[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

25 minutes ago, cosekantphi said:

It seems that landing and take off speeds are quite a bit higher than what you'd expect in real life. After reading through a bit of both this thread and the last FAR thread, it looks like it's not a problem with the aerodynamic model, but rather because stock parts are just extremely heavy. As a result, if you want to build an aircraft capable of good low speed flight, you'll need wings that look disproportionately large compared to real aircraft of similar size and capability.

I'm looking to remedy this by making duplicate configs of plane parts with reduced dry masses. And so as not to unbalance the space flight part of the game, I'll remove the oxidizer tanks from fuselage parts, remove the monoprop and reaction wheels from cockpits, and significantly reduce temperature tolerances. That should be a good deterrent to bringing these lighter parts into space.

The thing is, I have no idea exactly how much to reduce the dry masses by to get realistic aircraft weights for a given size. Is there a general factor that accounts for exactly how overweight stock parts are, or does it differ from part to part? I was thinking of simply copying SMURFF dry masses, but I don't know if those are accurate for both rockets and planes or just rockets.

I can't tell straightforward answer, but IIRC, @NathanKell was experimenting with craft mass and FAR long time ago, based on real life Cesna data and similar craft created in KSP and FAR. Maybe NathanKell can tell more about it and I apologize if I'm wrong on that and pinging for nothing, it was long time ago and my memory have blured since.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with severe bounciness on splashdown. I've tried removing this mod and it appeared to have solved it. I also found a few other posts with a similar problem, but I couldn't find a solution. So-uh, my turn to try I guess? Do anyone know what's going on?

Has anyone else encountered an issue where you can't click on most things at KSC when FAR is installed? Not sure what's going on but I can't access the VAB, SPH, launchpad, etc. I can't even click buttons on the menu to exit the game. I haven't tested with only FAR so it's probably not the mod on it's own, but removing FAR does make the problem go away so I suspect it's probably some interaction. I can provide logs or a modlist if that would help but I wanted to check first if perhaps anyone had already encountered and determined the cause of this behavior. Thanks for any help.

22 hours ago, Sahadara said:

Has anyone else encountered an issue where you can't click on most things at KSC when FAR is installed? Not sure what's going on but I can't access the VAB, SPH, launchpad, etc. I can't even click buttons on the menu to exit the game. I haven't tested with only FAR so it's probably not the mod on it's own, but removing FAR does make the problem go away so I suspect it's probably some interaction. I can provide logs or a modlist if that would help but I wanted to check first if perhaps anyone had already encountered and determined the cause of this behavior. Thanks for any help.

Check few pages back in this thread. IIRC, on other people reports issue was not being properly installed toolbar and it's dependencies (click trough blocker, etc.). It may or may not be same issue as yours, it would be hard to tell without full log files.

3 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Check few pages back in this thread. IIRC, on other people reports issue was not being properly installed toolbar and it's dependencies (click trough blocker, etc.). It may or may not be same issue as yours, it would be hard to tell without full log files.

Hmm. Something strange has happened. I don't believe I've altered anything about my install since I made the earlier post, but now the behavior has changed. Rather than prevent me from accessing certain buildings, having FAR and Kopernicus installed is now causing Kopernicus to fail altogether and not load the planetary system. Not sure what's going on here so I've linked my KSP.log for any potential help.

Edit: How strange. The behavior has gone back to how it was before. Kopernicus works properly, but I can't access the VAB, etc. You can access the log for that instance here. I'm leaving the previous one in case anyone wants to see if they can figure out what went wrong the time Kopernicus didn't work.

Edited by Sahadara

On 1/27/2022 at 1:09 AM, Sahadara said:

Hmm. Something strange has happened. I don't believe I've altered anything about my install since I made the earlier post, but now the behavior has changed. Rather than prevent me from accessing certain buildings, having FAR and Kopernicus installed is now causing Kopernicus to fail altogether and not load the planetary system. Not sure what's going on here so I've linked my KSP.log for any potential help.

Edit: How strange. The behavior has gone back to how it was before. Kopernicus works properly, but I can't access the VAB, etc. You can access the log for that instance here. I'm leaving the previous one in case anyone wants to see if they can figure out what went wrong the time Kopernicus didn't work.

