[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

12 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That does sound weird :) what about if its just an ignition sound and not a low throttle?

That could work instead and is probably a better approach :D. I was just curious if the throttle method could work. 

I'll just have to make sure the new engage/ignition sound works and mix well with the running sound

@CobaltWolf btw which Plume config do you want me to add that ignition sound?

Edited by ensou04

8 hours ago, ensou04 said:
12 hours ago, Tyko said:

These are a huge improvement over stock!

I'd really love if the engines had even more oomph in the low frequency range. Whenever I've listened to a recording of a launch there's always that low rumbling that you can almost feel more than hear. It really conveys a sense of power.

Thank you,

i have already boosted low frequecies of the sounds after i made the last video. you can test it out yourself. i added a github repository in the OP for testing

The new sounds are a lot better :)  My rockets finally sound like rockets!!

Something else to look at. Currently your sounds are really quiet in the very low power ranges. I can't imagine a huge rocket engine to be a bare whisper even at 1% power. It looks like you start really scaling up the sound levels at about 20% power. It may be worth considering adding a jump in sound for anything above 0 rather than letting it scale up through 1% volume on up.

In the example below I added a point in the curves that causes it to immediately jump in volume and pitch at 0.01 level - so anything above 0 power.

{
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 0.01 0.4
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 0.01 0.6
pitch = 1.0 1.8
loop = true
}

Edited by Tyko

@Tyko ok thanks for that, i'll patch up the configs here.

So far compared to sounds that comes with realplume, my sounds are apparently too *quiet* even though my sound effects at max are already -6RMS which is actually considered very loud. so I tried matching the loudness to the kw rocketry sounds and unfortunately it destroys the sound so much due to compression which in consequence: destroys the low end.

I guess my sounds' current loudness is fine and maybe we just got used to trying to crank up the sound effects in this game we forgot to do sanity checks, the kw sounds from realplume are so loud peaking at -3RMS. 

Which means i really have to do my own engage and disengage sounds as well. 

Anywho monologue aside: in terms of progress. I have pretty much done patching up running sounds for most configs.

Edited by ensou04

I don't think they need to be any louder. I think it's the curves that could be tweaked...for example, the config below is pulled from your Hydrolox-Lower sound. Note that from 0 - 20% power the sound goes from 0 - 0.8 volume. Only after 20% power does the sound jump up. This means that at 1% power the volume is barely a whisper. I'd suggest adding a step for  "volume = 0.01 0.4" or something like that. This would cause the engines to start making noticeable sound as soon as they were "on" = > 0% throttle.

AUDIO
            {
                name = running
                clip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/sound_lqd_medium
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.2 0.8
                volume = 1.0 1.7

Pushed an update to the Github Repository

Made patches for the following:

• Hydrogen-NTR
  • Hydrogen-NTR-HighTemp
  • Hydrolox-Upper
  • Hypergolic-Upper
  • Kerolox-Upper

I made the volume curves more immediate rather than linear as per @Tyko suggestion.

Also now volume is controlled by the plumeScale while pitch is controled by energy

here's an example:

@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Kerolox-Lower]]:FOR[zzRocketSoundEnhancement]:NEEDS[RealPlume]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @Kerolox-Lower
        {
            !AUDIO{}
            AUDIO
            {
                name = running
                channel = Ship
                clip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/sound_lqd_heavy
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = #$../../../PLUME[Kerolox-Lower]/plumeScale$
                volume = #$../../../PLUME[Kerolox-Lower]/plumeScale$

@volume,1 *= 0.8
                @volume,1 ^= :^:0.01 :
                @volume,2 *= 1.5
                @volume,2 ^= :^:1.0 :

pitch = #$../../../PLUME[Kerolox-Lower]/energy$
                pitch = #$../../../PLUME[Kerolox-Lower]/energy$

@pitch,0 *= 0.5
                @pitch,0 ^= :^:0.0 :
                @pitch,1 ^= :^:1.0 :

loop = true
            }
            AUDIO
            {
                name = crackle
                channel = Ship
                clip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/sound_crackle
                volume = 0.5 0.0
                volume = 1.0 1.0

pitch = 1.0 0.8

loop = true
            }
        }
    }
}

the reason for why Im multiplying the volume at 100% throttle with 1.5 is to make sure nothing goes super quiet like the small red thrusters. Although I assume everything that goes beyond 1.0 is capped because I doubt unity accepts volume levels beyond that as you cant do it in unity editor

Edited by ensou04

13 hours ago, ensou04 said:

That could work instead and is probably a better approach :D. I was just curious if the throttle method could work. 

I'll just have to make sure the new engage/ignition sound works and mix well with the running sound

@CobaltWolf btw which Plume config do you want me to add that ignition sound?

I'm not sure, I was looking to be able to use that for my Titan first stage engines which use Hypergolic-Lower. I don't think it occurred to me this couldn't be done on a per-engine basis, rather than per-preset? Since that noise is something really unique to the Titans as I understand it.

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, ensou04 said:

Pushed an update to the Github Repository

Made patches for the following:

• Hydrogen-NTR
  • Hydrogen-NTR-HighTemp
  • Hydrolox-Upper
  • Hypergolic-Upper
  • Kerolox-Upper

Just did my first actual mission with the new sounds and RealPlume. Previously I'd quit using RP because some of the audio clips had repetitive sounds that drove my OCD crazy :D 

Your upgraded sounds added a whole new level of Awesome to my game play. Thanks so much! 

