Deployable Air Brakes on a Command Pod

I've been flirting with the idea of working on a suicide lander command pod. No parachutes. Just a small reserve of solid fuel with high ASL SRB mini deployable engines for the final suicide touch down. It would also house a deployable airbrake to aerobrake in the lower atmosphere.

How would i go about increasing the drag value for the pod when the  air brakes are deployed? Iv'e looked at cfg files for the stock air brake and also the grid fins from the re usable parts mod and i can't seem to figure it out. Also, do imported animations from blender affect the actual mesh when deployed? As in the case of the storage containers and landing gear. It would seem that there are two drag cube values for a deployed state and stowed state. Any pointers to the proper cfg modules would be great.

@Dundrogen The airbrakes are controlled by the ModuleAeroSurface, in which you specify how far to deploy it and how much drag it creates when deployed, etc. In the airbrakes config, the ModuleFxLookAtConstraint is just to animate the piston part, so no animations in blender needed for this. As for the drag cubes, you just paste them into the config (make 2 parts, 1 in the retracted position and one in the deployed position, then go to the PartDatabase file in your KSP folder and copy and paste each of those drag cubes into your config.

8 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@Dundrogen The airbrakes are controlled by the ModuleAeroSurface, in which you specify how far to deploy it and how much drag it creates when deployed, etc. In the airbrakes config, the ModuleFxLookAtConstraint is just to animate the piston part, so no animations in blender needed for this. As for the drag cubes, you just paste them into the config (make 2 parts, 1 in the retracted position and one in the deployed position, then go to the PartDatabase file in your KSP folder and copy and paste each of those drag cubes into your config.

Thanks for the info @Bottle Rocketeer 500 I'll have a go at this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.