[1.10.1] Duna Direct

bcink

I have like, well over 143 mods installed and it's working with 1.6 just fine. Just a FYI.

**EDIT**
Okay, so, um, nevermind. The fuel for the rockets doesn't work, seems kinda glitchy. Model loads, in IVA the seats are missing, but overall it's a nonfunctional showpiece, but it does separate into its functional parts.

Edited by Drakomis

14 hours ago, Drakomis said:

I have like, well over 143 mods installed and it's working with 1.6 just fine. Just a FYI.

**EDIT**
Okay, so, um, nevermind. The fuel for the rockets doesn't work, seems kinda glitchy. Model loads, in IVA the seats are missing, but overall it's a nonfunctional showpiece, but it does separate into its functional parts.

You are definitely experiencing mod incompatibility. There are multiple fuel definitions happening. For expected use, please follow the compatibility list. I can only support so many mods. If you find which mod outside my list is causing problems I can try and investigate. Thanks

Also for IVA, install near future props.

Thanks

Edited by bcink

43 minutes ago, bcink said:

You are definitely experiencing mod incompatibility. There are multiple fuel definitions happening. For expected use, please follow the compatibility list. I can only support so many mods. If you find which mod outside my list is causing problems I can try and investigate. Thanks

Also for IVA, install near future props.

Thanks

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I have around 140 or so installed, varies as I uninstall or reinstall, so I think you're right. Can you elaborate on fuel definitions? Mods specifically designed around adding a new type of fuel or something? 

It's very beautiful. Yeah and if I do I will, thanks!

Gotcha, I recently uninstalled Near Future so I'll reinstall that set. I mainly use CKAN for my downloads and stuff, yours being an exception obviously.

@bcink So I did some toying around with part switches (the IVA works perfect now, btw), but I found out that the culprit is that for whatever reason, the oxidizer is set to 4.4 on the bottom stage (with the lander legs). So it instantly cuts out after a few seconds. I don't have *any* mod installed that modifies the variable in such a way. The only mod I have installed is one that allows you to switch tank types, and that's it. 

What is the typical fuel level for oxidizer?

**EDIT**

Okay so I toyed around with it more and, lo and behold, it does appear the tank type mod is the culprit. BUT I was able to switch the tank types so that the oxidizer is now setting at 1210.0. Will continue testing to ensure no further issues, but what it looked like was my issue was my own lack of knowledge of the mod I installed.

**EDIT 2**

Yeah, so even though it's got correct fuel levels, and even though when both stages are using fuel at a normal rate, I'm finding that the thrust of those engines (both first and second stage) are extremely low; insufficient to lift it off the ground. If I switch engines around with stock or mod, they work fine, but the mod-included engines just seem low powered. I know for a fact I *don't* have a mod that changes that variable. So, not sure what's causing that.

Edited by Drakomis

**EDIT 2**
Yeah, so even though it's got correct fuel levels, and even though when both stages are using fuel at a normal rate, I'm finding that the thrust of those engines (both first and second stage) are extremely low; insufficient to lift it off the ground. If I switch engines around with stock or mod, they work fine, but the mod-included engines just seem low powered. I know for a fact I *don't* have a mod that changes that variable. So, not sure what's causing that.

Are you using B9 for part switching? There is known breaking issues with that part switch mod, see post below (maybe other part switchers cause issues as well?

4 hours ago, Drakomis said:

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I have around 140 or so installed, varies as I uninstall or reinstall, so I think you're right. Can you elaborate on fuel definitions? Mods specifically designed around adding a new type of fuel or something? 

It's the ISRU patch which allows conversion of "Carbon Dioxide" to "LiquidFuel" and "LiquidHydrogen"   >>> The fuel types used on the craft will change to Liquid Fuel and Liquid Hydrogen when Community Resource Pack is installed.

Edited by bcink

1 hour ago, bcink said:

**EDIT 2**

Are you using B9 for part switching? There is known breaking issues with that part switch mod, see post below (maybe other part switchers cause issues as well?

