[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

12 hours ago, ss8913 said:

so y'all want to see the *entire* log, not just certain relevant parts?  anyone had an issue like this before?  I've been using FAR almost since I started playing KSP in 2013 and haven't had an issue like this...

A whole log looks overwhelming, but the general workflow one uses is to search the log using one search term, and then, depending on what you find, try others. If the user is just told, "give me all the lines that match this search term", then going back and forth with multiple search terms will take a while. If the user is given a tree of search terms to try, the likelihood that the user misses something in the tree or the dev forgets to include something is much higher. If the user just gives the dev the whole log to start, then the dev can work through the log at his own pace without having to wait for further user response.

Hi guys,

I wanted to assign elevon 4 to translate u/d axis and use it to have separate smal controll surfaces for trim like on the real plane. I saw this implemented in the tutorial for Propellers by untied technologies but I can't replicate it. There is nothing I can assign when I select translate u/d and my elevon in the action group editor.

I suspected it may be related to the mod FAR changing the flaps spoilers deployment menu from Stock, and it seems it is (as confirmed by OHara here: 

I thought maybe there is a patch for FAR I am not aware of? How can I assign an Elevon to translate axis?

I play on KSP 1.12.2  with following mods:

Spoiler

[x] Science! Continued (xScienceContinued 6.0.0.8)
B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings - Fork (B9-PWings-Fork 3:0.43.0.10)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.16.0)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.12.9)
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
Chatterer Extended (ChattererExtended 0.6.2)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit v5.2.0.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.4)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.5)
Custom Pre Launch Checks (CustomPreLaunchChecks 1.8.1.1)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.3.1)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.9.1)
Dynamic Battery Storage (DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.2.5.0)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.4.3.5)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.3.1)
Ferram Aerospace Research Continued (FerramAerospaceResearchContinued 3:0.16.0.4)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.17)
Kerbal Actuators (KerbalActuators v1.8.4)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.9)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.9.0)
Kerbal Foundries2 (KerbalFoundriesContinued 2.4.8.18)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.28)
Kerbal Konstructs (KerbalKonstructs v1.8.3.0)
Kerbin Side Remastered (KerbinSideRemastered 1.0.1)
Kerbin Side Remastered GAP (KerbinSideRemasteredGAP 1:v2.1.0)
Konstruction (Konstruction 1.4.0)
Kramax Autopilot Continued (KramaxAutopilotContinued 0.4.0)
KSP Wheel (KSPWheel 1:0.16.14.33)
Mark IV Spaceplane System (MarkIVSpaceplaneSystem 3.2.0)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.12.3.0)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
Near Future Aeronautics (NearFutureAeronautics 2.1.1)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.2.3)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.7.1)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.2.0)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 1.3.5)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.3.2)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.3.2)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.4.3)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.5)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.5)
RCS Build Aid (RCSBuildAid v1.0.6)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.3.2)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.8)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0772)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0772)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0772)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.6.1)
Textures Unlimited (TexturesUnlimited 1.5.10.25)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
USI Core (USI-Core 1.4.0)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:1.4.1)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 1.4.0)
USI Tools (USITools 1.4.0)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.1.1)

Sorry I don't know how to make logs :(

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Leaving this for context/reference, but my following post makes some of this one pointless in retrospect.

Spoiler

I'll keep this concise - RE: Unable to enter VAB/SPH with FAR installed, and also using Kronometer (which I think is still part of the issue, unless it's all FAR/its dependencies):

Followed what I believe was the entire conversation between pages 28 & 29, and I:
- Wiped KSP Steam directory/Still uninstalled through Steam afterwards JIC;
- Redownloaded and copied KSP to a separate directory;
- Manually installed latest ModuleManager, Kopernicus & the MFI bundled with it (not overwritten by FAR's copy), JNSQ, Kronometer, FAR, and the versions of ClickThroughBlocker/ToolbarController/Toolbar from the links provided in earlier answers, downloaded from their Github links:

Spoiler

- Loaded KSP, still unable to enter VAB/SPH

Here are what should be fresh logs of that single attempt (providing KSP.log and also what's in the "Logs" folder):

If this is still user error installing ToolbarController correctly, I think we might need some kind of further direction on that, because I simply grabbed it from the link provided and installed it in my fresh, isolated KSP install (with ClickThroughBlocker). Isn't that the correct way to install it?

