[1.12.3] Rocket Sound Enhancement - Plugin: v0.9.6 - 07/09/22 | Config Pack: v1.2.4 - 07/09/22

ensou04

23 minutes ago, ensou04 said:

not my first rodeo with ksp tho, but i was hoping everything was better now on the plugin side

still, not surprising :( thx for the try tho that would have been great! We'll need a plugin coder to come along with the will to enable this. But you know what, with things sounding as great as they are now, maybe more people would be interested in bothering with it!

4 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

still, not surprising :( thx for the try tho that would have been great! We'll need a plugin coder to come along with the will to enable this. But you know what, with things sounding as great as they are now, maybe more people would be interested in bothering with it!

yeah it would have made the sounds way more better. One would imagine it would be as simple as finding all the audio sources then apply a lowpass filter on top of it but no :(

I was checking Camera Tools' code as well and it seems like for the past few Updates, it also kinda broke. no more Doppler effect and falloff.

8 hours ago, ensou04 said:

yeah it would have made the sounds way more better. One would imagine it would be as simple as finding all the audio sources then apply a lowpass filter on top of it but no :(

I was checking Camera Tools' code as well and it seems like for the past few Updates, it also kinda broke. no more Doppler effect and falloff.

oof so you're saying KSP fundamentally is possibly broken in this regard? Again, wouldn't be surprising - they never put much effort into the sounds IMO

I just launched a rocket with 1x F-1A and 2x LR-101 verniers - imho the verniers were to prominent, I didn't have the feeling that I can hear the F-1A but only the verniers ...

The mid-to-high frequency of the verniers also overpowered the frequency range of the Kerolox-Lower-F1

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The mid-to-high frequency of the verniers also overpowered the frequency range of the Kerolox-Lower-F1

55 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I agree with @Gordon Dry that verniers and other small engine sounds, might need a volume check. 

Ok ill check it out later

Ok i fixed the small engine volumes 

Download: https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/releases/tag/0.1.1

--

Although upon checking up Realplume configs for SquadExpansion.

The Plume applied to the RV-1 'Cub' Vernier Engine was Kerolox-Lower. was this a mistake?

@PART[LiquidEngineRV-1]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen] // RV-1 'Cub' Vernier Engine
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Lower
        transformName = thrustTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,0.5
        plumePosition = 0,0,0.5
        plumeScale = 0.5
        flareScale = 0.5
        energy = 1.0
        speed = 0.6
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName = Kerolox-Lower
    }
}

Edited by ensou04

I was not going to give up easily on those sound effects filters. Instead of trying to meddle with stock sound effects modules. I created my own audio effects module instead.

lowpass is a new curve that controls the distance/lowpass ratio. distance is in meters while the value is in hz.

Added a bunch new controls as well: maxDistance, rolloffMode (linear,logarithmic). lowpassResQ and Doppler. Although i noticed that the Doppler effect is disabled globally for some reason, i'll find a way to enable it

RSE_AUDIO
{
	name = crackle
	channel = Ship
	clip = RocketSoundEnhancement/Sounds/sound_crackle
	rolloffMode = Linear
	maxDistance = 20000
	lowpassResQ = 1.2
	doppler = 5

lowpass = 0.0 22000
	lowpass = 50.0 10000
	lowpass = 5000 2000
	lowpass = 20000 200

volume = 0.5 0.0
	volume = 1.0 1.0

pitch = 1.0 0.8

loop = true
}

Here's a "teaser"

Test Videos:

Spoiler

Edited by ensou04

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

"Dumb" or even not dumb question:

Is the delay by speed of sound taken into account on doppler effect measures?
If yes, by design or with extra hassle?

If not, too much of a hassle or possible?

Im not sure, but i was reading somewhere in Unity that it is based on some sort of speed of sound but I doubt it meant sound delay.