As suspected, you got similar error like it was descriebed earlier, although, it was not Clicktrough blocker but some other assembly that was not loaded properly and everything else suffer from some issue after that. From your first log:

[WRN 18:42:26.147] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'KerKonConConExt' is missing 1 dependencies
[ERR 18:42:26.266] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: EVEManager, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.266] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: EVEManager, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.268] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Utils, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.268] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Utils, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.279] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.279] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.290] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.6-KAS, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.290] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.6-KAS, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.302] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 18:42:26.302] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

From second log:

[WRN 19:13:27.261] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' has not met dependency 'RemoteTech' V1.7.0
[WRN 19:13:27.261] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' is missing 1 dependencies
[WRN 19:13:27.261] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'KerKonConConExt' has not met dependency 'KerbalKonstructs' V0.9.0
[WRN 19:13:27.261] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'KerKonConConExt' is missing 1 dependencies
[ERR 19:13:27.382] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: EVEManager, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.382] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: EVEManager, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.384] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Utils, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.384] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Utils, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.394] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.394] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.405] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.6-KAS, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.405] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.6-KAS, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.417] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 19:13:27.417] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPDev_Utils.2.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Sorry for late reply, I  was not near my PC until now and didn't have time to check the rest of log,  just begining. Check quoted parts of log and related mods to properly install everything. Some of dependecies are not yet updated for latest KSP and main mod does not work properly without it.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:39 AM, kcs123 said:

I can't tell straightforward answer, but IIRC, @NathanKell was experimenting with craft mass and FAR long time ago, based on real life Cesna data and similar craft created in KSP and FAR. Maybe NathanKell can tell more about it and I apologize if I'm wrong on that and pinging for nothing, it was long time ago and my memory have blured since.

For real stuff you probably want Realism Overhaul. Since I started working on it a bit over eight years ago, "a long time ago" fits. :D

On 1/24/2022 at 3:49 AM, NomenNescio said:

I'm having an issue with severe bounciness on splashdown. I've tried removing this mod and it appeared to have solved it. I also found a few other posts with a similar problem, but I couldn't find a solution. So-uh, my turn to try I guess? Do anyone know what's going on?

FAR changes how viscosity works, I think. Anyway, yeah, splashdowns are a lot less damped.

10 hours ago, ironman2613 said:

When i load the game with this mod it makes the VAB and SPH not able to be entered.When i load the game with this mod it makes the VAB and SPH not able to be entered.

Do you have Firespitter installed?@The Brazilian Luigireported this exact problem about six posts higher. He resolved the issue by updating his installation of the Firespitter mod.

Hey, I've been having an issue, and have seen other vaguely similar issue on the forms. I cannot click on anything with 16.0.4 or 16.0.3 (haven't tried other versions) on 1.12.9. Once I load into a save, I have to Alt+F4 to exit. Here is the pastebin of the log.

15 hours ago, MrCow said:

Hey, I've been having an issue, and have seen other vaguely similar issue on the forms. I cannot click on anything with 16.0.4 or 16.0.3 (haven't tried other versions) on 1.12.9. Once I load into a save, I have to Alt+F4 to exit. Here is the pastebin of the log.

Very similar issue as other reports, only different mod with plugin that is not properly installed. From your log:

[WRN 17:20:17.861] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' has not met dependency 'RemoteTech' V1.7.0
[WRN 17:20:17.861] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' is missing 1 dependencies
[ERR 17:20:17.938] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: AtmosphereAutopilot.UI, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.938] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: AtmosphereAutopilot.UI, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.959] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: EVEManager, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.959] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: EVEManager, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.960] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Utils, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.960] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Utils, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.968] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.968] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.998] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: SCANsat.Unity, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.999] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: SCANsat.Unity, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

In your case RemoteTech does not have some of dependency mod installed and failed to load properly. After that due to bug in KSP itself, other mods fail to load properly too. Try to solve issue with RemoteTech first and then check other mods if you still have errors in log files.

You can quickly find issue by searching for "[ERR" keyword in log file. In most cases it will reveal mod name that is culprit for those errors.