It's the ISRU patch which allows conversion of "Carbon Dioxide" to "LiquidFuel" and "LiquidHydrogen"   >>> The fuel types used on the craft will change to Liquid Fuel and Liquid Hydrogen when Community Resource Pack is installed.

Yep! That's the culprit. Okay, makes sense now, though I find it odd anything from B9 is causing issues. Dag namit.

Oh well, least I know if I do a fresh install it should work hahaha. Thanks for the help.

14 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

The capsule seems to sink into the water after splashing down at Kerbin. Is there a problem with boyancy?

It's possible. I think the thing is a little massive for water landings though. 

• 4 months later...

Why the hell is it taking me so long to discover these mods?!? why aren't these mods the most popular on the forum. Theyre incredible, they work, and they're beautiful. I hope you continue work on this because i absolutely love it. There are now problems with this mod that i can tell and no errors come up in my log so its a-ok with me. I am so happy I found this mod. and your altair mod. Please please continue your great work. Im not saying that you need to continue this or that it needs updating. What I mean is that you should keep on creating because you make the community better. 

4 hours ago, sp1989 said:

Why the hell is it taking me so long to discover these mods?!? 

Thank you very much for your kind words! Very glad you are enjoying the mods.

I've tried to make some cool things that just seemed to be missing from the game for whatever reason. I certainly plan on getting back into the mods once I finish being on this hiatus. Probably not too much longer, in terms of some weeks or a couple months max. :}

Thanks again!!!

2 minutes ago, bcink said:

I've tried to make some cool things that just seemed to be missing from the game for whatever reason. I certainly plan on getting back into the mods once I finish being on this hiatus. Probably not too much longer, in terms of some weeks or a couple months max. :}

Thanks again!!!

Thats exactly it! These things are missing from the game, even as mods they are missing. Yes you can make something like this with stock parts and other mods. But this is well made and it works so well. Like there are plenty of colonization mods but they're incomplete because may of them dont have transportation systems and means of gettign too and from. I mean I suppose the purpose of the game is create things with the parts you have but mods like this make it fun. I look forward to the future. 

19 hours ago, bcink said:

Thanks again!!!

Are you panning on making a rover to fit in the cargo bay? I feel like with the breaking ground parts it could be more useful than ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

1.8.x is released:

ndJcTE1.jpg

Full readme:

Spoiler

Duna Direct, by bcink
Based on the proposal for "Mars Direct" by Robert Zubrin and David Baker of Martin Marietta, 1990.

Use without mods as stock, or, included patches for all of the below mods:
Module Manager (Required for any other mod compatibility)
Near Future Props - Fully furnished interior
RCS FX - RCS Flame FX by JadeOfMaar auto-on if Module Manager is present. (Remove patch if dislike) (Special thanks JadeOfMaar!!)
Tweakscale - Scaling of all parts
B9 Part Switch - Texture swapping on Stage 2
Real Plume - Better engine FX for all engines
Breaking Ground (Squad) - Inventory space
Near Future Electrical - RTG Decay (Thanks Gordon Dry)
Connected Living Space - Adds passable options
Kerbal Inventory System - Adds KIS inventory space
RealChute - Changes parachute parameters
USI Life Support - Various USI Life Support compatibilities
TAC Life Support - Various TAC Life Support compatibilities
Kerbalism - Full Kerbalism compatibilities
Snacks! - Various Snacks! compatibilities
Remote Tech - Antenna modifications

Confirmed working with the addition of:
Cryo Tanks
Community Resource Pack

Installation:
Extract the contents of the GameData folder to your GameData folder. Structure should then read GameData\MarsDirect\

Play the mission Duna Direct: The First Flight!
Extract the contents of the Missions folder to your Missions folder. Structure should then read Missions\Duna Direct_ The First Flight\
Mission is also available from the Steam Workshop and it's link is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1557258246
Flight plan:
Launch inside 5m expanded fairing
Aim for Duna
Aerobreaking entry at Duna
Heatshield jettison and parachute deployment
Landing gear deployment and reverse thrust
Perform science!
Built-in Sabatier conversion regenerates fuel for return
Repack parachute
Launch for Kerbin
Jettison first stage
Atmospheric re-entry at Kerbin
Parachute deployment and landing
Flight crew:
Pilot for vessel control
Engineer for repacking parachutes
Two scientists for running the science lab

