[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

8 hours ago, TheRealMK245 said:

Is a 1.11 version coming? 

I'd think probably yes?  the mod was just forked into a 'continued' or whatnot, not that long ago, so I'm pretty sure it's in active development.  In the meantime, it's MOSTLY working fine as-is in 1.11 except none of the in-editor tools are functional. (for me anyway).  But I'm still using the existing version with 1.11 and I'm not mad :)

15 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I'd think probably yes?  the mod was just forked into a 'continued' or whatnot, not that long ago, so I'm pretty sure it's in active development.  In the meantime, it's MOSTLY working fine as-is in 1.11 except none of the in-editor tools are functional. (for me anyway).  But I'm still using the existing version with 1.11 and I'm not mad :)

ngl that was pretty dumb question that i made, i hadn't tried FARc in 1.11 before asking that. I haven't had any problems that i know of. 

On 1/4/2021 at 4:18 PM, SpaceFoon said:

Oh yea for sure, I'm just glad it works at all with being 2 version behind. I used radiators inside a payload bay to get around this.

Edit: Found another problem with using FAR with 1.11. Its really weird you like hit the water 30 meters before you hit the water. It makes splashing noises and splashing FX on your wings or whatever but its not as dense as the actual water and it prevents you from pulling up due to drag but you can't hit the actual water either. Just kinda stuck bouncing. If you hit the weird barrier hard enough you can go though the water though but if I live I just bounce back up.

DITTO!

Same issue and the uncontrolled bouncing when stopped on the water!

On 1/17/2021 at 7:11 AM, Kilo60 said:
On 1/4/2021 at 9:18 PM, SpaceFoon said:

Oh yea for sure, I'm just glad it works at all with being 2 version behind. I used radiators inside a payload bay to get around this.

Edit: Found another problem with using FAR with 1.11. Its really weird you like hit the water 30 meters before you hit the water. It makes splashing noises and splashing FX on your wings or whatever but its not as dense as the actual water and it prevents you from pulling up due to drag but you can't hit the actual water either. Just kinda stuck bouncing. If you hit the weird barrier hard enough you can go though the water though but if I live I just bounce back up.

DITTO!

Same issue and the uncontrolled bouncing when stopped on the water!

Most of my activity in KSP doesn't involve water.  If I decide to use this mod in 1.11, is there anything else I should know before using it?

6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Most of my activity in KSP doesn't involve water.  If I decide to use this mod in 1.11, is there anything else I should know before using it?

the editor tools that show stall behavior/etc, flat out do not work; however the actual flight physics and in-flight instrumentation, that all works.  I've been using it with 1.11 for a while and it is functional.  I wouldn't play KSP without it.

21 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

FAR doesn't account for parts being in construction mode yet, so you get a nullref when you've detached a part and FAR tries to interpret it. When you reattach or drop the part FAR can process it again and the nullref stops. So with FAR installed construction mode will lag while you're holding a part.

Hi, i am facing an issue with body lift and have opened an issue on github for the same. in stock body lift is perpendicular to craft but in far, it is shifted few degrees to the right. so, the craft cannot go in a straight line without rolling in the opposite direction. Can some one pls tell me how to disable body lift for certain parts.

KerbalSpaceProgram25.png

I have been referred here from another mod page about a problem I'm having with parachutes in my game.

The parachutes are mounted on the spacecraft, but they aren't listed in the staging tabs, and can't be manually right clicked on either.

https://imgur.com/NsyGhoq

https://imgur.com/3jqfA6q

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sr6ffr3mdt8035e/Player.log?dl=0

Getting terrible performance when i try to fly/drive vehicles in 1.11, according to the logs this mod seems to be the issue? It only happens while flying/driving, performance is fine in the VAB for example.

Here's my game log https://gist.github.com/ask-compu/9bbcb11093c9d2ec3e8625e5cbbc08ab

Specifically the relevant part is:

[EXC 04:57:06.959] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARVesselAero.FixedUpdate () (at <73d02b39504e470182c17ce6d34acca8>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Which just seems to happen on a nonstop loop whenever in flight/driving mode.

Am I doing something wrong?

Here's one of the craft I was loading up https://kerbalx.com/askcompu/TRB-40LB

Edited by Compu
added craft link

On 2/7/2021 at 2:13 AM, Compu said:

Getting terrible performance when i try to fly/drive vehicles in 1.11, according to the logs this mod seems to be the issue? It only happens while flying/driving, performance is fine in the VAB for example.

Here's my game log https://gist.github.com/ask-compu/9bbcb11093c9d2ec3e8625e5cbbc08ab

[EXC 04:57:06.959] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARVesselAero.FixedUpdate () (at <73d02b39504e470182c17ce6d34acca8>:0)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

I'm not having this problem; Are there any parts in common amongst your vessels?  Perhaps there's a FAR incompatibility with one or more of them, if you tell me what parts you're using I can compare it against my list and see if we can find the culprit?

I have noticed that OPT wings, and maybe other OPT parts, seem to be fully broken with FAR at this time; in fact trying to spawn such a craft shoots it through the ground and it immediately explodes, sometimes with the debris ending up several kilometers beneath Kerbin's surface, but I don't think that's a FAR issue (yet).. you're just getting bad framerates, correct?

