Is there an option to use something other than IMGUR?

Dunbaratu

If I want to post a screenshot in the forums, is there a means to do so that doesn't depend on using IMGUR to do it?  Are there any other supported hosting sites?

I'm really not a fan of IMGUR because of how invasive their ads are.  I understand the need for ad revenue, but in IMGUR's case the ads they hosted were being allowed to run very questionable javascript inside their <div> sections that does things like pop-unders, and stealing keyboard-focus away from the textarea I was trying to type into when a new banner ad cycles into the page.)   Yes I could ad-block because of fear of malware, but I figure I shouldn't have to be *fighting against* the site that's using my eyeballs for revenue.  I just decided to delete my account from IMGUR entirely to avoid the temptation to go back.

But that makes for a problem in these forums because now I lost a lot of the images from some of my posts, like the kOS screenshots and the LaserDist screenshots on the first post of those mod threads.  Is there anything else, other than IMGUR, that this site supports?

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Links from just about any picture hosting site should do. There's no requirement to use Imgur. 

In the forum's WYSIWYG editor, clicking the image icon opens a popup that says "IMGUR album" requiring an IMGUR album code, instead of a complete URL where you could go to another site entirely.  That's what I meant.

Edited by Steven Mading

24 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

In the forum's WYSIWYG editor, clicking the image icon opens a popup that says "IMGUR album" requiring an IMGUR album code, instead of a complete URL where you could go to another site entirely.  That's what I meant.

The imgur album feature is broken anyway and since I'm active in this forum, I haven't seen a single properly embedded imgur album.

I would suggest to add just a direct link for each image, usually they will be embedded automatically and imgur is not required for this to work :)

32 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The imgur album feature is broken anyway and since I'm active in this forum, I haven't seen a single properly embedded imgur album.

I would suggest to add just a direct link for each image, usually they will be embedded automatically and imgur is not required for this to work :)

But where is this?  If this was still markdown, I'd be expecting an answer like "you type

[img=url]

I guess the way to phrase it with the WYSIWYG editor is "which button is it"?  I looked over the whole row and none of them have hovertext that says something like "image" or "picture".

edit: I give up.  That is nothing even remotely like what I typed, but the editor keeps changing what I wrote even when in a CODE section, it STILL overwrites what I wrote.

Edited by Steven Mading
stupid editor keeps thinking it knows what I meant to type instead of letting me just literaly type it

1 hour ago, Steven Mading said:

But where is this?  If this was still markdown, I'd be expecting an answer like "you type

[img=url]

I guess the way to phrase it with the WYSIWYG editor is "which button is it"?  I looked over the whole row and none of them have hovertext that says something like "image" or "picture".

edit: I give up.  That is nothing even remotely like what I typed, but the editor keeps changing what I wrote even when in a CODE section, it STILL overwrites what I wrote.

There are actually multiple options to link a picture:
1) Just post the link and it should be embedded automatically
2) If no. 1 doesn't work, click on 'insert other media' in the lower right corner and pick 'insert image from URL'
3) Type some text, select it and click the 'Link' button in the top left corner. Paste the link to the image there and you get a link to your image like this
4) If you actually want to type something, try this:

[IMG]http://link-to-your-image.jpg[/IMG ]

(Note: there is one additional space in front of the last bracket so it the forum doesn't mess up the text)
The image should be embedded as well by using this method.

If this still doesn't answer your question, I'm afraid I misunderstood you.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

The forum automatically embeds images if you just paste the url. It also embeds YouTube videos and links to posts. Try it, it's pretty cool.

Here's an image from the post above mine's signature. I just copied the url and pasted it.

smNkSA7.pngk

And here's my latest KSP YouTube video, again just pasting the url when viewing it:

And finally, your post:

EDIT: I agree with you that the WYSIWYG part of the editor is bad (though better than it used to be). However, I've come to really like the automatic inserting of images, videos and posts.

Edited by 5thHorseman

@Steven Mading

I personally use Dropbox. Have had it since I bought a phone and got free extra storage (highly excessive for my requirements - the free service is just enough), so I just continued it.

The trick is to replace in the link url they gave you 'www.dropbox.com' to 'dl.dropboxusercontent.com' and it'll appear as a direct download link (which appears as images in browsers that support it, and this forum accepts like other images in the internet) rather than a link to the dropbox file in their interface.

There are others to use as well : google drives and other cloud services, other hosting services, other forums (please avoid this, unless the owner is somehow cool with it), heck you can even upload images in Discord and link them externally.