Camera Tools does its own sound delay and my plugin is actually very compatible with it's sound effects. albeit not all of its sound effects are working at a moment, just the sound delay and sonic booms going pass mach 1

--

The new plugin is pretty much done, in theory it should be a drop in replacement for AUDIO{}.  Performance wise im not sure how much of an impact it does but compared to the original AudioFX code, RSE_Audio is pretty straightforward and simple. I'll device a way to change decoupler and launchclamp sounds as well.

I'll probably put it up soon together with the new configs. First i need to tinker with the lowpass settings and see what sounds best. 

On a second note, Due to this changes, i dont think my SRB sounds likes being lowpassed as much as it doesnt sound as good as I expect them to be so I might make a new set of SRB sound effects for this.

I uploaded the source to the repository, you can check it out for the meantime: https://github.com/ensou04/RocketSoundEnhancement/tree/master/Source

Edited by ensou04

15 hours ago, ensou04 said:

I was not going to give up easily on those sound effects filters. Instead of trying to meddle with stock sound effects modules. I created my own audio effects module instead.

SWEET  :) 

After some fiddling around, fixing some bugs(sanity errors) I can say the new plugin is now ready. I also added a random start position for looped sounds so we never encounter wierd chorusing and phasing effects we get from the stock audio when using multiple identical engines on one spacecraft.

I also finally managed to make a more realistic and smooth lowpass rolloff together with improved sound effects loops. Now the crackles and pops are more "life-like"

Edited by ensou04

11 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I'm not sure if this is because of this mod:

Log gets spammed with this on ion engines

Cannot assign AudioClip 'sound_IonEngine' to AudioFX

i dont think its RSE, 

RSE has no patches for any ion plume and Realplume patches isnt adding sounds to Ion engines as well. 
is the Ion engine the stock one?  

Looking at Squad's Ion engine's plume looks like its here. but I don't think sound_IonEngine exists anywhere I know. we could actually try fixing it instead but i have no ion sound effects as of this moment

IonPlume
{
	AUDIO
	{
		channel = Ship
		clip = sound_IonEngine
		volume = 0.0 0.0
		volume = 0.05 0.20
		volume = 1.0 0.25
		pitch = 0.0 0.2
		pitch = 1.0 0.8
		loop = true
	}
	MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
	{
		modelName = Squad/FX/IonPlume
		transformName = thrustTransform
		emission = 0.0 0.0
		emission = 0.25 0.5			
		emission = 1.0 1.0
		//speed = 0.0 0.0
		//speed = 1.0 1.0
		localPosition = 0, 0, 0.12
	}
}

Edited by ensou04

Working on a new sound effect feature, the Thumper! 

It'll have three parameters: Amount of Thump, Rate and Sensitivity 

It works by looking at the change in thrust per second. Sensitivity will control this. And then if conditions are met, it changes the Pitch(Amount) till it decays over time(Rate).

hard to explain what it does so i'll just show it:

On another note, i want to revert all ignition sound effects back to stock as well for now so we have a more consistent volume levels. For now at least while i work on RSE's own ignition effects.

Edited by ensou04

This has grown wonderfully! I can't wait to try it out.

I'm completely curious how this will interact with audio muffler, which primarily affects how much is heard outside the craft depending on the altitude (air density) as well as muffling the sounds in IVA.

@Gordon Dry yeah not all plumes have been patched yet. i'll get to them eventually maybe on the next update.

@Beetlecat I have a feeling that this wont work well with Audio Muffler (muffling wont work) because we can only apply one lowpass filter for each sound source. Worry not audio muffling is on the plan list of features which shouldn't be hard to do now as Im using my own AudioFX effects node

18 hours ago, ensou04 said:

@Gordon Dry yeah not all plumes have been patched yet. i'll get to them eventually maybe on the next update.

@Beetlecat I have a feeling that this wont work well with Audio Muffler (muffling wont work) because we can only apply one lowpass filter for each sound source. Worry not audio muffling is on the plan list of features which shouldn't be hard to do now as Im using my own AudioFX effects node

Nice. I was guessing this could come next, as you're already accounting for position / perspective.  Cheers! :D