Decoupler TD-12 test

I am apparently stupid.  Love this game, but I cannot get this contract fulfilled.  And it's one of the most basic!  The Test TD-12 Decoupler contract...I have flown it on a test rocket, landed both the pod and the boost stage with the coupler on it several times.  I have tried just putting a pod and some legs on the launchpad, making the TD-12 the first stage, letting it drop/explode off.  The green checkmarks say met, but it does not give me the reward and says it's still open.  What apparently simple thing am I failing to do??  

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue on the Mk16 parachute test, but I think I've figured that out.  I'm guessing I have to deploy it between a certain altitude and at a certain speed.  Going to try that next.  But the Decoupler...geez.

If you right click on the part, is there a button that says "Run Test"?  I've had contracts that wouldn't complete with staging, but the Run Test button did it.

It can be tricky to get the alt and speed right at the same time.

If you believe you've fulfilled the contract and it's just not popping for you, you can complete it using the Debugging menu.  Alt + F12 on Windows, Right Shift + F12 on Linux, something + F12 on Mac.

Also, welcome to the forums, @DoctorHoon!

You gotta read the fine print on the contract. It'll probably say "test the part by staging it at X altitude and Y speed."

Which means you have to hit your spacebar to actually stage the part when all the green checkmarks are checked.

I’ve looked and clicked all over, can’t find any “test” buttons.  And the staging is the part I don’t understand after trying several more times.  By the time the checkmarks are green, I’ve already used the decoupler, there is no way to use it again.  I even used two back to back, failed to get it as well.  I’ll keep trying.  I’ve already made it to orbit and back and can’t get this simple contract!!  

Hi all and DoctorHoon in particular

It sounds like your Contract requires your vehicle (vessel) to be within in range of values for performance and position (velocity, altitude, etc) for the contract to work.

What you need to figure out is how to get your vehicle within range of all the requirements and to have a Decoupler waiting to be staged. And if you care about such things get your Kerbal(s) back safely.

Typically I will approach this kind of contract by using a Mk1 Capsule and the minimum amount of SRB / rocket parts to get me into the requirements range. Leave a little room for tinkering with thrust limiters and fuel loads (for SRBs), and with throttle settings for LF engines. Sometimes I pack an extra Radial Drogue chute or five to give me the option of reducing velocity. Important to remember TO NOT put the decoupler between the capsule and the parachute you intend to land with (yep, been there, done that, screamed in rage as the Evil god of Gravity claimed another Kerbal sacrifice). 

Fly your first attempt just to make sure you can get the vehicle (vessel) into the right range. Revert (or do some science and land safely) and then refit with the part to be tested. Fly again. Timing is (almost) everything. Don't get disheartened if you don't get it right the first time. You can always revert (or watch your Kerbals die spectacularly - or have them bail out and ride their personal chutes down - that can be hours of mindless fun all in itself ;-) ).

Once mastered this particular skill set can be a time consuming but efficient way to pad out that funds account.

REgards

Orc

18 hours ago, DoctorHoon said:

By the time the checkmarks are green, I’ve already used the decoupler, there is no way to use it again.

Right, so don't stage it before then.  Design the rocket so that when you get to the prescribed conditions (altitude, speed, whatever), you still have an unstaged TD-12 on board, which you can stage at that time.

• 1 year later...

Sure you figured it out by now, but I too was having trouble with this one. It's very literal. Capsule, decoupler. That's it. Someone posted this photo on reddit that helped me. hahaha https://imgur.com/WQhYFb7

• 1 year later...

Zombie-ing this thread because this seems to still be an issue.

I read the contract literally -- and it works out. And above works out, too. To a point.

With just the capsule and the decoupler, you can decouple sitting on the pad (the contract requires you to be landed). And the contract goes green. But you can't Recover Vessel, you can't save, you can't move forward, because your spacecraft is not landed any more -- it's sitting on debris (the decoupler, or whatever). So you can't save and move forward once its finished.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Uh, and I figured it out after typing this, and thought I'd share: You can use the arrow keys to adjust your trajectory -- and when you have only the capsule, and you're landed, you can tumble the capsule off the decoupler, roll into the dirt, and then Recover Vessel and move on. That is ridiculous.

Edited by JayJayToday

• 1 month later...

I had trouble with this too and reading the contracts is important. I simply had to test it at the launch site. There was no test button. I selected decouple and nothing. Read the contract again. Ahhh. "Through the staging sequence" means stage it with the space bar not do it manually through the button.

Edited by PappaKerbal
Typos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.