On 2/13/2021 at 4:23 PM, ss8913 said:

I'm not having this problem; Are there any parts in common amongst your vessels?  Perhaps there's a FAR incompatibility with one or more of them, if you tell me what parts you're using I can compare it against my list and see if we can find the culprit?

I have noticed that OPT wings, and maybe other OPT parts, seem to be fully broken with FAR at this time; in fact trying to spawn such a craft shoots it through the ground and it immediately explodes, sometimes with the debris ending up several kilometers beneath Kerbin's surface, but I don't think that's a FAR issue (yet).. you're just getting bad framerates, correct?

looks like according to the OPT folks, this is a known issue with a few specific OPT parts only.

6 hours ago, Ollz said:

I’m not much of a KSP plane pilot myself, but would you recommend FAR for the Average rocket builder who sometimes makes spaceplanes, or do you believe it’s only useful for full time KSP pilots?

FAR offers some challenges in rocket designs too, if you seek for it. It is not only for planes. You may need to reconsider how you build rockets and even more important, how to steer it trough atmosphere (you should avoid deviating from prograde more than 5 degree when steering). There is also need for different re-entry strategy.

All in all, I would not claim that it is harder or easier to create crafts with FAR. But it is different than to build it with stock physics.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:23 PM, ss8913 said:

it shows the parts list in that kerbalx page

So, I tried changing 'beta' on steam back to 1.10.1 and the graphs still don't work, is that supposed to happen too?
Also, is there some discord for this mod? Would be much much more convienient, craft sharing thread also died on forums sooo it does seem like a good move

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 7:13 AM, ss8913 said:

I've been using it with 1.11 for a while and it is functional.  I wouldn't play KSP without it.

I would be grateful to know whether or not you also use Principia with FARc In KSP 1.11.1.  Thanks!

I have found that I can create a fatal crash for Principia with FARc version for 1.10.x =  0.16.0.1 "Mader" under some circumstances...specifically dropping boosters apparently near the KSC shoreline (so at the moment I speculate it may be related to whatever is driving the 'water' issue some reported in some of the posts above experiencing with FARc in 1.11)

Um... interesting voxelization here

KIWZ3r0.png

This is Roverdude's Alcubierre Drive, 2.5 m version. The debug voxels extend out to the warp bubble of this part. The other warp drive parts do the same thing extending out to their warp bubbles. The end result is as aerodynamic as a giant beach ball.

Is it possible to override the drag for specific parts? This is already done with wing parts, or maybe there's a patch set for these parts out there already.

On 2/7/2021 at 2:13 AM, Compu said:

I'm currently chasing down this issue as well. 

It doesn't seem to be down to particular parts not having configs. I have a separate (similar) install set up for testing that doesn't have this problem (yet?) and it has FAR as well as the exact parts available as the KSP install experiencing errors.

A craft that previously loads/flies fine will throw a bunch of "[FlowGraph]: Graph already contains item!" errors (it seems like 2x per part on the craft) when loaded in the "bad" game. The non-stop FAR-related NRE's begin at launch as well. I wonder if there's somehow a meta-duplication of parts going on that's overwhelming FAR?

Scrapyard is a possibility, but I have that installed in both places, so no initial ideas there. I'll keep digging :)

[edit] Okay, now it's more confusing. While doing some troubleshooting for another issue, I noticed this same NRE spam after launching a stock Gull craft from the KSC view. Launching a stock Aeris3A --- NO nre spam. What the actual heck? This is on a minimal game, with no ReStock or other part replacements.

Maybe there *is* a stock part that's now misconfigured.  Slowly stripping parts off of a Gull to figure out which one(s)... heh.

Edited by Beetlecat

17 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Maybe there *is* a stock part that's now misconfigured.  Slowly stripping parts off of a Gull to figure out which one(s)... heh.

That is possible. If some parts are renamed or got "upgrade" variants it is possible that upgraded part does not have proper FAR config. However, IIRC, parts without proper configs were not causing NREs before, just not providing expected lift/drag. I can only guess for now that something else is culprit.

57 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

That is possible. If some parts are renamed or got "upgrade" variants it is possible that upgraded part does not have proper FAR config. However, IIRC, parts without proper configs were not causing NREs before, just not providing expected lift/drag. I can only guess for now that something else is culprit.

Yeah, that's my assumption as well-- so many conflicts are misbehaviors between mods, or from some new stock behavior of KSP itself.

4 hours ago, YaBoyShredderson said:

Is there any FAR compatible shuttle mods? I usually use the shuttle orbiter construction kit, but that doesnt work with far. I tried configuring it too, but i dont know enough to do it properly and it still didnt work.

What are you seeing that's not working with FAR and the Stock Shuttle Orbiter Kit? I'm currently playing with both. I had to bump up the heat tolerance of some of the internal parts a bit but other than that it seems to work fine.

2 minutes ago, Razgriz1 said:

What are you seeing that's not working with FAR and the Stock Shuttle Orbiter Kit? I'm currently playing with both. I had to bump up the heat tolerance of some of the internal parts a bit but other than that it seems to work fine.

Its not configured to work with FAR. Its super unstable, as well as the wings and control surfaces not working correctly.