, tater said:

Friend at MSS reminds me CST-100 is April. So maybe they could take people home in Starliner.

That's a test flight, though. It's supposed to be safe enough that there will be people on board, but would they use a test flight for carrying crew home?

My guess (for a lot of reasons) is that they will just cut that Soyuz loose and send up another one autonomously.

• 4 weeks later...

The only issue is what it does to the crew schedule.

Faust reported:

This will leave Andrey Fedyaev alone after Crew-5 departs in April., and the Russian will have to try and move up the September crew (MS-24?) as much as possible