11 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Very similar issue as other reports, only different mod with plugin that is not properly installed. From your log:

[WRN 17:20:17.861] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' has not met dependency 'RemoteTech' V1.7.0
[WRN 17:20:17.861] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'CC_RemoteTech' is missing 1 dependencies
[ERR 17:20:17.998] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: SCANsat.Unity, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
[ERR 17:20:17.999] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: SCANsat.Unity, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

In your case RemoteTech does not have some of dependency mod installed and failed to load properly. After that due to bug in KSP itself, other mods fail to load properly too. Try to solve issue with RemoteTech first and then check other mods if you still have errors in log files.

You can quickly find issue by searching for "[ERR" keyword in log file. In most cases it will reveal mod name that is culprit for those errors.

I don't even have remote tech installed... why would FAR care about this?

9 hours ago, MrCow said:

I don't even have remote tech installed... why would FAR care about this?

FAR is just victim of other issues that you have. FAR does not cause issue, it just become more "visible", because of mentioned bug within KSP, when one assembly fail to load properly, pretty much all other plugins does not load properly after that.

It seems that you are right about not having Remote tech installed. There is no ifo about either, plugin or folder with that name that is inside of Gamedata folder. I don't know why it shows up in your log.  Error is right after loading ZeroMiniAVC.dll:

[LOG 17:20:17.858] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ZeroMiniAVC\Plugins\ZeroMiniAVC.dll
[LOG 17:20:17.860] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies

I didn't have muchj time to inspect your log file more carefully, sorry about that. Maybe @linuxgurugamer have more clue about that (sorry if I ping for nothing).

But it still stands that you have faulty install elsewhere, check out AtmosphereAutopilot, EVEManager, SCANSat, Scale_Redist, DistantObject, KSPUtil first. Some of those does not all of dependencies properly installed. As said, when one of plugin does not work properly, everything else is prone to fail too.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:00 AM, Svm420 said:

@dkavolis

I have a request. Would you add a Q readout on the Data+Stability page of the analysis AKA pg 2. I can post the request to github if that's preferred if this could be added. Maybe static pressure too? I don't know that I need it, but just another idea. Thank you :)

On 6/4/2019 at 3:00 AM, dkavolis said:

Sure, I'm rebuilding the UI at the moment but it's going to be a while. I'll be able to add a lot more stuff to the UI once it's done.

@dkavolis Would you still consider this request? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a question. 1.12.3 with expansions, FAR 16.0.4 and kerbal engineer 1.1.9 installed, nothing else.

I load up the stock Mallard, raise the landing gear, set altitude to 10km, and mach number to .535. Calculate data/stability derivatives gives me a reference area of 122 ms^2, an AoA of 7.02544 degrees, a forward velocity of 157.864 m/s, and coefficients of lift and drag of 0.84 and 0.0632. With an atmosphere density of 0.288 kg/m3, that comes to a lift force of 367,762 newtons, or 37,501kg weight. Far says that this if for level coordinated flight, so lift force should be exactly equal to weight, but KSP says the weight of the mallard in this configuration is 39,046kg. I tried a few different speeds/altitudes, and came up repeatedly with a lift force of only 37.5 tons.

Is this a rounding error or something, or am I missing something? Also, is there a way to see FAR's outputs with more decimal places? Or even better have it print a range of values to a text file? Like for instance the precise values of the AoA sweep?

edit: It looks like my inaccuracy stems from the density value. I pulled them from the KSP wiki. I'll try using some values produced using the USSA equations on Ohiobob's site, because apparently that's how KSP's atmosphere works in stock now. Which is pretty cool. 

Edited by Nnimrod

Hello.

After FAR installing I'm getting a warning from Scale Redist Watch Dog: "scale redist dll must be directly on game data and be named 999_Scale_Redist_dll". If I install TweakScale, then it's telling me that "there're more than one Scale Redist dll on this KSP installment" (because the real 999_Scale_Redist_dll is coming with TweakScale). As far as I understand, this is because FAR has Scale_Redist.dll at ~\GameData\FerramAerospaceResearch\Plugins.

So what should I do? Delete FAR's Scale_Redist.dll (since I have 999_Scale_Redist_dll from TweakScale) or just ignore the warning?