A "KSP Loading..." Preview: the Mk2 Lander Can

SQUAD

The Mark 2 Lander Can got a face lift and a few surprises. The mass has been reduced to be more in-line with comparable parts, a second top hatch has been added (using a new standardized art template), and players can now choose between a pair of built in service bays, or a slimmed down ‘butter stick’ version ideal for manned rovers.

Click here for the high-res images

Those are really cool! Does the top still have a node? Where would I attach a docking port? 

Might be easier to make the top hatch a variant if it's going to cause problems with docking ports.

6 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Those are really cool! Does the top still have a node? Where would I attach a docking port? 

Might be easier to make the top hatch a variant if it's going to cause problems with docking ports.

Don't worry. The top node is still there ;)

I'm really pleased to see that SQUAD is exploiting the part variant system to its full potential, especially with mesh and model switching. The Mk2 Lander Can and its butterstick rover cabin variant is an excellent demonstration of this feature.

On the subject of rovers, would it be possible to add crab steering as an option for rover wheels?

4 minutes ago, sumghai said:

On the subject of rovers, would it be possible to add crab steering as an option for rover wheels?

Don't rover wheels already do this by default? Or do you mean front and rear steering to provide somewhat-lateral movement?

Two things.

1) Does the “bare” version have a node on its back, so that other modules can be stacked behind it, forming a rover body?

2) Navball orientation. Upwards or forwards? Is it different for “lander” and “rover” variants? Maybe it can be toggled?

29 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Don't rover wheels already do this by default? Or do you mean front and rear steering to provide somewhat-lateral movement?

The current rover wheels are all-wheel Ackermann-style steering, which would always leave a non-trivial amount of turning radii.

Crab steering, on the other hand, would allow rovers to move fully-laterally in any direction relative the the cabin.

Here's an old suggestion thread I made regarding this:

33 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Love the idea of it doubling as a rover cockpit.

That new front window is hideous on the lander can though. 

32 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I agree, although it can double as large windows for like a space cruiser or something

It's a lander pod with no downward visibility.

Not a very good lander, in that case.

Other than that, it looks alright? the new hatch is weird.

Also... you guys said "it has service bays."

5lbbr59.png

Are these doors, then? 

Do they open/close like on the other service bays?

Do they occlude their contents?

Edited by Lupi

1 hour ago, UomoCapra said:

Don't worry. The top node is still there ;)

Okay, usually I'm griefing because I'm only seeing stuff from the art team BUT, I really like this one.
I have a suggestion, from noting the top hatch:
Can we get a hatch on the bottom just like it? Or at least when the top node is occupied?

I absolutely love the new slimmed down option. 

***FINALLY AFTER YEARS OF WAITING, A NON-CIRCULAR STOCK POD!!!!!!***

So yeah, looks decent, and it finally will give me a good looking capital ship bridge assuming the cockpit orientation is right (please make the circular one have current control axis, and the rover model have the axis similar to teh newly redone rovemate thing so that it controls right when put on a vehicle (or capital ship).

4 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

@RoverDude is it just me, or that bare variant looks suspiciously like Karibou cockpit? 

The Karibou cockpit front has a rounded hull with smaller windows that are also contoured to the pressure-vessel hull and feature much larger structural member segments between the window panels... something that you'd expect from a pressure-vessel.

2 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

The Karibou cockpit front has a rounded hull with smaller windows that are also contoured to the pressure-vessel hull and feature much larger structural member segments between the window panels... something that you'd expect from a pressure-vessel.

True, but it only needs to hold 1 atm pressure difference, so... maybe it’s fine that the can has sharp edges and thin window bars? But it certainly wouldn’t hurt if it was more rounded and sturdy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.