[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

2 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

Hey everyone, I'm using FAR in 1.8.1 and I'm experiencing some significant lag at speeds over ~160 m/s and it also gets worse over time. Does anyone here know why this is happening and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for help!

Is it same thing as described in this post ?

If not, provide a bit more info: logfiles, screenshot, short video, more precise description... All of this can help to narrow down cause of issue you have.

No this is not how it behaves, my framerate just drops from 30 to 7 when I go too fast, even with very low-part vessels.

unknown.png

these are my mods.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/648952609792851978/698607417889652756/KSP.log 

this is the KSP.log file

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/648952609792851978/698608324681269308/ModuleManager.log

and this the ModuleManager.log file.

• 2 weeks later...

screenshot81.png

Could someone help me here? The right ship was spawned from the hangar and works fine but with unusually high drag, the ship on the left was spawned with vesselmover and is completely unmovable, it sinks until it's almost below water, then it teleports up again. Sometimes firing the gun fixes it, but everying is behaving very random. is there a fix for this?

58 minutes ago, HB Stratos said:

screenshot81.png

Could someone help me here? The right ship was spawned from the hangar and works fine but with unusually high drag, the ship on the left was spawned with vesselmover and is completely unmovable, it sinks until it's almost below water, then it teleports up again. Sometimes firing the gun fixes it, but everying is behaving very random. is there a fix for this?

im haveing the same problem

On 4/24/2020 at 3:56 PM, HB Stratos said:

On 4/24/2020 at 4:54 PM, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

im haveing the same problem

17 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

Another problem I'm experiencing if the ship that's frozen (the one spawned by vessel mover) decides to move against all odds then it's capable of double the speed of the one spawned from the SPH

It seems that is somethng different in method how craft is loaded from SPH vs loading from launchpad and/or vesselmover. I think that it is very similar if not same issue that @Lisias encontered while working on new dependency plugin for tweakscale. https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSP-Recall/issues/3

I tmay not have anything with FAR at all, I posting it here because it might be relevant info to track down true culprit of encountered issue. On the other hand, same issue that cause part shifting may cause other info necessary for FAR to not load properly as well.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:56 AM, HB Stratos said:

Can you send me the craft file? Probably I will just confirm what I already know, but it would be nice to have a new confirmation anyway.

Some glitches on the Editor are triggered by parts with VARIANT, other known glitch is RESOUCES being overwritten. Apparently, we have a new glitch to cope with.

2 hours ago, kcs123 said:

It seems that is somethng different in method how craft is loaded from SPH vs loading from launchpad and/or vesselmover. I think that it is very similar if not same issue that @Lisias encontered while working on new dependency plugin for tweakscale. https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSP-Recall/issues/3

I agree! But it may be a new trigger for the https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSP-Recall/issues/1 too.

Inspecting the craft file will hint me about the parts involved, and by inspecting the CFG files for the parts I may detect a new pattern - or perhaps a new behaviour for an already known one.

4 hours ago, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

i dont have vesselmover installed but water still is unusually high drag 

Higher drag is somewhat to be expected. FAR calculates drag for fluids (both, air and water) in different way than it is in stock. Very long time ago, before KSP 1.0 or very early version of KSP 1.x there was other issue with water not having enough drag. It was take too long time to stop when you land on the water. Another issue was that if you drop some probe in water, like bouey or something (I was doing this for GAP contracts), it would got some phantom forces and start to gain speed instead of loosing it.

I know this because I was the one who reported that bug back then. Ferram have probably included some extra piece of code to get around of this bug or used some other values in calculation of fluid density/drag than it waws intended fro the first time. A lot of things have changed since then, so that piece of code might be a culprit for unusual high drag, comepared to stock physics.

Can't recall much more info about it from top of my head, I hope that this bit of info might help @dkavolis to find out what is going on. Some craft examples, preferably from only stock parts that can easy reproduce issue can help a lot developers to chase down root of such issues.

17 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Higher drag is somewhat to be expected. FAR calculates drag for fluids (both, air and water) in different way than it is in stock. Very long time ago, before KSP 1.0 or very early version of KSP 1.x there was other issue with water not having enough drag. It was take too long time to stop when you land on the water. Another issue was that if you drop some probe in water, like bouey or something (I was doing this for GAP contracts), it would got some phantom forces and start to gain speed instead of loosing it.

I know this because I was the one who reported that bug back then. Ferram have probably included some extra piece of code to get around of this bug or used some other values in calculation of fluid density/drag than it waws intended fro the first time. A lot of things have changed since then, so that piece of code might be a culprit for unusual high drag, comepared to stock physics.