Getting about 48 module manager errors related to two patches - Hypergolic-OMS-Red and -White.cfg. The errors look like this (or similar):

[LOG 17:41:00.500] [ModuleManager] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-OMS-Red/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-OMS-Red]] to NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Engine/orbital-engine/orbital-engine-125-1/PART
[ERR 17:41:00.500] [ModuleManager] Error - Failed to do a maths replacement: AUDIO : original value="0.2 0.5" operator=Multiply mod value="1.7"

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm not sure, I was looking to be able to use that for my Titan first stage engines which use Hypergolic-Lower. I don't think it occurred to me this couldn't be done on a per-engine basis, rather than per-preset? Since that noise is something really unique to the Titans as I understand it.

yeah you can set it up per engine actually. we could do a final pass once all patches are applied and replace the ignition sound for your engine specifically

25 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Getting about 48 module manager errors related to two patches - Hypergolic-OMS-Red and -White.cfg. The errors look like this (or similar):

[LOG 17:41:00.500] [ModuleManager] Applying update RocketSoundEnhancement/Patches/Hypergolic-OMS-Red/@PART[*]:HAS[@EFFECTS:HAS[@Hypergolic-OMS-Red]] to NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Engine/orbital-engine/orbital-engine-125-1/PART
[ERR 17:41:00.500] [ModuleManager] Error - Failed to do a maths replacement: AUDIO : original value="0.2 0.5" operator=Multiply mod value="1.7"

those errors are expected but it shouldn't break the game. 

Edited by ensou04

OMG this is without a doubt the mod I have been waiting for the longest since I started playing back in 2016. PizzaOverhead gave it a good shot back then but I've not turned on sound in the game for years, and I've pointedly refused to include sound in my launch videos unless I could find a suitable sound byte from a similar real-life launch, like this:

I understand this mod will not be able to do the atmospheric effects like the volume fading with distance and echoing and all that - hopefully the BDA team can revive that portion of CameraTools (if it isn't already? I will have to find out now that there is sound worth listening to! :P)

Keep up the great work @ensou04 you are filling the last big gap in the KSP experience!

Edit: yea, the astronauts were up-close and personal for this launch! :)

Spoiler
Hunkered in the Bunker

Edited by Drew Kerman

1 hour ago, Drew Kerman said:

OMG this is without a doubt the mod I have been waiting for the longest since I started playing back in 2016. PizzaOverhead gave it a good shot back then but I've not turned on sound in the game for years, and I've pointedly refused to include sound in my launch videos unless I could find a suitable sound byte from a similar real-life launch, like this:

I understand this mod will not be able to do the atmospheric effects like the volume fading with distance and echoing and all that - hopefully the BDA team can revive that portion of CameraTools (if it isn't already? I will have to find out now that there is sound worth listening to! :P)

Keep up the great work @ensou04 you are filling the last big gap in the KSP experience!

Edit: yea, the astronauts were up-close and personal for this launch! :)

Reveal hidden contents

Hunkered in the Bunker

Thank you! 

And wow thats an awesome launch clip. I almost forgot that bunker existed :D

I was experimenting inside Unity yesterday when it comes to audio filters, i was playing around with Reverb and Lowpass filters. Im wanting to revisit another mod of mine back then called ShipEffects and rewrite the entire thing. At the same time add some Distant based filters 

I think the filtes in CameraTools are still bugged last time i used it it didnt have doppler effect but it did have sonic booms.

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

What we now need is getting rid off the hard-coded stock staging sound ...
:confused:

wait that's still a limitation? I havent checked it

--

Anyhow im trying to make an SRB sound so if you guys have a good reference i can base it on please share it here. 

7 hours ago, ensou04 said:

Anyhow im trying to make an SRB sound so if you guys have a good reference i can base it on please share it here. 

These are some I looked at for the booster audio of my sounding rockets. I know you were probably asking for bigger but would be nice to have a smaller SRB sound as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-aghNjEMD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaI0n521C7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNGONdDL2OI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GAWIujoms

6 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

These are some I looked at for the booster audio of my sounding rockets. I know you were probably asking for bigger but would be nice to have a smaller SRB sound as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-aghNjEMD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaI0n521C7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNGONdDL2OI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GAWIujoms

This is perfect thanks! i was asking for both uber big and sounding small :D

On 11/8/2018 at 7:08 PM, ensou04 said:

yeah you can set it up per engine actually. we could do a final pass once all patches are applied and replace the ignition sound for your engine specifically

Alright, cool! We already have all the engines set up on a per-engine config bases in our RealPlume patches so that shouldn't be an issue. :)

Pre-release now available!

Download

Changelog: (pre-v0.1.0)

New Solid Rocket Booster Sounds

Running Sound Patches:
- Hydrogen-NTR
- Hydrogen-NTR-HighTemp
- Hydrolox-Lower
- Hydrolox-Upper
- Hypergolic-Lower
- Hypergolic-OMS-Red
- Hypergolic-OMS-White
- Hypergolic-Upper
- Kerolox-Lower
- Kerolox-Lower-F1
- Kerolox-Upper
- Kerolox-Vernier
- Solid-Lower
- Solid-Sepmotor
- Solid-Upper
- Solid-Vacuum

Edited by ensou04

Earlier i was trying to make a plugin that adds a Lowpass filter and enables Doppler effects to all ship sounds but for some reason I cant add it to the running/power sounds of the engines,  everything else was working fine like Ignition and Decouplers. I spent like an entire day trying to figure it out but i give up.

I wanted to do something like this mockup i did inside Unity

Edited by ensou04