a couple questions about modding

putnamto

ok, so how would i go about altering the contents of a mod to make broken parts of it work again?

i dont know if this is the place to ask this, or if its even acceptable to ask this, but theirs a part to a mod that i love that has never worked right.

in the KIS fun parts pack at first none of the fun parts were equipable, i made a post in its corresponding topic and the mod author kindly told me how to help myself, a little light reading and some changing of words in a config file and i was good to go.

on to the part that i need help with, the boombox, it will not play the music, it never has even back when i was playing 1.3, i figured it would be as easy as a fix as the equip problem, so i get into the config file and change point the sndPath line towards the file that i assumed was the music, but it still doesnt work.

the original cfg file looked like this

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleKISItemSoundPlayer
    shortcutKeyAction = equip
    equipable = true
    equipMode = part
    equipSlot = leftHand
    equipMeshName = body01
    equipBoneName = bn_l_mid_a01
    equipPos = (-0.12,-0.02,0)
    equipDir = (90,90,0)
    loop = true
    sndPath = KIS/Parts.fun/fun_ghettoblaster/ghettoBlaster1
    allowPartAttach = Disabled
}

}

and with the changes i made it, it looks like this

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleKISItemSoundPlayer
    shortcutKeyAction = equip
    equipable = true
    equipMode = part
    equipSlot = leftHand
    equipMeshName = body01
    equipBoneName = aliasLeftPalm
    equipPos = (-0.12,-0.02,0)
    equipDir = (90,90,0)
    loop = true
    sndPath = KIS.fun_parts_pack\fun_ghettoblaster\ghettoblaster1
    allowPartAttach = Disabled
}

}

pardon me, if this is frowned upon, or to far beyond my feeble mind, im just trying to gain some knowledge here and get my stuff to work the way it was intended, and i kinda figured i was being a burden by constantly asking the mod dev's to fix things, you know teach a man to fish yadda yadda.

and the second question, sometimes when im downloading mods for manual install, sometimes the dependencies have the same name as the parent mod, so how do i go about copying these to my gamedata? i dont have a real world example right now, so heres one i made up. say Putnamto's visual mod needs EVE as a dependency, so i download both Putnamto's visual mod, and the EVE mod, but when i go about copying the contents of their gamedata folders i get this

the folder structure for putnamto's visual mod
Putnamto's visual mod>Gamedata>EVE

then the folder structure for EVE
Environmental visual enhancements>Gamedata>EVE

i know these are made of files in my head, but its just an example ive run into a few times when downloading visual mods manually, what do i do in a situation like that?

17 hours ago, putnamto said:

sometimes the dependencies have the same name as the parent mod, so how do i go about copying these to my gamedata?

The dependencies never share the same name as the parent mod. However, the point of dependencies is that many things use them to make things work more easily, and so you'll find the same folders in multiple downloads. In your example above it sounds like you're unnecessarily downloading EVE as it's already included in the other download.

A more accurate real-world example: Nertea's Near Future Technologies add-ons. Inside all of them will be a Gamedata folder (as is standard), and inside that will be the specific folder for that mod (let's say this one's called "NearFutureCandyDispensers") as well as "B9PartSwitch" and "NearFutureProps" which are required dependencies. If you already have another of Nertea's addons, such as NearFutureSolar or StationPartsExpansionRedux, they will have already installed the same dependencies - so what you need to do is see if the copy you have installed is newer than the one that came with the add-on being installed. In this example "NearFutureCandyDispensers" is an older mod, and the dependencies you already have installed are much newer, so  you only need to install the main folder and can ignore the others.

If you know how to merge folders on your operating system, that'll usually put everything in the right place. Alternatively, you might find it easier still to use CKAN, which will do all the worrying about dependency location for you.

20 hours ago, JH4C said:

The dependencies never share the same name as the parent mod. However, the point of dependencies is that many things use them to make things work more easily, and so you'll find the same folders in multiple downloads. In your example above it sounds like you're unnecessarily downloading EVE as it's already included in the other download.

A more accurate real-world example: Nertea's Near Future Technologies add-ons. Inside all of them will be a Gamedata folder (as is standard), and inside that will be the specific folder for that mod (let's say this one's called "NearFutureCandyDispensers") as well as "B9PartSwitch" and "NearFutureProps" which are required dependencies. If you already have another of Nertea's addons, such as NearFutureSolar or StationPartsExpansionRedux, they will have already installed the same dependencies - so what you need to do is see if the copy you have installed is newer than the one that came with the add-on being installed. In this example "NearFutureCandyDispensers" is an older mod, and the dependencies you already have installed are much newer, so  you only need to install the main folder and can ignore the others.

If you know how to merge folders on your operating system, that'll usually put everything in the right place. Alternatively, you might find it easier still to use CKAN, which will do all the worrying about dependency location for you.

ok, maybe you can clarify this for me?

i downloaded astronomers visual pack, and it says you need to get a texture file, so i got the 2k texture

AstronomersVisualPack>EVE now inside of eve their was a bunch of .cfg files.

the 2k texture folder had
AstronomersVisualPack>EVE>Textures.

so i moved the textures folder from the 2k texture download into the EVE folder inside of the AstronomersVisualPack folder.

so now it looks like KSP>gamedata>AstronomersVisualPack>EVE>textures

did i do that correctly? because im seeing some weird graphic anomolies sometimes and it doesnt quite look like it does in the videos or pictures from that topic post.

No idea, I don't use either pack. It should be in their instructions as to whether those EVE .cfg files should go in the main EVE folder or in the AstronomersVisualPack folder; generally you don't want to be moving stuff around unless explicitly told to do so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.