Can't recall much more info about it from top of my head, I hope that this bit of info might help @dkavolis to find out what is going on. Some craft examples, preferably from only stock parts that can easy reproduce issue can help a lot developers to chase down root of such issues.

we are not talking realistic levels of drag we are talking about a ks-25 with a probe core and infinite fuel moving at 0.0000001 m/s

8 hours ago, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

we are not talking realistic levels of drag we are talking about a ks-25 with a probe core and infinite fuel moving at 0.0000001 m/s

Yep, some of recent changes in KSP may caused that old settings/calculations no longer work properly. I have recalled that there was other issue in oposite direction long time in the past that now may cause this bug. Different drag magnitude with stock vs FAR physics is something that can be expected, though.

5 minutes ago, HB Stratos said:

the issue is that it seems to happen mainly with modded vessels and very large single parts. a ship built from regular parts usually works fine, but large single parts often just lock in place on the water

Are you using Tweakscale for very large parts ? If you do, issue may be related to tweakscale mod. In that case, share a link for such craftfile and send it to @Lisias for further testing as asked in few posts above.

2 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Are you using Tweakscale for very large parts ? If you do, issue may be related to tweakscale mod. In that case, share a link for such craftfile and send it to @Lisias for further testing as asked in few posts above.

The parts do have a tweakscale component, but at least some don't use it. I'll fire up my KSP install later today and build a test vessel that I can share here.
I noticed something too, there are no drag vectors showing when I press F12 and still parts are locking up.

Edited by HB Stratos

5 hours ago, kcs123 said:

That problem was due Mass going to 0, what "anchored" parts on the 3D space (as Force = Mass * Acc, and with Mass being 0, Force is zero too) or exploding things around (due equations dividing by Mass that, being zero, injected INF and NaN on the physics engine).

But reading the Release Notes of one of the KSP versions (forgot what), I learnt that Squad is now protecting the Mass of every part frrom being zero, so that exact problem is no possible anymore.

However, we can be facing the Zero Problem on another Physics Parameter, probably the Drag (but I'm guessing).

So, yes, the craft file that suffers from this problem will be of great help so I can try to pinpoint what parts are being anchored on 3D space, and what parts are not. At least, I will be able to determine if TweakScale have or have not a play on this problem, and so this will narrow down the possibilities.

Bug: FAR counts the TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer a.k.a. the launch clamp as a part of the vessel in Stability Derivatives both when it's connected and when it's disconnected.

Edited by Krzeszny
only when connected

38 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

Bug: FAR counts the TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer a.k.a. the launch clamp as a part of the vessel in Stability Derivatives both when it's connected and when it's disconnected.

why do you need the launch clamps attached or even a part of the vessel while tweaking it for good stability derivatives? Vessels aren't supposed to fly with launch clamps attached so it makes sense FAR wouldn't like it

When patching wings for FAR, is there a more efficient and faster way to derive values for FARWingAerodynamicModel and FARControllableSurface than opening them in blender and deriving the values manually? Currently what I do is make a B9 procedural wing similar in shape to the unpatched part, and using the values on the procedural wing's PAW for the config. While more efficient than using Blender I am not sure if I am even using the numbers correctly.

I'm making FAR patches for wings and fins that don't support FAR in my career setup. Normally in a sandbox game I would just use procedural wings, but they aren't always available and the look of non-procedural wings has kind of grown on me.

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

why do you need the launch clamps attached or even a part of the vessel while tweaking it for good stability derivatives? Vessels aren't supposed to fly with launch clamps attached so it makes sense FAR wouldn't like it

4 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

FAR counts (...) the launch clamp as a part of the vessel in Stability Derivatives both when it's connected and when it's disconnected.

Sorry, FARc only counts connected clamps as part of the vessel. Which is still a bug. As you said, clamps aren't for flying so FARc should ignore them. I know I can detach them when tweaking stability, but I don't see why FAR shouldn't do that by default.

Edited by Krzeszny
only connected

@Lisias here's a boat that tends to lock itself in place, it's kinda random so pitch up/down a bit to see the result.
Required mods are Large boats pack, hull breach an tweakscale. Game version 1.8. NOte: the ship also behaved weirdly when no tweak-scaled fins were installed. Namely it tends to sway from side to side without the extra pontoons I added.
Another thing you can test with is the USS enterprise from Kerbal AircraftCarrier Expansion. It's a single-part ship that also locks itself into place... or it flies to space