Hope this is enough to help figure it out. I haven't tested with FAR and without Kronometer, but I'll try to get that feedback to you soon. The problem for CKAN users in that regard is JNSQ won't show as compatible with 1.12.2 unless Kronometer is installed (though it's not a hard dependency), and the JSNQ_Date mod actually requires Kronometer.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS (IMPORTANT):

Alright. It's not ToolbarController or any of that, which is kinda what I thought. The errors about ToolbarController from the other user were unrelated to this issue. I uninstalled Kronometer, made no other changes to the install I described above, and the issue is completely resolved - I can enter the editors no problem.

I can add some insight too, that it may be a problem between Kronometer and FAR specifically. Something I noticed after the successful, no-Kronometer attempt - I believe there was no "Custom_FARAeroData.cfg" generated in the GameData folder while Kronometer was installed and the VAB/SPH issue was present, and it's now been generated since I removed Kronometer and the issue stopped.

Here are the same logs as before but since the second, successful try without Kronometer:

Edit: I just remembered Kronometer packages its own "Kopernicus.Parser.dll" which I didn't remove for my test. I'll do one more test WITH Kronometer with that .dll removed. Sidenote: I don't know CKAN backend, but could THAT be why JNSQ wants Kronometer if you CKAN install, but doesn't list it as a dependency on the JNSQ page?

Edit 2: Final verdict(ish): Nope, same result, and once again "Custom_FARAeroData.cfg" failed to generate with Kronometer installed. So the "unable to enter VAB/SPH" issue is specifically caused by the presence of both FAR and Kronometer, with or without Kronometer's kinda superfluous "Kopernicus.Parser.dll". So I think until the conflict is figured out, FAR and Kronometer (and its dependents, like JNSQ_Date) seem to be incompatible.

Final note for JNSQ users: Manual install seems the best way to go right now. If you're on 1.12.2, it won't show up on CKAN until you manually install Kronometer (which is not on CKAN for 1.12), and if Kronometer is messing up mods like FAR (or even just FAR), and isn't a JNSQ hard-dependency, leave Kronometer and JNSQ_Date out for now, and manually install JNSQ.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

2 hours ago, RocketRyleigh said:

Manual install seems the best way to go right now.

I always do.

Kronometer packages its own "Kopernicus.Parser.dll"

Not the version that  I got: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Kronometer/releases/tag/1.12.0.1

JNSQ_Date out for now

https://spacedock.info/mod/2755/JNSQ Real Date?ga=<Game+3102+'Kerbal+Space+Program'># works on my side without issues, I just edited GameData\JNSQRealDate\JNSQRealDate.cfg at each offsetYear entry and changed it to another year than 2001, I chose 1951.

3 hours ago, RocketRyleigh said:

Edit: I just remembered Kronometer packages its own "Kopernicus.Parser.dll" which I didn't remove for my test. I'll do one more test WITH Kronometer with that .dll removed. Sidenote: I don't know CKAN backend, but could THAT be why JNSQ wants Kronometer if you CKAN install, but doesn't list it as a dependency on the JNSQ page?

Ummm, then what's this?  Admittidly I did have the enable the 1.12 compatibility, ( and will get the netkan info updated today to fix this):

sQ6Eapj.png

Seems that most if not all of your problems came from having an incompatible version of Kronometer installed.  I don't use FAR, so I can't comment on that.  But not having the correct version (and, highly suggested, having the KSP Community Fixes installed) works.

Frankly, at this point, I'm at the point where, if someone does NOT install via CKAN, I consider their installation suspect.  More often than not, if someone manually installs and then complains about a problem, it's quite often an install issue.  CKAN has improved so much over the years that it is now one of the best mod manages I've seen.  I install over 220 mods into my games using CKAN, and except for one time 4 years ago, have never had a problem.  I realize that it did have problems years ago, but it's much improved since them, and the support/development team is active and helpful

Just an FYI, if you refresh your CKAN, you will see the updated info on Kronometer now

50 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Frankly, at this point, I'm at the point where, if someone does NOT install via CKAN, I consider their installation suspect.  More often than not, if someone manually installs and then complains about a problem, it's quite often an install issue.  CKAN has improved so much over the years that it is now one of the best mod manages I've seen.  I install over 220 mods into my games using CKAN, and except for one time 4 years ago, have never had a problem.  I realize that it did have problems years ago, but it's much improved since them, and the support/development team is active and helpful

I respect you immensely LGG. Part of my entire reason for bringing this up has been the issue I mentioned with installing JNSQ through CKAN, which I always prefer, and have only avoided in this case because of this specific dependency issue with Kronometer.

