[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

On 8/26/2019 at 6:45 AM, MOPC said:

Updated the config for Airplane Plus mod with latest wing parts, except those which were already added by @Wronk and @theonegalen. If you guys okay with that, I can merge three configs together for ease of use.

Also added simple configs for APP flaps, but not yet sure if they work correctly - would be great if someone tests them.

Link: https://pastebin.com/AdiUwgkB

UPD: found and fixed a bug in the .cfg above, which caused NRE when using Basic Curve Winglet (warhawkwing). Thanks to @qromodynmc. Also merged with two aforementioned configs.

Also tested the stock propellers, and looks like they don't work as I expected - flap/spoilers feature of FAR doesn't work the same way as Deploy for stock-configured rotor blades, sadly.

Reveal hidden contents

@The-Grim-Sleeper, here, I inserted "proper" values for stock rotor blades, following the FAR wiki guide: https://pastebin.com/nnrcyB8L. Not tested that yet, still to open them in career.

Maybe FAR will take over the deployment control if parts have configs, or perhaps we could assign deployment to thrust axis via Action Groups?

How do you use this config file? Where does it go?

3 hours ago, MOPC said:

Create a .cfg text file anywhere in GameData folder and add needed configs to it. As simple as that

Hey thanks for this!

I ended up figuring it out, forgot to post here about it. I do have a follow up question though, I noticed that some winglets and things still do not have the FAR stats. For those can I just find the programmatic name for it and do a similar thing you have done? What is the best way to find the programmatic name?

Sorta off topic but related, I also used Deadly reentry and noticed the heat temps do not match between what is in the description of the Airplane Plus parts and what it actually is in the game, is there any way to update/change this using a config file as well?

Does anyone have a configuration for the Delta-Advanced Winglet (aka migfin) from the Airplane Plus mod? I am not sure what all the settings mean so not sure how to translate the default game settings to "FAR" settings.

How do I translate this

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleControlSurface
  useInternalDragModel = True
  dragCoeff = 0.65
  deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.7
  ctrlSurfaceRange = 25
  ctrlSurfaceArea = 0.2
  actuatorSpeed = 25
}

Into this

!MODULE[ModuleControlSurface] {}
MODULE
{
	name = FARControllableSurface
	MAC = 0.98
	MidChordSweep = 11.14
	maxdeflect = 20
	b_2 = 1.36
	TaperRatio = 0.661
	ctrlSurfFrac = 0.45
    transformName = obj_ctrlSrf
}

I am not sure what all these settings mean, the biggest issue is what is the transformName and how do i find it? looking at the other configurations I do not see any consistency of how the transformName is derived.

Thanks,

Bob

On 9/10/2019 at 8:26 PM, bobisback said:

what is the transformName

It's the name of controlling surface part of the model, you can look for it in Blender. They seem to be pretty random, named as author wants :shrug:

On 9/10/2019 at 8:26 PM, bobisback said:

I am not sure what all these settings mean

https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/wiki/Deriving-FAR-values-for-a-wing-using-Blender-2.7

Hi I've been updating my game from 1.4.5 to 1.7.3 but been getting distracted by the robotics in the mean time.

Anyway was putting together a SSTO in the 145 save when i loaded it in 173 and seem to be getting NaNs on some of the readouts.

https://imgur.com/a/djufkMP

And the same craft in 145

https://imgur.com/a/gbbun7V

Needs a little bit of work but was just while i was playing around with it i noticed the NaNs.

Log

Not took it for a flight yet so not sure if it affects it in flight or not. Won't be able to test until later tonight.

Thanks

Edit: Testing a little more seems to be showing i get nullrefs like when stuff explodes.

[LOG 13:30:32.757] 1 explosions created.
[EXC 13:30:32.788] NullReferenceException
    FerramAerospaceResearch.FARGUI.FARFlightGUI.PhysicsCalcs.CalculateTotalAeroForce ()
    FerramAerospaceResearch.FARGUI.FARFlightGUI.PhysicsCalcs.UpdatePhysicsParameters ()
    FerramAerospaceResearch.FARGUI.FARFlightGUI.FlightGUI.FixedUpdate ()

I'm not sure if they are related to the NaNs I seem to be getting. Can provide a log for that as well if you want.

