[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

On 3/22/2021 at 5:58 AM, YaBoyShredderson said:

Also, anyone able to explain what the AoA% and BrakeRudder% tweakables do? Also, when would i want to use them, difference between possitive and negative, as well as when i might want to set a negative value for the pitch, yaw and roll? Thanks.

The AoA% adjusts the control surface in question when your plane is pulling any angle of attack. This is useful for canard setups for high performance crafts that need to turn and do so at high angles of attack, like fighter jets. An example of what should happen is you pitch up, and the canards pitch down a little so they don't stall and therefore keep making a lift force that pulls the nose up. You'll probably have to adjust it so that it doesn't deflect too much or too little, and you don't want to have it respond to a negative angle of attack most of the time. 

Although I haven't used BrakeRudder% yet, I assume it turns the rudder surfaces of your plane into airbrakes by deflecting them when you use the breaks action group. This is useful for twin-tail configurations, where the rudders both deflect inwards to be used as airbrakes, or outwards depending on if you use positive or negative values.

The only time I've ever had to use negative pitch, roll, and yaw values was for the control surfaces while landing a reusable rocket booster, as landing backwards requires the controls to be reversed. This had to be changed mid-flight, of course.

5 hours ago, TheWanderer05 said:

The AoA% adjusts the control surface in question when your plane is pulling any angle of attack. This is useful for canard setups for high performance crafts that need to turn and do so at high angles of attack, like fighter jets. An example of what should happen is you pitch up, and the canards pitch down a little so they don't stall and therefore keep making a lift force that pulls the nose up. You'll probably have to adjust it so that it doesn't deflect too much or too little, and you don't want to have it respond to a negative angle of attack most of the time. 

Although I haven't used BrakeRudder% yet, I assume it turns the rudder surfaces of your plane into airbrakes by deflecting them when you use the breaks action group. This is useful for twin-tail configurations, where the rudders both deflect inwards to be used as airbrakes, or outwards depending on if you use positive or negative values.

The only time I've ever had to use negative pitch, roll, and yaw values was for the control surfaces while landing a reusable rocket booster, as landing backwards requires the controls to be reversed. This had to be changed mid-flight, of course.

Ok, i understand what the AoA% is doing now, but dont understand exactly what the numbers mean. Like, if i have the control surface deflection set to 20⁰, and pitch is at 100%, roll at 50%, it will deflect the full 20⁰ when pitching, and only 10⁰ when rolling. If i have that same 20⁰ deflection, what will the Ao% do? If i have it set to -50 will that mean it will always be 10⁰ negative angle of attack? What about numbers exceeding positive or negative 100? 

On 3/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, Beetlecat said:

I'm currently chasing down this issue as well. 

It doesn't seem to be down to particular parts not having configs. I have a separate (similar) install set up for testing that doesn't have this problem (yet?) and it has FAR as well as the exact parts available as the KSP install experiencing errors.

A craft that previously loads/flies fine will throw a bunch of "[FlowGraph]: Graph already contains item!" errors (it seems like 2x per part on the craft) when loaded in the "bad" game. The non-stop FAR-related NRE's begin at launch as well. I wonder if there's somehow a meta-duplication of parts going on that's overwhelming FAR?

Scrapyard is a possibility, but I have that installed in both places, so no initial ideas there. I'll keep digging :)

[edit] Okay, now it's more confusing. While doing some troubleshooting for another issue, I noticed this same NRE spam after launching a stock Gull craft from the KSC view. Launching a stock Aeris3A --- NO nre spam. What the actual heck? This is on a minimal game, with no ReStock or other part replacements.

Maybe there *is* a stock part that's now misconfigured.  Slowly stripping parts off of a Gull to figure out which one(s)... heh.

glad it's not just me

11 hours ago, Compu said:

glad it's not just me

As with many/most errors, I'm sure it was a bad combination of things loaded that was causing the issue. There were also engines from an older mod that was causing issues every time I would try to launch with them. I wonder if using fairly outdated .craft files could be referencing depreciated versions of parts and causing FAR to yell. 

On 3/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, Beetlecat said:

As with many/most errors, I'm sure it was a bad combination of things loaded that was causing the issue. There were also engines from an older mod that was causing issues every time I would try to launch with them. I wonder if using fairly outdated .craft files could be referencing depreciated versions of parts and causing FAR to yell. 

no it happened when i tried to make a new craft from scratch too

On 3/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, Beetlecat said:

could it have anything to do with the procedural wings mod? that's the mod that installed farc as a dependency

Hi all been away for a long time.
I am currently looking at what version of KSP to use so far I am swaying towards 1.10 as most of the mods I like to run are for that version.
Am I right in thinking that FAR still is not fully working in 1.11x versions yet?.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by stk2008

This may sound silly but i have tested two versions of FAR now latest one and the version made for 1.10 and in both cases I get this odd thing happen..
Basically when flying a plane and I turn the trajectory line never makes sense as in I am flying in one direction but the line is 90 degrees out

b72GDDU.png

I am sure in vanilla the blue line always follows the path of the plane.

thanks in advance

OK I am loosing my mind now spent days trying to make mods play nice but I get this message spamming me now :(

FAR Voxel error:cross section is Nan.

