New Reentry system found?

Kroslev Kerman

i just found out you can make automatic reentry systems(like point ____ amount of degrees)but i have never seen any youtubers do it not even Mark Thrimm in his SSTO space program

How to do it

Probe core and rotate it -amount of degrees and control from it and press prograde and it should point that amount of degrees(but it wont be a -degrees)

Edited by Kroslev Kerman

1 hour ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

i just found out you can make automatic reentry systems(like point ____ amount of degrees)but i have never seen any youtubers do it not even Mark Thrimm in his SSTO space program

How to do it

Probe core and rotate it -amount of degrees and control from it and press prograde and it should point that amount of degrees(but it wont be a -degrees)

I'll try this out, now that I know about it 

4 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

What a nice idea to point the ship into a specific direction :)

I guess, there are a few cases where this can be useful but during reentry? Where's the advantage of just burning retrograde until your Pe hits the atmosphere/ground? To hold a specific AoA while rushing through the upper atmosphere?

During re-entry, the Space Shuttle had its nose pitched up 40 degrees, and it is quite hard to keep a KSP shuttle stable at 40 degree pitch. If you use the 'angled probe core' exploit then you can just control from the probe core and have SAS hold prograde, keeping you pitched up.

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

During re-entry, the Space Shuttle had its nose pitched up 40 degrees, and it is quite hard to keep a KSP shuttle stable at 40 degree pitch. If you use the 'angled probe core' exploit then you can just control from the probe core and have SAS hold prograde, keeping you pitched up.

Well, I've done quiet a few shuttle flights in KSP but I almost never had any isues to hold a specific AoA during reentry, just by using the stability control. And if I had any issues, this was caused by the lack of RCS / reaction wheels, which would still be an issue, even when using a rotated probe core.

I'll give it a try anyway, I'm curious if there is actually a difference ;)

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

What a nice idea to point the ship into a specific direction :)

I guess, there are a few cases where this can be useful but during reentry? Where's the advantage of just burning retrograde until your Pe hits the atmosphere/ground? To hold a specific AoA while rushing through the upper atmosphere?

what if you have a spaceplane/ship with a low twr. you cant do the thing that most people do(burn by the dessert and trajectory just passes the island runway)and also you have low G forces

you can also use this if you lazy XD

Edited by Kroslev Kerman

3 minutes ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

what if you have a spaceplane/ship with a low twr. you cant do the thing that most people do(burn by the dessert and trajectory just passes the island runway)and also you have low G forces

I would suggest to start the retrograde burn earlier, split it or even use a maneuvernode and . In my experience, most spaceplanes/shuttles require an individual descend path and you have to figure out the timing for the retrograde burn and where to aim.

Personally, I just stopped building ships with such a low twr becasue I got annoyed by the long burn times^^

2 hours ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

yeah but most spaceplanes are wide to dispert the heat

I've had plenty of issues with bringing Mk2 spaceplanes back to base without using hard burns over the desert.  I hate the design of the inline cockpit, or more accurately the options for creating a nose cone for it, and the standard cockpit has a lot of issues with heat dissipation.  Trajectories always had issues calculating the impact point so shorter flights through atmo were preferred for that too.

I only really found offsetting my probe core/docking port to work on standard Mk3 shuttles.  My other spaceplanes always lacked control authority to actually maintain attitude during reentry without my input, certainly above the horizon, but never quite prograde at 10-15 degrees inclination.  

Edited by overkill13

On 11/3/2018 at 10:09 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

That would only work if your reaction wheels were strong enough, but if they were that strong you could put the plane where you wanted it any way without another probe core. Plus controlling from an off centre probe core pointing at a funny angle will do all sorts of weird stuff to the control surfaces.

This method has some novelty, and people do similar things to control a vtol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.