Changelog:

1.8.1 / New Unity

General:
Update and move all parts from Blender 2.7 .blend to Blender 2.8 .fbx 
Import new .fbx files and re-compile all parts for new Unity and KSP 1.8.1
All parts that were using "mesh =" now using "model ="
Adjusted base Tweakscale values
Eliminated B9+Cryotanks+CommunityResourcePack+DunaDirect incompatibility by doing the following:
- Added two resource definitions for DDCarbonDioxide and DDLqdHydrogen
- Mimicked Community Resource Pack definitions for Carbon Dioxide and Liquid Hydrogen
- ISRU now references DDCarbonDioxide and DDLqdHydrogen
- Community Resource Pack no longer required for ISRU functionality

Stage 1:
Patch to add 9x inventory space if Breaking Ground expansion is present
Deepened the hole for Stage 2
Fixed scaling issue with Stage 1 Engines (Thanks JadeOfMaar)
Combined the 3x light modules on Stage 1 into 1x light module
Lowered default starting fuel for Stage 1 (create more using ISRU after landing)
Lowered fuel amounts

Stage 1 Engines:
Lowered thrust values - engines
Increased fuel + oxidizer intake ratios
Engines now use ModuleEnginesFX
Stock and Real Plume FX now move with engine gimbals

Stage 2 Engines:
Lowered thrust values
Increased fuel + oxidizer intake ratios
Lowered max temp
Removed fairing jettison module as there is no fairing to jettison
Engines now user ModuleEnginesFX
Stock and Real Plume FX now move with engine gimbals

Stage 2:
B9 part switch compatibility patch for Return Vehicle (Stage 2) along with 4x textures to choose from:
- Original texture
- Original texture-styled deep-space version
- New re-textured, original-style
- New re-textured, original-style, deep-space version
Added RTG decay when Near Future Electrical is installed (Thanks Gordon Dry)
Adjusted center of mass / lift (Thanks Jso)
Updated Kerbalism configs including science experiments takeover (Thanks Sir Mortimer)
Replaced science experiments with custom experiments
Lowered fuel amounts

Docking Port:
Renamed toggle name to Toggle Nosecone from Toggle Transform (Thanks Mecripp)
Lowered ablator values

1.8 Update New Parts:
Weaver Habitat - Habitat for planetary surface operations. Science lab, cargo bay, spotlights, IVA, RTG, science experiments, side ladder colliders, RTG.
Tharsis Boots - Landing legs for the habitat unit. On placement, habitat is bi-symmetrical and not 4x.
Boreum Sandbags - Sandbags for radiation protection. (Radiation only present with Kerbalism mod - Thanks Sir Mortimer)
Schiaparelli Steps - Deployable ramp and ladder for getting to and from the habitat's airlock from the ground.
Hellas Engines - The retro-firing engines for landing of the habitat unit
Arrakis Interface Antenna - Antenna for the habitat unit to provide communications functions
Olympus Mons Heatshield - Heatshield for the habitat unit. Similar to the Svalin heatshield, but with less space constraints.
Gale RCS Thrusters - RCS thrusters for the habitat unit.
Samara Nosecone - The original nosecone for the Kerbin Return Vehicle, without a docking port or opening lid, but still containing parachutes.

Parts List:
Zubrin Command Pod - Kerbin return vehicle. 20x built-in RCS ports, science lab, science experiments, SAS module, IVA, RTG, lights.
Baker 1st Stage - The large first stage houses a cargo bay and four inset landing legs. Contains bay light and exterior spotlights.
Rudaux Nosecone - Animated nosecone opens to reveal docking port and parachutes. Has ablative shielding for atmospheric entry or re-entry protection.
Marietta Engines - A pair of these engines power the Kerbin Return Vehicle. Very high efficiency. Animated gimbals and emissives.
MIRA LM-20 Engines - Four sets of four advanced MIRA engines power the landing and ascent of the Duna Direct vehicle. Animated gimbals and emissives.
Acidalia Huggers - These collapsible landing legs are a staple design element of the vehicle.
Svalinn Heatshield - Expanding heatshield designed for atmospheric entry and aerobraking. Contains solar panels for extra power generation in flight. Contains 
Elysium Space Stairs - The trusty ladder to climb or descend to and from the Kerbin Return Vehicle while landed.
Alba Mons Talking Stick - Expanding radio antenna which mounts on the front of the Kerbin Return Vehicle.
Duna Direct Flag - Agency flag / decal