WahsrkI.pngPlease

Please could any one help I am trying to get a mod pack up and going for me and my bro but keep running into issues every time I think I have got it I go to play the game and another error pops up DOH..

Thanks so much in advance.

EDIT

OK I "THINK" I know what it was.It may have been a mod called FUELWINGS (if it was not that as I am still testing then to the OP of that mod I am sorry).

Any way I removed that mod and it seems to be ok now but shall test more.

Thanks all.

Edited by stk2008

16 hours ago, stk2008 said:

OK I am loosing my mind now spent days trying to make mods play nice but I get this message spamming me now :(

FAR Voxel error:cross section is Nan.

WahsrkI.pngPlease

Please could any one help I am trying to get a mod pack up and going for me and my bro but keep running into issues every time I think I have got it I go to play the game and another error pops up DOH..

Thanks so much in advance.

EDIT

OK I "THINK" I know what it was.It may have been a mod called FUELWINGS (if it was not that as I am still testing then to the OP of that mod I am sorry).

Any way I removed that mod and it seems to be ok now but shall test more.

Thanks all.

Based on provided picture, culprit part is MK3S1 Tail Connector B.  AFAIK, FAR use part 3D mesh and/or mesh colliders for voxel calculations. There was some changes in code when FAR use mesh and when it use coliider, as much as I can recall, but I no longer know details about it. For some reason, most probably because the how culprit part is created in blender or similar editor, FAR voxel algorithm fail and throw exception.

22 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Based on provided picture, culprit part is MK3S1 Tail Connector B.  AFAIK, FAR use part 3D mesh and/or mesh colliders for voxel calculations. There was some changes in code when FAR use mesh and when it use coliider, as much as I can recall, but I no longer know details about it. For some reason, most probably because the how culprit part is created in blender or similar editor, FAR voxel algorithm fail and throw exception.

Thank you.
Wish I knew how to fix some of these errors me self.

I am currently trying to get a mod pack together for me and my bro and have a few red errors pop up but TBH I have no idea what they mean I just track the mod down by process of elimination then either remove it or try a different version of that mod...as said wish I could instead fix it but I have no idea about this stuff :).

Thanks for helping though.

Edited by stk2008

On 4/3/2021 at 7:35 AM, ddbb07 said:

KSP-AVC says that the newest version is 1.16.0.2 while the newest version i can find is 1.16.0.1, have you just not had time to update the thread and the mirrors?

There are some yet-finalized commits to the code that are being tagged as 0.2, but they're not ready to download. They're somewhat recent, so maybe a new release is imminent.

1 hour ago, Chukedog said:

Is there any known way to get the results of the static analysis into a separate file or do you need to manually do that? I'm trying to add drag and drag coefficients to some equations.

Not at the moment, as I'm aware of, but there is plan for it: https://github.com/dkavolis/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/issues/55

I'm getting some exceptions in my log file.

[EXC 22:26:21.496] ArgumentException: Requested value 'unneeded' was not found.
	System.Enum+EnumResult.SetFailure (System.Enum+ParseFailureKind failure, System.String failureMessageID, System.Object failureMessageFormatArgument) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	System.Enum.TryParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String value, System.Boolean ignoreCase, System.Enum+EnumResult& parseResult) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, System.Boolean ignoreCase) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Serialization.TryParseEnum (System.String str, System.Type type, System.Enum& value) (at <45fd449fcf964b8bb82fdc5e8afc0628>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.FARLogHandler:LogException(Exception, String, Object)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Serialization:TryParseEnum(String, Type, Enum&)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Serialization:TryGetValue(String, Object&, Type)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Serialization:TryGetValue(ConfigNode, String, Object&, Type)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.LoadVisitor:OnValue(ValueReflection, Object&)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Reflection.NodeLoader:VisitValue(Object, ValueReflection)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Reflection.NodeReflection:Apply(Object&, NodeVisitor)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Reflection.NodeReflection:Load(INodeLoader, Object&)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.LoadVisitor:OnNode(Object, NodeReflection, Object&)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Reflection.NodeLoader:VisitNode(Object, NodeReflection)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Reflection.NodeReflection:Load(INodeLoader, Int32&)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.LoadVisitor:OnNodeList(ListValueReflection, NodeReflection, IList&)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.Reflection.NodeLoader:VisitNodeList(Object, ListValueReflection, NodeReflection)
	FerramAerospaceResearch.ConfigAdapter:LoadConfigs()
	System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback:PerformWaitCallback()
[EXC 22:26:21.496] [FAR v0.16.0.1]: While parsing enum

