[1.9.x] ConsistentVariants 1.2 - Fixes inconsistent variant naming system and automatically applies variants as you place parts. (31/08/2019)

severedsolo

giphy.gif

I love the new variant system, but by god, there are some problems with the naming system.

For example: This is a "White" tank:

Spoiler

EwpyVJ8.jpg

This is the same tank in "Black and White"

Spoiler

Gv3aX2k.jpg

So, I made some changes.

What does this mod do?

• Well, FIRSTLY it fixes situations like those above. All Stock Parts with Variants (including Making History parts) have been sorted into "Themes" (not to be confused with the Themes in the Advanced Editor Screen, these are more like "Categories" that each paintjob fits into) - no matter what the Variant is actually called it will be relabled to one that makes sense. For example, in the above screenshots, the top one is now "Black and White" and the second is "BW Horizontal" (necessary because Squad don't seem to be able to decide whether black and white parts should have horizontal or vertical stripes, so I've split them into two different themes).
  • SECONDLY - Once you've selected the "Theme" you want to play with (by selecting your variant from the menu as you always would) - this mod will automatically repaint any subsequent parts you've placed to match that theme (this can be turned off by clicking the "artist pallette" button on the toolbar). With a couple of caveats. 
Spoiler

1) If you select a new theme, it won't update parts that have already been placed automatically. I assume that you've selected that variant for a reason, and will respect your choice. If you do wish to repaint one/all your parts, that option is available in the PAW by right clicking on any part.

2) If the part doesn't have a variant that matches the currently selected theme, it will just leave it alone.

3) Some parts that have variants will be left alone anyway, because they don't really fit any of the themes/can be used on any craft.

• THIRDLY - It supports Missing History by Snark out of the box. As Missing History uses stock variants, it was easy to incorporate it into the existing themes.
  • FOURTHLY - It's Mod friendly. Mods that incorporate variants, should mostly work out of the box as long as they have named their variants sensibly. If they haven't, it's easy to set up your own themes - I even wrote a plugin that does 99% of the work for you. (see modders information below for more)
  • FIFTHLY - If you don't like my choices for the themes, they are easily changed. Everything is stored in config files, so can be edited either directly, or by ModuleManager patch (see modders information below for more)

License: MIT

Source: Github

Soft Dependency: Module Manager (it will still work, but applying variants to parts retroactively won't)

DOWNLOAD HERE

Donate to my coffee fund

Information for Modders Who want to include support for ConsistentVariants

Spoiler

All themes are defined in a config node. I HIGHLY recommend that you use CVConfigCreator (License MIT) to create your configs. If used correctly, it will generate a complete set of config nodes for all your parts with variants, and all you will need to do is define the theme. If you do not want a part to have a theme, you can just put N/A and ConsistentVariants will ignore it (I do not recommend deleting the node, because CVConfigCreator will just recreate them next time you run it).

CVCONFIG CREATOR IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED FOR GENERAL USE - It will run every time you enter the editor, it's only designed to quickly generate a set of config nodes.

An example node looks like this:

CONSISTENT_VARIANT
{
	PartName = fairingSize1 //the name of the part as defined in your part cfg
	PartDisplayName = AE-FF1 Airstream Protective Shell (1.25m) //Not used anywhere, but included for my sanity when writing these configs
	VARIANT
	{
		VariantName = White //The name of the variant as defined in the part cfg
		DisplayName = White //Not used anywhere, but included for my sanity when writing these configs
		Theme = White //You can either use a theme that's already defined, or create your own, it doesn't matter. 
					  //What's important is that variants that should go together have the same Theme name. 
					  //Use N/A if you don't want it to be auto-applied ever.
	}
}
//Multiple Variants and themes can be defined for each part by using additional VARIANT nodes.

Edited by severedsolo

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I totally remember liking this idea tremendously, but somehow never included it in a game's mod list --- likely because my usual habit is to add a bunch of mods, feel disappointed with the game's performance, lose interest for a bit, squad releases a new version, lather, rinse, repeat... :) I promise to try this out!

2 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

I totally remember liking this idea tremendously, but somehow never included it in a game's mod list --- likely because my usual habit is to add a bunch of mods, feel disappointed with the game's performance, lose interest for a bit, squad releases a new version, lather, rinse, repeat... :) I promise to try this out!

I mean, I know I'm blowing my own trumpet here, but IMO this is the greatest mod I ever made.

Do you have any idea how satisfying it is to select the "black and white" variant, and all the parts are ACTUALLY black and white?

Just now, Stone Blue said:

Really?...
*...then why isnt it listed in your signature?...* :thonkery:
:lol:

Because I need to rearrange my signature :P

What I'm going to do when I release a couple more mods I don't know! I'm running out of room.

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I mean, I know I'm blowing my own trumpet here, but IMO this is the greatest mod I ever made.

Do you have any idea how satisfying it is to select the "black and white" variant, and all the parts are ACTUALLY black and white?

It’s how I initially EXPECTED the variants to work tbh!

• 5 months later...

Consistent Variants 1.2 Released

• Add Configs for all parts added since Breaking Ground came out
  • Fixed some issues with configs that were listed as "Missing History" but have since been replaced with Stock Variants instead.
  • Recompile against KSP 1.9 / .Net 4.8
Edited by severedsolo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.