does KSP support dual CPU?

Kroslev Kerman

i was wondering 1 day does kerbal space program support dual CPUs because my computer has dual CPUs and KSP is lagging with SSRSS(stock size Real solar system in 1.5 it works in 1.5)if you wanna know my Computer information here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/50766275282360085/508444012080922644/stuff.PNG

Edited by Kroslev Kerman

1 hour ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

idk whats wrong

There are like 4 specs that matter.  CPU  model/speed, memory capacity, GPU, and operating system.  Just type them in here.

KSP can utilize multiple cores/threads, but it's primarily single threaded.  So a 16 core CPU won't really see any improvement over a 2 or 4 core if the single thread performance is about the same.

I use a cmd file to open my KSP on 1 CPU and it lags a lot less.  I also turned off multi threading and I think my PC preforms about 10% better in my RP-0 RSS install but I do not have any hard numbers.

43 minutes ago, Nich said:

I use a cmd file to open my KSP on 1 CPU and it lags a lot less.  I also turned off multi threading and I think my PC preforms about 10% better in my RP-0 RSS install but I do not have any hard numbers.

That appears to be a special case where the mb/bios is using adaptable OC.

The OC range increases when you turn off cores and/or disables MT.

But it's only applicable for certain CPUs and specific software.

KSP does use multiple cores in general, but it can't split a vessel over several threads.

@Curveball Anders I don't think so.  I do have an adaptive clock that is supposed to go up to 3.1 ghz but it always seems to sit at 2.112 ghz.  Yes I have 16 cores, 32 if multi threading.  And yes multi threading does take up extra overhead.  When I run multi threaded my main (highest) core only uses about 35% but without multi threading it uses 45%.  I am buried in the yellow with a 10:50 launch taking 22:20 real time.  It was more like 30 minutes with multi thread (anecdotal).  Increasing the physics time scale to max got it down to 18:42 seconds but the game just doesn't feel smooth like that.  I might leave or go back half way or something.  I tried setting KSPs priority to "realtime" and "high" but that didn't seem to do anything.

With the risk of talking about things I have no  lear knowledge... Could it be that Unity does but KSP doesn’t? So whenever  KSP farms out calculations to Unity things will run multi-threaded but the code inside KSP is single-threaded? Would that even be a thing?

2 hours ago, Nich said:

I don't think so.  I do have an adaptive clock that is supposed to go up to 3.1 ghz but it always seems to sit at 2.112 ghz.  Yes I have 16 cores, 32 if multi threading.

That's a really low clock speed. Go in manually and crank it. Lots of physics calculations are going on behind the scenes in KSP, and those calculations rapidly scale with part count of the ship. 

You'll find that gaming is much more reliant on a high throughput high clock speed processor than on number of cores. The only real benefit to multicore processors for gaming is forcing it to launch separate applications of separate processors. Beyond that, serious multicore processors dont really help and often perform worse since they typically run at lower clock speeds.

There's a reason the 2600k i7 from 2010 is still fully capable of playing top end games to this day and is pretty comparable to a current gen i5. The darn thing overclocks to stupid levels without frying itself.

Edited by ZL647

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

With the risk of talking about things I have no  lear knowledge... Could it be that Unity does but KSP doesn’t? So whenever  KSP farms out calculations to Unity things will run multi-threaded but the code inside KSP is single-threaded? Would that even be a thing?

Generally speaking, what you see with a minimal rocket (perhaps just a solid booster plus capsule) will have the same Squad-written overhead as a large and complex rocket.  The extra physics and rendering of the complex rocket is done entirely in Unity.  So it doesn't appear that making the non-Unity parts of KSP would really improve anything (unless they re-wrote the entire physics engine, presumably to use 64 bit floats).

Unity calls are what slows down the machine, and the degree that unity can use the second (or more) processor determines how fast KSP will run.

8 minutes ago, ZL647 said:

There's a reason the 2600k i7 from 2010 is still fully capable of playing top end games to this day and is pretty comparable to a current gen i5. The darn thing overclocks to stupid levels without frying itself.

Yep... pretty much.

I'm actually running a 2500k (have two of them in different comps), that have been running OC'd to 4.5ghz on all 4 cores, for... how many years now? (idk when it was released, but I was an early adopter within the first few months)  They were an absolute beast when first released, and are still very capable today when OC'd.  Its just in the past year or two that the newer chips might keep up or do better at their stock timings.

12 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Yep... pretty much.

I'm actually running a 2500k (have two of them in different comps), that have been running OC'd to 4.5ghz on all 4 cores, for... how many years now? (idk when it was released, but I was an early adopter within the first few months)  They were an absolute beast when first released, and are still very capable today when OC'd.  Its just in the past year or two that the newer chips might keep up or do better at their stock timings.

I've got an i5-3570K 3.4GHz.
Automagically OC'd to 4.1 by my Asus P8X77.

Rock solid, takes torture stress test to even wind up the fans :)

So ready to hear something really funny.  I installed a new power supply, 1000w from 750w, and it reduced my launch time from 18:45ish to 16:20ish (10:20 in game time).  I officially do not understand how computers work lol

Edited by Nich

12 hours ago, Nich said:

So ready to hear something really funny.  I installed a new power supply, 1000w from 750w, and it reduced my launch time from 18:45ish to 16:20ish (10:20 in game time).  I officially do not understand how computers work lol

Your old PSU may have been defective or dying, providing less power than it should, and your CPU was being starved and therefore throttling itself back.  So it's not necessarily that you went from 750 to 1000 (depending on your other hardware), but that you replaced an out of spec PSU.

Probably a combination of a lot of things.  Part picker had me at 739w with everything maxed.  No idea what was needed on the 3, 5 and 12 volt rails and what the power supply could supply.  Didn't think you could starve a processor without blue screening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.