[1.10.1] Duna Direct

bcink

6 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Sorry, I meant DUNA Direct.

Oh well trying without any mods right now. Will post the results.

EDIT: Or not. It seems I deleted clean install. I will probably test it later. But anyway, this mod needs to be updated to 1.10 as with it game simply won't load, even though Module Manager does not throw any warnings or errors.

Edited by Selphadur

6 hours ago, Selphadur said:

Can't seem to load game after 1.10 update. Stuck at loading MD-HeatShield-V2 I believe, or something like that.

Anyone could recompile mod for 1.10 pretty please? :D

I just checked. Something about the particular heatshield (one of two) is disagreeing with the updates to the drag cube system. That's all I can tell.

11 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I just checked. Something about the particular heatshield (one of two) is disagreeing with the updates to the drag cube system. That's all I can tell.

I tested without MD-HeatShield-V2 present (deleted .mu and .cfg files) and then loading got stuck at MD-HeatShield.

EDIT: Deleting both heatshields game loads just fine.

Edited by Selphadur

Confirming the loading problem is with the heatshields.  The new drag cube creation code seems to be causing issues with a number of mods' parts, and a simple recompile doesn't appear to fix the issue (suspecting it is an issue with the .mu files themselves at this point).

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that amazing mod! 

The one improvement I can think of is in-flight tweakables for landing legs for hab leveling after landing.

I might try doing it myself but I've never done anything as complicated ;) Would that be feasible with the BDAdjustableLandingGear module from BD Animation Modules? Is there any example I could use?

Edited by Brimarx

On 6/1/2020 at 6:30 AM, Selphadur said:

Only problem I have is that engines have no sound at all when firing (new or old save - does not matter)! 

This was actually hit-or-miss when testing. I could make no change and the stage 1 would go from having audio on one load while not having it on another, but stage 2 seemed to have lost it all together.

I'm not sure what is driving that but in any case, putting in an audio reference into the effects portion of the config has solved it and we move on.

Things are looking good. Not much in the way of problems at this point and everything looks to check out!

10 hours ago, bcink said:

This was actually hit-or-miss when testing. I could make no change and the stage 1 would go from having audio on one load while not having it on another, but stage 2 seemed to have lost it all together.

I'm not sure what is driving that but in any case, putting in an audio reference into the effects portion of the config has solved it and we move on.

Things are looking good. Not much in the way of problems at this point and everything looks to check out!

Well for me it would not work at all on 1.9.1 version. It would be just silent.

Good to hear that this mod is getting fixed! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Brimarx said:

So for now I'm using the largest adjustable base frame from Station Parts Expansion Redux. It's the right size, works great (inc with the heat shield) and looks good.

Hey, bummer no success. Wasn't trying to ignore you there, just been scurrying around trying to get all my mods updated to current baseline. I took a quick look around earlier and didn't quite find what is needed. Is there anything in existence already that I can use as a reference or copy from even?

Any pic of the current solution? 

No worries at all :)

Kerbal Foundry has adjustable legs, apparently based on KSPWheel. I tries modding the MD legs to use it based on the Kerbal Foundry part but could not figure out how to properly use it since the config attributes are very different from the stock ones. RO has MM files patching the stock legs into Kerbal Foundry legs. That could be used as an example how to convert the legs I guess, but I did have the time to look into properly.

So for now I switched to Station Parts Expansion Redux which has auto-leveling legs in the form of a single part frame attached below the Hab. Here is how it looks:

Before deployment

screenshot307.png

After deployment; the mod auto-levels:

screenshot309.png

Edited by Brimarx

Also, those legs tend to slide a bit. Which is bummer unless when combined with USI-MKS and it's nice tethers :)

Kerbal Foundry legs are closer to the MD legs look, allow horizontal extension (extra stability!!!) and do not slide. But they require manual adjustment.

screenshot310.png

Vertical-only deployment:screenshot311.png

Horizontal deployment:

screenshot312.png

5 minutes ago, Brimarx said:

Also, those legs tend to slide a bit. Which is bummer unless when combined with USI-MKS and it's nice tethers :)

Kerbal Foundry legs are closer to the MD legs look, allow horizontal extension (extra stability!!!) and do not slide. But they require manual adjustment.

Oh sweet. Yeah this is definitely in the *realm* of possibility. I will investigate!

On 11/5/2018 at 4:48 AM, bcink said:

1.10.1 Update Changelog:

All engines mass / thrust balanced (Thanks @JadeOfMaar)

Hi @bcink

I just came back to Kerbal after skipping 1.9 and I am using your great mod again. Still loving it! I do however have a comment about the engines - again - if that is alright. You incorporated Jade's mass and thrust balance, but you left out his ISP suggestions. Was that on purpose or did you just miss it? I think the ISP suggestions are an important part of his balance equation. Right now, all three engines have the same ISPs, which result in the Hellas engine being overpowered again as it is lighter than the stage 1 engine (MIRA LM20) and still having 50% more power without any disadvantages. I believe JadeOfMaar purposely gave it worse ISP values as a trade-off.

• 3 weeks later...

Why does the mod use own variant of resources

DDCarbonDioxide
DDLqdHydrogen

instead of using the CRP resources

CarbonDioxide
LqdHydrogen

to be fully compatible to other mods?

I'm just curious.

Next step would be so make the return engines run with MethaLox, LqdMethane created by the ISRU (even in stock, LqdMethane + Oxidizer).
With this approach only the LqdMethane is created by the ISRU, so Oxidizer needs to be shipped.
Or let it create LqdMethane + Oxidizer, but with RealFuels to be patched to only create LqdMethane and LqdOxygen needs to be shipped.

Edited by Gordon Dry

14 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Why does the mod use own variant of resources

Good question. But that won't be a thing anymore. I will have bcink post an update soon which does away with those.

I've changed the first stage to have a proper CO2 harvester, some tankage for LH2, CO2 and LqdCO2, a converter to freeze CO2 into LqdCO2, and adjusted the main fuel converter (Sabatier)'s resource chain.

vpB0Px5.jpg

14 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Next step would be so make the return engines run with MethaLox, LqdMethane created by the ISRU (even in stock, LqdMethane + Oxidizer).
With this approach only the LqdMethane is created by the ISRU, so Oxidizer needs to be shipped.
Or let it create LqdMethane + Oxidizer, but with RealFuels to be patched to only create LqdMethane and LqdOxygen needs to be shipped.

I will make most of these happen. Technically all except for RealFuels (specifically: any such engine configs) as that's out of my scope as a player.

Also @caipi as I'm here again I'll make very sure that bcink doesn't forget a second time. :D (And I'll be providing some much needed fixes to the hab mod too, as implied in screenshot).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/22/2021 at 9:48 PM, kennyc222 said:

nice mod! May I use Duna Direct on other planets and Moons? I just don't want to use it on one planets only..i want DUna direct to be my swiss knife on space exploration! 

Absolutely, it should have enough dV for most applications =]

On 12/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, Jorge Aerospace said:

This is great! I love the idea and the way it works. One of the best landing part mod I've seen in a long time.

Thanks!!

On 4/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, Nova1 said:

@bcinkThe heatshields seem to not attach to the modules. Is this a known bug?

Not certain what you're encountering. Can you share an image if you haven't figured it out yet?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.