Rocket noodle problems

8 hours ago, mrgreco said:

i need help my ship is like rubber

Perhaps you need Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. :) 

But try to use Autostruts first, it usually solve this kind of problem without adding yet another add-on to your stack. in Career, you need to develop Strut Tech to unlock AutoStruts (and Struts at all).

On the other hand, you are really lazy, I found this:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1479/FullAutoStrut

Edited by Lisias
grammars… {sigh)

2 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

I use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement as one of my 'must have' mods.  I have no idea why the developers still have noodle rockets as the default situation in KSP.  It's a right royal pain in the proverbial.

Its hilariously fitting for how light hearted and cartoony the game is.

Whilst the game is light hearted and cartoony, it's one of few that follows Newtonian physics when moving about in space, so has a serious heart behind it all.  Rockets that wobble their way in to space are a pain for seasoned players to sort out, and a definite off-putter for new players who may not understand that wobbly rockets are a built in design flaw rather than a problem with their rocket building skills.

46 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Rockets that wobble their way in to space are a pain for seasoned players to sort out

Not really. It's an issue fixed very very early in the tech tree with the strut tech. Really, if you run into this issue before you have strut tech, then you were building pretty silly rockets for the tech you had available.

I have a hard time imagining a design that isn't ridiculous that could trigger noodle rocket syndrome, while the player also has a launch pad capable of launching it, and doesnt have struts unlocked yet. 

Maybe in science mode. But not in Career or Free mode.

Edited by ZL647

25 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

If the problem can be solved with the use of a mod, why don't the developers include that mod's function in the vanilla game?

They did -- its called 'auto strut'.  The stock implementation just isn't as 'automatic' as its name would imply (and certainly not as automatic as KJR).  Stock auto-strut and KJR do almost the exact same things, user-interface differences aside.

It's not a very elegant solution then, as I've been playing KSP for years and have never used auto strut or even know how it works.  The whole advantage of KJR is that you don't actually need to do anything for it to work; it just does it's thing in the background.  I assume you need to do something manually to get auto strut to work.

41 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

It's not a very elegant solution then, as I've been playing KSP for years and have never used auto strut or even know how it works.  The whole advantage of KJR is that you don't actually need to do anything for it to work; it just does it's thing in the background.  I assume you need to do something manually to get auto strut to work.

You have to do something manually to get a lot of things in the game to work. You just draw the line on the far side of specifying structural points.

editing to add:

I like strutting. I always have. It's an art form to find the specific piece that needs to be strutted so you don't have to strut 10 other pieces. That is less important now that struts don't add to part count or drag, but it's still important.

Realism arguments aside, I wouldn't use KJR because it would take that away from me.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Rarely have this issue anymore but ran into it today, an 3.75 meter booster with 3 large tanks and an 5 vectors, second stage is 9 LV-N and the large MK3 tank, and 3rd nuclear stage with radial LV-N, . the 9 LV-N uses the trust plate and this failed during accent even if root it the top docing port and all the engine and the fins are docked to root while some top parts is linked to bottom, my solution was griders around the 9 LV-N trust plate and fairing. 
4 small hard points or similar on tank below and tank above, link with struts and no issues 
However has an feeling that mechjeb messes up with the reaction wheels on the upper stage and the trust vectoring and fins on booster on an long rocket. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.