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v24tlvs3p6jvuqo/KSP.log?dl=0

On 1/4/2021 at 10:18 PM, SpaceFoon said:

Found another problem with using FAR with 1.11. Its really weird you like hit the water 30 meters before you hit the water. It makes splashing noises and splashing FX on your wings or whatever but its not as dense as the actual water and it prevents you from pulling up due to drag but you can't hit the actual water either. Just kinda stuck bouncing. If you hit the weird barrier hard enough you can go though the water though but if I live I just bounce back up.

I'm having this issue too. Hitting an invisible barrier just before the water and then exploding into the sky.

KSP.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdyjscxw4dpjep6/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by John007qwe

Hi again this is an odd one

So if I am in cockpit view and this pops up  (arrowed in picture)

jRNwDqp.jpg

The games FPS drops to about 10 fps (normally runs at 60) but to fix this I can press c to go to external view then FPS is perfect again.

Now the odd thing is if I dont use cockpit view and that message pops up I never get an FPS drop it only ever does this in cockpit views how odd is that?.

I have also attached log file found in C:\Kerbal Space Program and also the playerlog from C:\Users\STK\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dkohOiLfvXLogb6rK2HfQ--Ajy8uzS8N/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance

EDIT

Ok just so I could be very sure I removed just FAR from my gamedata folder I even left in ModularFlightIntegratormodular and not one slow down.

FAR seems to be doing some thing when asteroids spawn and only if you are in cockpit view.... I have no idea whats up :(

this is after removing only FAR folder and I have no issues with FPS drop in cockpit.
wlrn457.jpeg

Edited by stk2008

14 hours ago, stk2008 said:

The games FPS drops to about 10 fps (normally runs at 60) but to fix this I can press c to go to external view then FPS is perfect again.

Now the odd thing is if I dont use cockpit view and that message pops up I never get an FPS drop it only ever does this in cockpit views how odd is that?.

Same issue for me.

Whenever FAR recalculates voxels in the editor (so, whenever I mouse over a part in the parts pane with any volume, or whenever I add a part to the craft), I get a KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary error, which makes the editor stutter for almost a whole second, every time. This is hard to bear. Unfortunately, I'm a little out of energy to debug stuff, because I've been debugging an unrelated bug in another mod, but in any case, here's a sample log (the error can be found at the very end, repeated a hundred or more times). I can provide more details if needed.

edit: It only seems to happen if "Allow higher-res subvoxels" is active, thankfully. I've unchecked it and I'm much, much happier now.

Edited by mszegedy

Hi thanks for replying.
Nope no log spam that I see just that one message about
Far Vessel aero on Ast then it just lags till I press m for map view or press c to go external.
As said if I stay in external view and that message pops up its fine no issues what so ever its only in cockpit view.

Thank you

@mszegedy I think that particular exception you're seeing is probably related to this file on line 164. There is a naked usage of a dictionary key without making sure that the key actually exists in partWorldToLocalMatrixDict. It would be better to make sure that the key exists first - an example of that is even further above in the code on lines 148-150.

13 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

@mszegedy I think that particular exception you're seeing is probably related to this file on line 164. There is a naked usage of a dictionary key without making sure that the key actually exists in partWorldToLocalMatrixDict. It would be better to make sure that the key exists first - an example of that is even further above in the code on lines 148-150.

Yeah, it turns out I didn't fix it after all. The good news is that I have narrowed down the steps to reproduce:

1. Enter the VAB.
  2. Load a vessel, or create a root part. (This step is unnecessary if the editor has already automatically loaded a vessel.)
  3. Pick up a part from the parts pane.
  4. Drop it somewhere other than on your vessel (so that it turns red and translucent).

FAR will say in the log that the part has a mesh size of 0, and start spitting out these errors.

@dkavolis, sorry for the ping, but I believe me and Grimmas have put together a complete bug report here. I think you have all the resources necessary now to fix the problem. Grimmas, since you have a fork of it, do you wanna just patch it yourself and submit it as a pull request? I'm an outsider here and I can't tell what your level of involvement is on the project (for all I know, you're the primary maintainer), but that's what I'd do in your position if I were a random user who actually understood the codebase.

Edited by mszegedy