[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

I'm not sure if this is a bug with FAR or with the way the game is interpreting and/or displaying things, but I cannot get my center of lift to move above the center of mass. In order to even get it to barely peak above that center line, the wings have to be so unrealistically angled and it is very much barely over the center line. Seems like the display is correct, the aircraft perform as expected with lower than or even to center of mass and slightly behind, slow and ponderous.

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to temporarily disable FAR while in-flight? 
Specifically, I am playing a mission "Trouble in the Void" from the KSP expansion.  The pre-built vessels were not designed with FAR in mind, so the vessels wind up accelerating during reentry despite the parts intended to drag.  Removing the mod completely works, but I'd rather a way to do missions without removing mods and restarting. 

13 hours ago, AnFa said:

Can anyone please explain to me or point me to a good explanation about what are the stability derivatives?

For static stability, the exact figures don't matter all that much. All you really need to know is that green is good, red is bad. Mw in the red means you've got a flip-prone plane; move the CL aft and/or the Cm foreward. The other one I usually see in red is...N? (it's been a minute; I don't remember exactly which one it is off the top of my head), which means your plane will have a tendency to wobble and/or spin out easily. That's typically fixed with more vertical stabilizer.

The dynamic stability graphs are similar in that it's the shape of the graph that matters. An oscillation that damps down amplitude over time (i.e. the sine wave gets smaller left to right) means stability. One that stays the same is neutrally stable. One that ramps up or goes completely off the rails from the get-go is unstable.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:27 AM, capi3101 said:

For static stability, the exact figures don't matter all that much. All you really need to know is that green is good, red is bad. Mw in the red means you've got a flip-prone plane; move the CL aft and/or the Cm foreward. The other one I usually see in red is...N? (it's been a minute; I don't remember exactly which one it is off the top of my head), which means your plane will have a tendency to wobble and/or spin out easily. That's typically fixed with more vertical stabilizer.

The dynamic stability graphs are similar in that it's the shape of the graph that matters. An oscillation that damps down amplitude over time (i.e. the sine wave gets smaller left to right) means stability. One that stays the same is neutrally stable. One that ramps up or goes completely off the rails from the get-go is unstable.

I see. What about the curves (cross-sectional area, curvature cross-sectional area, and avg pressure coefficient)? Like, what's better? First or the second, and why?

3lUgKU1.png s9a9A5C.png

Edited by AnFa

12 hours ago, AnFa said:

I see. What about the curves (cross-sectional area, curvature cross-sectional area, and avg pressure coefficient)? Like, what's better? First or the second, and why?

Ideally, the yellow line is as flat as you can make it and there are no sharp changes in the green line; a craft with those features is well "area-ruled". The cyan line is going to indicate what parts of your craft are generating the most drag. Typically that'll show one towards the front of the wings and the front of the tail.

On the craft shown, try widening the fuselage as you approach the wing front and sweep the main wings back (if you can do either/both depending on what other mods you're using), and see what that does to the curves. It should smooth out the green line and reduce the magnitude of the cyan one. Save your current iteration of the craft first if it's working for you as is, of course. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Seasails_ said:

After installing far, I noticed that an option in the context menu of radially-mounted parachutes while in the VAB/SPH to set their spread angle has disappeared, how can I fix it?

FAR has a lite version of RealChutes installed. Install the full mod to get the options back. Get the mod here:

On 10/18/2023 at 12:54 AM, AnFa said:

FAR has a lite version of RealChutes installed. Install the full mod to get the options back. Get the mod here:

I have installed this mod, but the parachutes still overlap with each other, and I cannot find the option set their spread angle in the mod menu. 02d20865a0127a43.png4814b3b08a86c17b.png

42 minutes ago, Seasails_ said:

I have installed this mod, but the parachutes still overlap with each other, and I cannot find the option set their spread angle in the mod menu. 02d20865a0127a43.png4814b3b08a86c17b.png

For issues with that, you need to ask in the thread of the mod, but there is a good guide there, so take a loot at it

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 2:13 PM, Right... said:

Soo, when I install FAR through CKAN I can't access the VAB or SPH...

Game breaking issues with FAR installed using CKAN. Log provided. potential toolbar issue?

Hello there,

I have the same issue as detailed in multiple previous posts, which have sadly gone unanswered. Is this a 1.12 issue? What happened? How to proceed?

I tried multiple clean installs, FAR consistently breaks after just a few mods are installed.

When trying to open FAR debug menu the text is overlapping in a single line, the box is purely gray and the name of the mod is out of place.

It seems to me that this is a toolbar issue, but I'll gladly get corrected on this one.

I can't enter different scenes from the main menu, like SPH/VAB or exit the game, forcing me to ALT-F4.

More over, it worked the last time I tried to use it ~a year ago. 

Log file:

https://mega.nz/file/j6Y2WRrT#yjLa93ToXqbOgmUfTiG6IJ-uhbqqg-H8YKGHbV-xOTI

Edited by Cerious
typo

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FAR's Github is not in a great state right now, there's half implemented features that refuse to turn off, broken water and an ever decreasing stability with each new version of KSP. I fear for the worst. Someone must reach out and attempt to maintain FAR. there's simply nothing else like it.

On 1/27/2024 at 9:37 AM, Derpistheword said:

FAR's Github is not in a great state right now, there's half implemented features that refuse to turn off, broken water and an ever decreasing stability with each new version of KSP. I fear for the worst. Someone must reach out and attempt to maintain FAR. there's simply nothing else like it.

I agree.  I'd offer but I'm tied up with Kopernicus, and probably lack the appropriate aerodynamic knowledge anyways.

We really need somebody though.

Edited by R-T-B

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, French Countryball said:

when i use this w/ RP1, i cant use the hangar or the VAB. When i dont use FAR with RP1, i cant get programs to get contracts. Is this something on my part? If so how do i fix it?

Your install is brokem. Please follow this guide for installing RP-1: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-1/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Express-Installation-for-1.12.3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 5:13 AM, Right... said:

Soo, when I install FAR through CKAN I can't access the VAB or SPH...

I am also encountering this issue, but I installed from the Github instead of CKAN. If anyone has found a fix to this issue, please share!

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way to disable FAR for water? I find that my ships that otherwise worked fine have suddenly started doing Tokyo drifts in the water. If anyone knows a way to disable FAR for the water, please do tell!

Every modification of the vehicle within SPH or VAB seems to cause FAR to perform aerodynamic calculations, which can lead to noticeable lag in vehicles with more parts or larger body sizes. Specifically, each placement, modification position, or even right clicking on a part will cause a few seconds of lag, which would not occur in the original environment. Can the active aerodynamic calculation of FAR be turned off or its frequency reduced