Duna Direct is License CC-BY-4.0
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

I just compared the three Engines and I got curious. Are these values intended or did you make an error somewhere?

You have three engines. All have the same ISP values. They only differ in mass and thrust. Engine 1 (Marletta, the smallest) has 50 kN and a mass of 0.25t. Engine 2 (Mira LM 20) has the highest mass compared to its thrust, 100 kN with 2.75t, that's 11x the mass compared to twice the thrust. Engine 3 (Hellas Engine) has 150 kN (the most powerful in your collection) and a mass of 2.75t. The last one at least offers some kick, 3x the punch but still 11x the mass of engine 1. Am I missing something? Engine 2 makes no sense in my opinion in this set. Engine one is overpowered for its mass and thrust (and ISP). If I compare Engine 2 and 3 (both 2nd stage engines), they have the same mass and ISP but engine three offers 50% more thrust than engine two.

2 hours ago, caipi said:

I just compared the three Engines and I got curious. Are these values intended or did you make an error somewhere?

Valid observation. Looks like balancing the engines wasn't my strong point here. Didn't hear of anything direct or specifics like that previously so it was one of the few things I didn't focus on... If there's a future iteration or a bugfix needed I'll see what I can do then.

@caipi I couldn't help myself and took a shot at a balance pass for those engines just for the fun of tweaking things. Using a stock Swivel as reference, and loosely considering the nozzle ratios I came up with the following new stats for them. 25kN for the upper stage engines is just right. :)

wV2ABgi.png

Spoiler

I went a bit wild afterward and touched up a whole bunch of other things, namely the LFO tank ratios (They're currently not 0.9 : 1.1 for some reason. Fixing that and giving a little MonoProp volume over to LFO recovers at little over 16% (1/6) potential dV that is lost due to bad ratios and assuming all engines still had the same Isp curve).

NciDU2j.jpg

I made it so that when you toggle the command pod's thermal tiles, you affect Ablator and heat tolerance, which I brought down to sane levels. Note that the 800 Ablator shown by KER's Resources panel is all in the nose on top of the command pod. The B9PS color palette and info texts also have some substance too. Dark + Red = styles containing Ablator.

to1j1Fz.jpg

And I made the Hab engines hold fuel. (Cloned sphere bread tank for reference.)

g1n2Tav.jpg

P89Nfyi.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar Wow, that looks great, especially the fuel tank touch ups. Could you share the config files or mm patches?

I always hate balancing or changing engine stats myself because I fear that I would make them too OP and favor stats that I would want to see rather than what's "realistic" (kerbalistic? I mean of course realistic in terms of the game and its universe).

@bcink No pressure! I wasn't actually asking for a patch or a correction. I was just kind of wondering if that was intended or if I missed something about the engines. I totally understand and I am grateful for this awesome mod! I really like the parts/the mod in general. :)

@caipi I made it not as MM patches as I intend at the end for @bcink to receive the (integrated) config updates and release them. Here's a Download Direct (baddum tish) link for the first preview. Unzip and overwrite the MarsDirect folder in your GameData. Nothing except .cfg's (and the MH stuff) are in it. The Readme.txt includes my changelog and to-do.

34 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Will it break if one uses Restock and Restock+ mods alongside?

in short does your mod use stock textures?

Awesome update, I understand now why it took so long to put together.

No, it will not break if you use it with restock.

Restock just basically adds new textures to existing stock parts, and Duna Direct adds new parts. Restock will not conflict with any mod except for Ven's Stock Revamp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.