Edited by YNM

13 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

That's not an image icon. It's labeled "Imgur album" and appears to be one of the work-arounds left over from a previous generation of forum moderators in their continual battle to keep Imgur albums working despite Imgur's updates repeatedly breaking them. It doesn't appear to work anymore and can probably be removed. 

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

The forum automatically embeds images if you just paste the url. It also embeds YouTube videos and links to posts. Try it, it's pretty cool.

Here's an image from the post above mine's signature. I just copied the url and pasted it.

smNkSA7.pngk

And here's my latest KSP YouTube video, again just pasting the url when viewing it:

And finally, your post:

EDIT: I agree with you that the WYSIWYG part of the editor is bad (though better than it used to be).

Just putting in a URL with no markup?  Okay I'll try that next time.  Thanks for the advice.  As for the WYSIWYG "part of" the editor, what I wish I could do sometimes is just suppress it entirely, but I'm not sure how to do that.  When I try to type some markup with square brackets, for example, even when I try to avoid the WYSIWYG stuff, it still keeps asserting itself, hijacking what I typed and altering it.

11 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

[IMG]http://link-to-your-image.jpg[/IMG ]

That is exactly what I typed in my above post.  The problem is the broken editor refused to keep what I typed literal and instead it edited it into what you see in my post.  EVEN when typing into the code popup which is for the express purpose of letting me type something literal, it STILL asserted itself and altered what I typed.  That was why I was getting so frustrated.

I suspect part of the problem is that too much of the editor is now on the client side in Javascript, and they probably don't bother testing that across platforms.  I get far more problems when using Firefox than Chrome, but I don't trust using a browser from a company that uses spying as its main revenue stream, so I still stick with Firefox and pay for it with donations.

Edited by Steven Mading

7 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

@4x4cheesecake I was just editing my post and hitting submit as your thumbs-up arrived at the same moment.  Just a friendly reminder that you might want to re-read it in case the thumbs-up referred to the previous content, not this content.

:D

Yeah, that's the risk of hitting the like button: The one day, you liked a post about butterflies, the next day it is edited to a YT link, showing the 'TOP 10 CLICKBAITS"^^
Thanks for pointing out your edit, fortunately this is the most friendly community on earth so I don't worry too much about it ;) (And your edit still looks fine, I just don't have anything else to contribute which I can consider to be constructive, so take my like instead^^)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake
removed political content

Just putting in a URL with no markup?

Yup. Also you can ping someone by typing an at symbol and their name. Caveat: You MUST type the name and then click it on the list. No shortcuts for you @Steven Mading

As for the WYSIWYG "part of" the editor, what I wish I could do sometimes is just suppress it entirely, but I'm not sure how to do that.  When I try to type some markup with square brackets, for example, even when I try to avoid the WYSIWYG stuff, it still keeps asserting itself, hijacking what I typed and altering it.

Yeah those [ ] codes are a bit of a hack they put in there so posts from the old forums would look slightly less terrible. And no there is no way to suppress it entirely, or even at all. The forum from does what the forum wants.

20 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Back on the phpBB or whatever the last generation of forum software was, there was a time during which albums worked.

Then they broke. And then they were fixed. And then broken again. And fixed again. And… you get the idea.

7 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Back on the phpBB or whatever the last generation of forum software was, there was a time during which albums worked.

Then they broke. And then they were fixed. And then broken again. And fixed again. And… you get the idea.

But when they worked it was glorious.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:31 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

1) Just post the link and it should be embedded automatically
2) If no. 1 doesn't work, click on 'insert other media' in the lower right corner and pick 'insert image from URL'

Unless you want to bury the image in a text link, there really isn't a need to go beyond this.    If the image has a web address attached to it, you can post it.    If you are on almost any site, you can usually right click and get the "copy image address" choice.    Of course, some places do overlay a clear image in top of copyrighted stuff, so you can't easily get to the one you want, but that's pretty rare these days.    

28 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Unless you want to bury the image in a text link, there really isn't a need to go beyond this.    If the image has a web address attached to it, you can post it.    If you are on almost any site, you can usually right click and get the "copy image address" choice.    Of course, some places do overlay a clear image in top of copyrighted stuff, so you can't easily get to the one you want, but that's pretty rare these days.    

The forum can get kinda picky about ěrtain domains sometimes, so it's good to have an option which will force the parsing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.