Edit2: Removing scatterer stopped the nullrefs on stuff exploding? I have no idea whats going on :confused:

Edited by Ocid

@dkavolis I downgraded the version of FAR i was using from v0.15.11.1 to v0.15.10.1 and the NaNs issues seem to have gone. Sorry I have no idea what is causing it.

If you need me to try anything or provide anything to help track it down just ask but for now I'll just stick with the downgraded version. 

Thanks

I just realized FAR comes with RealChuteLite/RealChuteFAR - what is it, and how is it different from RealChute? I only noticed because chutes are clipping into each other. So I was looking for the "spread angle" slider and couldn't find it. Instead, I found the RealChute info window, which gives me some info, but doesn't let me configure anything :( 

Difference from RealChute is that "Lite" version use only stock parachute models. One of drawback of using those is, like you already noticed, spread angle/animation not working properly.
I can only advice you to use full RealChute mod and to use RealChute parts to avoid cliping bug. Don't know of any other possible workaround on this and I doubt that @dkavolis have any time or desire to solve this issue. That bug was around for a very long time, even when ferram was actively working on this mod.

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I just realized FAR comes with RealChuteLite/RealChuteFAR - what is it, and how is it different from RealChute? I only noticed because chutes are clipping into each other. So I was looking for the "spread angle" slider and couldn't find it. Instead, I found the RealChute info window, which gives me some info, but doesn't let me configure anything :( 

FAR comes with bare minimum of RealChute for aerodynamics purposes only, if you want more I suggest installing the full RealChute mod. FAR is aerodynamics mods after all. Or you can go on https://github.com/StupidChris/RealChute        and try and port the relevant bits of code to FAR.

I've been busy lately but will try and find the time to fix up things before 1.8 release.

15 hours ago, jaunco325 said:

old elevator configuration system?

Care to elaborate more about it ? What you mean by term "old elevator configuration system" ? Maybe some screenshot along with short description could explain it a bit better. I play KSP with FAR since version of 0.23 or 0.25, don't recall exact version number, but I don't get it what you mean by old or new elevator configuration system.

That is hardly likely. FAR adds it's own features on each control surface, reverting back would mean that you need to remove large part of FAR code. It is not too difficult to adjust settings for proper controls. Click "Std.Ctrl" button to expand settings. You will got 3 new sliders to adjust percentage of Yaw/Roll/Pitch. For elevator you want to set Yaw and Roll to zero and for pitch to 100%. You can adjust max movement angle too.

With all additional features that FAR provide you have much more control of elevator behaviour. It is much easier to fine tune craft for personal liking than with stock game settings. All of those are made like it is for a very good reason. I'm runing out of time right now, but I will try to create some pictures for better info how to adjust control surfaces with FAR.

I'm afraid that it is not possible to properly change physic behaviour without changing some of part pieces. It is necessary to remove stock surface control modules from parts so that those part can behave properly with new FAR physics. Instead of stock part module, FAR inserts it's own module config for wings and control surfaces (IIRC only those parts require special configs). And along with that comes new UI in SPH/VAB that provide new functions for those parts, it was implemented long time ago when stock UI was even more limited.

I doubt that there is meaningful way to have stock UI module for wings and control surfaces and FAR physics at same time, but original author of mod or current maintainer may be able to tell more about it. And if there is a way to change it, it will make a lot of existing FAR users unhapy as it will break a lot of their crafts that is currently used.

If you got any issues with current FAR UI interface, feel free to ask, there is a lot of people who will be able to help you, but for that and craft design issues is more apropriate FAR Craft Repository thread (link in my signature and in OP).

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, dxinger said:

Eagerly awaiting an update for 1.8 :D

And the author will get to it when it's possible and/or convenient. Be Patient.

Besides, badgering the Mod authors is against the rules. Best to review them when you get a spare moment.

if it's actually not working in 1.8 (sometimes mods say they are incompatible but work anyway)... recompiling it with the free visual studio against 1.8's DLLs *may* fix it.  works for some mods, sometimes, but you kinda have to know a few things about visual studio to get it going.. although not THAT much.

is it likely that *code* changes will be needed?  I'm going to try a recompile with visual studio using the 4.0 framework and the new KSP 1.8 libraries and see what I get... the existing version doesn't keep 1.8 from starting or displaying the FAR(c) button, but it's non-functional.. will let you know if I can get this working, although i'm expecting there to be some code incompatibilities tbh.