Unless something changed in the last day, JNSQ will not appear as compatible on a 1.12.2 install on CKAN, despite being in fact compatible, and its metadata calls for a "virtual" dependency of Kronometer which is not listed on CKAN, nor actually required by JNSQ, hence why I searched out download of Kronometer on my own. This apparently broken version of Kronometer didn't bother CKAN, and installing it, along with Kopernicus, allows JNSQ to show up as compatible.

This is how CKAN behaves with these mods on any 1.12.2 install I've used. I would very much like to install JNSQ through CKAN - how do I do that the correct way, since that way is not obvious?

Edit: I missed the mention of Kronometer on CKAN. Thanks for updating it so I am able to use CKAN now, which I prefer... but "Frankly"... nevermind.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

47 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Seems that most if not all of your problems came from having an incompatible version of Kronometer installed.  I don't use FAR, so I can't comment on that.  But not having the correct version (and, highly suggested, having the KSP Community Fixes installed) works.

Which is good to know. I'll check out the one linked by Gordon Dry.

I was genuinely trying to be helpful with what I thought was an actual issue. I apologize for whatever offense I've given for not knowing how to wrangle the convenient CKAN. Thank you for your work anyways.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

7 minutes ago, RocketRyleigh said:

Which is good to know. I'll check out the one linked by Gordon Dry.

I was genuinely trying to be helpful with what I thought was an actual issue. I apologize for whatever offense I've given for not knowing how to wrangle the convenient CKAN. Thank you for your work anyways.

Again, use CKAN to install, it has the latest version

8 minutes ago, RocketRyleigh said:

I was genuinely trying to be helpful with what I thought was an actual issue. I apologize for whatever offense I've given for not knowing how to wrangle the convenient CKAN.

No offense taken.  Just use CKAN :D 

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Again, use CKAN to install, it has the latest version

No offense taken.  Just use CKAN :D 

Literally the reason I'm here though, I'm not letting that get dismissed lol. Regardless of what you think I missed on CKAN, JNSQ was not appearing as compatible, no checkbox, didn't show up in the compatible filter, without me installing Kopernicus and Kronometer beforehand. Part of the wonderful convenience of CKAN is it handling dependencies etc, so why wouldn't it just let me click JNSQ, click accept, and bring me to the required dependency screen, like mods normally do?

I love CKAN for that stuff, and I'm familiar with how it's meant to work from the user end, and it at least wasn't working with JNSQ in this way in the past few days. That's not on me lol - give me a checkbox and I'll click it, accept the dependencies, whatever.

Allow me to use CKAN, and I will every time.

Edit: I see JNSQ now - I also see the "release date" as 5:42 pm yesterday. Coincidence?

Edited by RocketRyleigh

13 minutes ago, RocketRyleigh said:

Literally the reason I'm here though, I'm not letting that get dismissed lol. Regardless of what you think I missed on CKAN, JNSQ was not appearing as compatible, no checkbox, didn't show up in the compatible filter, without me installing Kopernicus and Kronometer beforehand. Part of the wonderful convenience of CKAN is it handling dependencies etc, so why wouldn't it just let me click JNSQ, click accept, and bring me to the required dependency screen, like mods normally do?

Due to the plethora of versions, CKAN has this ability to specify that versions of KSP other than the current version are compatible.  See the following screenshots for how to get to it:

UC0O6Yf.png

imMWq2j.png

I maintain over 260 mods, and am unable to update each one for each version, most of which is unnecessary.  What you are seeing above is what I use for my career and development installs, and this makes everything needed available.  

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Due to the plethora of versions, CKAN has this ability to specify that versions of KSP other than the current version are compatible.  See the following screenshots for how to get to it:

UC0O6Yf.png

imMWq2j.png

I maintain over 260 mods, and am unable to update each one for each version, most of which is unnecessary.  What you are seeing above is what I use for my career and development installs, and this makes everything needed available.  

Thank you LGG, that information is very helpful for future reference. Although it seems that whatever was wrong on JNSQ's side in regards to CKAN was fixed at 5:42 last night, allowing it to show up for 1.12.2 as it should.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I always do.

