Mod List Generator

RocketSquid

I don't recall if this works the exact same way on Windows, but on MacOS I can open the Gamedata folder, Select All, Copy, then Paste that into a text document and it'll turn into a list of the folder names.

Another option would be to install the full-fat version of AVC, which would report on everything that has a .version file.

And of course there's always opening KSP.log and copying the list of loaded mods from there. Open the file in your text editor of choice and search for Mod DLLs Found; you'll have a list of all the add-ons that use DLLs first, then all the folders within Gamedata follows directly behind. Of course not every mod uses a dll, and some share common folders, but that's about as close as you'll get to everything with minimal effort needed to fill in any missing details.

The list of JH4C pretty much sums up all possibilities. There is one more option if you got all the mods through CKAN since you can export your mod list as a plain text or .ckan file. The latter one also allows you to import the list for a different KSP install which is pretty comfortable if you got some 'default' mods ;)

Another option is to look at the KSP.log.  Near the top of every run it will list all the mod DLLs it finds, and all the mod folders it finds. This should get a slightly better listing than listing the GameData folder.

A third option is to copy-paste from the KSP-AVC window if you're running the full version of that - however, that will ignore any mods that don't have .version files.

2 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

That is the case for me, hence my question.

I have about 30 mods, but I've got a word document that I add a mod name to every time I download a new mod to keep track of things

51 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I have about 30 mods, but I've got a word document that I add a mod name to every time I download a new mod to keep track of things

Dang, that's a good idea. When I inevitably have to remake my modpack from scratch (it's having some really weird issues right now) I'll keep that in mind. My previous one was like 100 and I had to make a spreadsheet to keep it updated.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Most. But not all.  There are some authors who put all their mods under a single directory in GameData

That's what the '/s' option is for, isn't it? To list all the subfolders as well. Everything should be in this file but probably not the best format to work with.

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

That's what the '/s' option is for, isn't it? To list all the subfolders as well. Everything should be in this file but probably not the best format to work with.

The "/a:d" option tels dir to list only directories, not the files on them!

15 minutes ago, Lisias said:

The "/a:d" option tels dir to list only directories, not the files on them!

Yes, I just tried to say: It doesn't matter if a mod author puts their mods into a single subfolder of GameData, this command will still list all of them since the /s option will list every single subfolder. Probably the only mod which will not be listed would be ModuleManager.

For example:

• TriggerTech
    • TransferWindowPlaner
    • KerbalAlarmClock

Should be listed totally fine.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

True.  I was reading on my phone, missed that.  But then you have a very messy output, lots of unnecessary lines

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

True.  I was reading on my phone, missed that.  But then you have a very messy output, lots of unnecessary lines

But yet, it's better than not having any.

Showing the DLLs would miss the DLL-less mods. Showing the .version file would miss the ones that don't use it. Showing the .CFG files is suicidal at this point! :D

3 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Probably the only mod which will not be listed would be ModuleManager.

MM , at this point, should be considered as standard. I can't think a KSP installment without it. :) 

11 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

10 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Dang, that's a good idea. When I inevitably have to remake my modpack from scratch (it's having some really weird issues right now) I'll keep that in mind. My previous one was like 100 and I had to make a spreadsheet to keep it updated.

I keep a spreadsheet of the mods I have (installed and not installed), the currently installed version, and a link to the forum thread so I don't have to hunt it down every time I update.

58 minutes ago, razark said:

I keep a spreadsheet of the mods I have (installed and not installed), the currently installed version, and a link to the forum thread so I don't have to hunt it down every time I update.

This is a great idea... Going to do this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.