Is there a trick to getting 1.5.1 to work on a Mac?

I'm on a mid 2017 Macbook Pro running Mojave. I have four mods: Mechjeb2, Kerbal Alarm, BonVoyage, and World Stailizer, all of which are up to date. I have tried three clean installs of 1.5.1 and the MH version that goes with it, and every time I enter the game and try to go into the tracking station the game freezes and I have to force quit and restore the old version o the game from my backup drive. The same problem might occur if I try to go into another building, but the tracking station is always my first stop on starting a gaming session.

I have a little experience running KSP on MacOS 10.10. Don't know how much of it applies to current editions. Review this before proceeding:

If you install KSP Mac from Steam, the Steam client already makes sure the current user has read/write permission in the installation folder for it. If you move or copy this installation, for instance to have a different set of add-ons, make sure the new destination also has read/write permission for the current user. KSP needs to write to settings.cfg, physics.cfg, partdatabase.cfg, ksp.log, and the Saves folder. Some add-ons like Kopernicus will make additional log folders, and almost every add-on that has persistent settings will write to a config file in there somewhere.

Start with a pure stock KSP; make a copy that only has the Squad folder inside GameData. Depending on your app security settings you might need to right-click on the KSP binary and pick Open, which lets you launch unsigned apps on current MacOS editions. Then add Making History (from what little I've seen it appears to work just like any other add-on) and see if it works. Pile on the additional add-ons, one by one, until it stops working.

Sounds like the usual troubleshooting steps I spout off for KSP Windows, sure, but being written in C# for Mono, it can behave the same way across platforms.

14 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I have a little experience running KSP on MacOS 10.10. Don't know how much of it applies to current editions. Review this before proceeding:

If you install KSP Mac from Steam, the Steam client already makes sure the current user has read/write permission in the installation folder for it. If you move or copy this installation, for instance to have a different set of add-ons, make sure the new destination also has read/write permission for the current user. KSP needs to write to settings.cfg, physics.cfg, partdatabase.cfg, ksp.log, and the Saves folder. Some add-ons like Kopernicus will make additional log folders, and almost every add-on that has persistent settings will write to a config file in there somewhere.

Start with a pure stock KSP; make a copy that only has the Squad folder inside GameData. Depending on your app security settings you might need to right-click on the KSP binary and pick Open, which lets you launch unsigned apps on current MacOS editions. Then add Making History (from what little I've seen it appears to work just like any other add-on) and see if it works. Pile on the additional add-ons, one by one, until it stops working.

Sounds like the usual troubleshooting steps I spout off for KSP Windows, sure, but being written in C# for Mono, it can behave the same way across platforms.

I don't use it through steam. I installed it from the installer downloaded from the KSP store page. I am not going to buy the entire game again to get it through steam. I also do not want to have to start over, or try to open my saved game without two of the mods that include parts, that would destroy all of my current craft. I'll look into the config files.

Can anyone who works for squad help me out, preferably with an idiot proof itemized list of things to try? I'm not very capable or lucky when it comes to manipulating application mechanics or anything resembling coding.

Final Update: The problem was debris. I had over a thousand pieces of debris floating around. I've turn the debris persistence to 248 and might go lower, and it works. Shame though, I had a really impressive ring of debris going around Kerbin, and had left the wrecks of abandoned bases and stations strewn across every body in the game with solid surfaces as trophies.

Hi.

I just solved a nasty performance problem on my Mac, and perhaps this could be related to yours.

Could you please run a quick&dirty test on your machine?

Open a Terminal and:

ls -ltR --time-style=full-iso ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports
ls -lR ~/Library/IdentityServices | wc -l

And copy & paste the last 10 or 15 lines of the output.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.