Not the version that  I got: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Kronometer/releases/tag/1.12.0.1

https://spacedock.info/mod/2755/JNSQ Real Date?ga=<Game+3102+'Kerbal+Space+Program'># works on my side without issues, I just edited GameData\JNSQRealDate\JNSQRealDate.cfg at each offsetYear entry and changed it to another year than 2001, I chose 1951.

Looks like the JNSQ install is now working normally on CKAN, but I'll grab that for a manual secondary install, so thanks.

Spoiler

The JNSQ Date thing, you kinda clipped that out of a sentence and post that was mainly about Kronometer, and in that sentence you half-quoted, I was basically saying Kronometer, and therefore JNSQ Date, since it depends on Kronometer, would not work right now. Thought it worth mentioning since ultimately the point was using FAR and JNSQ together, with which people might use JNSQ Date.

Now I know I had the wrong Kronometer though, so it's all good. Nothing wrong with JNSQ Date on its own.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

I'm going to stop monopolizing this thread now, but honestly...

CKAN Error:

Spoiler

Unhandled exception:
System.Transactions.TransactionException: Failed to roll back. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Textures\PluginData\Edna_heightmap.dds' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at ChinhDo.Transactions.FileManager.Operations.SingleFileOperation.Rollback()
   at ChinhDo.Transactions.FileManager.TxEnlistment.Rollback(Enlistment enlistment)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at ChinhDo.Transactions.FileManager.TxEnlistment.Rollback(Enlistment enlistment)
   at System.Transactions.VolatileEnlistmentAborting.EnterState(InternalEnlistment enlistment)
   at System.Transactions.TransactionStateAborted.EnterState(InternalTransaction tx)
   at System.Transactions.EnlistableStates.Timeout(InternalTransaction tx)
   at System.Transactions.Bucket.TimeoutTransactions()
   at System.Transactions.BucketSet.TimeoutTransactions()
   at System.Transactions.TransactionTable.ThreadTimer(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback()
   at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire()
   at System.Threading.TimerQueue.FireNextTimers() 

Fresh Steam install, only selected JNSQ and FAR to install, accepted dependencies and rejected suggested mods.

Rant:

Spoiler

Like I'm being told "oh everything's there, just use CKAN for christ's sake", when that's all I wanted, JNSQ's entry was not updated until literally last night - I can see the timestamp - which is the mod I'm saying wasn't appearing. Maybe I somehow missed Kronometer being listed as well, but if it was, I don't understand how me manually installing it would allow JNSQ to show up if it's apparently also already on CKAN.

None of it adds up, and now I try to just do as I'm told and use CKAN now that people have evidently fixed things, select only JNSQ and FAR to install on a fresh Steam install, accept their dependencies, reject all suggestions, and it just gives me that error every time...

My manual install without the mysterious broken Kronometer I got from the first link I found works perfectly though, so I'm just going to play that install and hope CKAN works next time. I might try Gordon Dry's Kronometer link if it will work with FAR for my manual install, but CKAN has been far too temperamental with this specific set of mods since I've been trying to install them. I know CKAN is great, but if it's raining don't tell me it's sunny. It DOES have issues sometimes. Not always end-user error.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

19 minutes ago, RocketRyleigh said:

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Textures\PluginData\Edna_heightmap.dds' because it is being used by another process.

That kind of error suggest that you may not properly closed previous KSP session. You may want to check task manager if you encounter this kind of error next time. On the side note, you should avoid to install mods directly over steam folder. It can srew your game for multiple reasons when you least expected. You should rather keep steam install as stock only files and copy whole KSP elsewhere for moding purposes. It will take some additional HDD storage, but it pays of on the long run.

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

That kind of error suggest that you may not properly closed previous KSP session. You may want to check task manager if you encounter this kind of error next time. On the side note, you should avoid to install mods directly over steam folder. It can srew your game for multiple reasons when you least expected. You should rather keep steam install as stock only files and copy whole KSP elsewhere for moding purposes. It will take some additional HDD storage, but it pays of on the long run.

Thank you for the first part, about some KSP session still running - I have seen that before in task manager, just not sure when/why it happens and didn't know CKAN would trip out over it. And I definitely will be using a separated install of KSP, and also do my mods manually. I'm sure you guys get a lot of questions that'd be solved by using CKAN, but I know how to build a modpack, and in my case it's more reliable doing it manually than using the mod manager.

Thank you for maintaining FAR as well - I'm just loading my full install for a FINAL test to confirm Kronometer and FAR work together after all. I'll let you know, even if I'm actually the last one learning this.

Edit: FAR/Kronometer compatibility confirmed, BUT:

Spoiler

Can confirm FAR and Kronometer RELEASE 1.12.0.1 are compatible. In my defense, Google "ksp kronometer", and follow the first link, then follow the big blue "Latest Release at Github" link:

Now, upon much closer inspection, I do see the decidedly TINY text saying "Kronometer support for the latest ksp patch is available here". 

I don't feel quite as at fault anymore lol. And the main link that IS visible to the naked eye leads to the old Kronometer version on Github which I've confirmed does not work with current FAR. It seems slightly misleading to include, not being the latest release. Yes it has "1.11.0.1" in the file name, but I assumed that was just mod version and trusted the link lol.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

57 minutes ago, RocketRyleigh said:

Thank you for maintaining FAR as well - I'm just loading my full install for a FINAL test to confirm Kronometer and FAR work together after all. I'll let you know, even if I'm actually the last one learning this.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for that. @dkavolisis current maintainerafter ferram stopped development. I'm just regular long time user, so I help others when possible and within my humble knowledge.

5 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Thanks, but I can't take credit for that. @dkavolisis current maintainerafter ferram stopped development. I'm just regular long time user, so I help others when possible and within my humble knowledge.

I should've reminded myself the username of the new maintainer, definite faux pas lol. @dkavolis definitely gets all the credit! I think I've just seen you on the forums and my brain saw a familiar name and just jumped to conclusions.

4 hours ago, Dovahkiin2132 said:

I don't have Kronometer but the game still refuses to let me enter Vab/Sph or any building except the Astronaut complex and when i enter i can't leave it. Any other mods that cause conflicts? (Running RO and RSS)

To get the thread back on track: Dovahkiin had a question earlier which got steamrolled by my stuff.

@Dovahkiin2132Could you go into  your Kerbal Space Program folder and find at least the "KSP.log" file? Share it through something like https://pastebin.com/ and give the link, or at least put it in a spoiler (the eye) if you paste it straight to the forum. Logs are usually the best first step. An earlier user was advised to make sure they have up-to-date versions of "ToolbarController" and "ClickThroughBlocker" installed properly when they had the same issue without Kronometer (which DOES work with FAR after all, for the record - just not old versions).

Edited by RocketRyleigh

On 11/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, RocketRyleigh said:

To get the thread back on track: Dovahkiin had a question earlier which got steamrolled by my stuff.

@Dovahkiin2132Could you go into  your Kerbal Space Program folder and find at least the "KSP.log" file? Share it through something like https://pastebin.com/ and give the link, or at least put it in a spoiler (the eye) if you paste it straight to the forum. Logs are usually the best first step. An earlier user was advised to make sure they have up-to-date versions of "ToolbarController" and "ClickThroughBlocker" installed properly when they had the same issue without Kronometer (which DOES work with FAR after all, for the record - just not old versions).

I couldn't upload it onto pastebin because it's so huge, so i uploaded it onto Mega. Here's the link: https://mega.nz/file/J1tlVSyB#fwFsEH5arrrx1gloP9yzMgaQwvHjPGkljbXYk-oJUKE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems that landing and take off speeds are quite a bit higher than what you'd expect in real life. After reading through a bit of both this thread and the last FAR thread, it looks like it's not a problem with the aerodynamic model, but rather because stock parts are just extremely heavy. As a result, if you want to build an aircraft capable of good low speed flight, you'll need wings that look disproportionately large compared to real aircraft of similar size and capability.

I'm looking to remedy this by making duplicate configs of plane parts with reduced dry masses. And so as not to unbalance the space flight part of the game, I'll remove the oxidizer tanks from fuselage parts, remove the monoprop and reaction wheels from cockpits, and significantly reduce temperature tolerances. That should be a good deterrent to bringing these lighter parts into space.

The thing is, I have no idea exactly how much to reduce the dry masses by to get realistic aircraft weights for a given size. Is there a general factor that accounts for exactly how overweight stock parts are, or does it differ from part to part? I was thinking of simply copying SMURFF dry masses, but I don't know if those are accurate for both rockets and planes or just rockets.